Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2013, 09:50 PM   #406
section9
Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Paramount's ace in the hole? What you are starting to read from MAINSTREAM critics: approval and the notion that this is a MUST SEE film for the ordinary moviegoer.

Yes, the purist fanboi over at AICN and IMDB will bitch up a storm.

JJ didn't make the movie for them. He made it for the mass audience.
Old April 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #407
Flake
Commodore

He had to make it for mass audience because you don't spend nearly $300 million filming and distributing a movie worldwide to appeal to old school trekkies only.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:07 PM   #408
Austin 3:16
Commander

I would like to ask again: do we hear the Klingon theme in this movie when they show the Klingons? You know, the Klingon theme that was first played in TMP.
Austin 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:54 PM   #409
Flake
Commodore

I haven't seen the movie but I have seen the clip of Kirk in his little ship on Kronos and I think we can hear Giachinnos Klingon theme during the chase. So my guess is no we won't hear TMP Klingon theme.
Old April 25 2013, 11:23 PM   #410
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

GIVE ME KEENSER SPOILERS NOW.
Old April 25 2013, 11:54 PM   #411
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

In retrospect TSFS is not a very good movie; it's interstitial. It's among the worst written of the features, but Nimoy works well with the cast.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:01 AM   #412
Flake
Commodore

I love search for Spock. The crew really do come together in that one, willing to sacrifice all for their friend. Has some great lines and a memorable villain and very memorable scenes. Its underrated!
Old April 26 2013, 12:06 AM   #413
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

If I put my critical viewing cap on, I'd say there have been two very good (TWOK, 09), three good (TVH, TUC, First Contact), four mediocre (TMP, TSFS, Generations, Insurrection) and two bad (TFF, Nemesis) Trek films--my general criteria being in comparison to similar kinds of films with similar kinds of ambitions.

However, when it comes to Trek (as it does with Bond--two franchises I came to as a kid and which provoke feelings of nostalgia), I rarely put that critical viewing cap on. I have my own hierarchy of favourites, but I have enjoyed every series and every film (a few episodes I find ridiculous, scattered across series, that I will probably never re-watch--none of the films has been as bad as the worst of the series episodes, though). I overlook all sorts of shortcomings that I would not overlook in other films outside Bond and Trek. Don't really have a rational explanation for it--it just is. So I'm sure I'll enjoy this film quite a bit too. It will certainly be the best looking of all of them.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:08 AM   #414
JackSparrowJive
Ensign

First of all...first post! =P

That said, it seems there are 2 different types of complaints regarding the plot of the new movie:

A) JJ is just being lazy re-using Khan.

B) People dont like the way the Khan story is told, for varying reasons.

To the second group, you have a valid opinion which I wont argue with. However this opinion is no different than not liking the plot of the first movie. Its just a problem with the storytelling.

To the first group, I will say that perhaps the 2nd movie was too soon to use the character Khan. However I would like to make the point that the character of Khan still existed even in this alternate timeline even if he wasnt the focus of the 2nd movie. He was still floating out there in the Botany Bay, and some ship was still going to find him. Thats just a fact.

So while the 2nd movie may have been a little too soon *feeling* to use that character, the fact is that character was in this timeline and was going to be found, so this particular story is just the way it turned out. If a few more movies are made, perhaps it will feel better to place this particular story later on in the series of movies and substitute the 2nd spot for some later story. But either way, Khan was coming eventually.
JackSparrowJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:18 AM   #415
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'm glad the spoilers have put me off seeing it? Means I've saved a chunk of money and time.
Oh, please, don't act like reading the spoilers finally tipped the scales for you. You've been way too invested in your persona here to contend that you had an open mind about the movie up until this point. You've spent too much time and energy ranting about the movie you haven't seen yet, Abrams, the writers, and the fans to turn back now.

It's been perfectly obvious how you were going to react to the movie for months now:

1) Complain endlessly and irrationally for months in threads discussing the movie you knew little about and insult anyone who is a fan of the previous film and who might enjoy this one.

2) Pick an important moment to grandstand in a thread about the movie and self-righteously announce that you aren't going to waste your money on this abomination like all the Abrams sheeple and that you were no longer going to post here.

3) Pay to go see the movie in theaters so you can know the details enough to argue about it despite promising you wouldn't go see it and that you would stay away from the discussions.

4) Never admit that you paid to see the movie, and instead proudly insist that you saw a bootleg of the film at a "friend's house" so that you can claim to argue from authority, brag about not paying, and still not feel guilty about stealing because it wasn't you, it was "a friend."

5) ???

6) Profit!!!

A Wrath of Khan blockbuster pastiche set on Earth and featuring magic blood?
Again, how is regenerative properties in Augment blood more implausible than a magical light up dildo that creates entire habitable planets out of dust and brings Spock back from the dead? The transformative properties of Augment DNA have already been established in prior canon on Enterprise. Deal with it.

How retarded do they think the audience is exactly?
You know, I would be fine with you guys having a negative opinion about the films if you just restricted it to that. But you always have to take it that one extra step and insult the intelligence of the fans who have a different opinion from you, and that's why you're so insufferable.

Plus, "retarded," really? Stay classy.

Star Trek on film is fucking dead to me now. I'll be staying out of this section and focusing on Trek literature to take my minds off this jizz-covered shit. Anti-intellectualism is dangerous and entirely uncool.

See you in a few weeks after you see the "bootleg" at your "friend's house" and predictably return to tell us how despite your total open mindedness the movie is a complete piece of shit just like you've said it would be all along. Abrams' "slimy face" will enjoy spending the money that you said you wouldn't spend on seeing the movie.
Old April 26 2013, 12:20 AM   #416
Flake
Commodore

^^ Brilliant
Old April 26 2013, 01:45 AM   #417
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

DalekJim wrote:
Anti-intellectualism is dangerous and entirely uncool.
I guess unfounded arrogance due to a hyper-inflated superiority complex is where it's really at then, huh?
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 02:11 AM   #418
Devon
Fleet Captain

DalekJim sneezed on his keyboard. This is what he really meant to say:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...2&postcount=14

I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!
Old April 26 2013, 02:45 AM   #419
section9
Commander

Not only that, Variety is tracking STID to do an 85 million dollar opening. Pretty damn good for a trek film.
Old April 26 2013, 02:46 AM   #420
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Okay, you've been warned - a lengthy and somewhat disjointed synopsis of the movie from someone at IMDB.

Okay, I admit it, I have NO willpower! I lasted two days! That means something right? I don't have a problem. I can stop whenever I want.

So...it sounds fantastic, but I have one question and it's kinda silly: