RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 544
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2013, 06:39 PM   #16
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

So to discuss a couple of points of the movie -

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:15 PM   #17
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die!
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I loved the first one and was very disappointed in the second. I had great hopes for this when Shane Black on board, and I'm pleased to say that they were realised.

While this movie had as many potential pitfalls as 2 - large supporting cast, second chap in metal suit, the novelty wearing off, RDJ out of the suit for large periods of time - Black and his co-writer Drew Pearce held it together a lot better than did Favreau and Justin Theroux.

Guy Pearce's character could have been a clone of Sam Rockwell's but while I like Rockwell, he didn't work for me in IM2; Pearce, however, was great fun, despite his initial somewhat OTT appearance. Former 24 alumni James Badge Dale did a lot of good stuff with a character who somehow ought to have been less memorable than he was, if you know what I mean! The Mandarin's depiction will alienate as many viewers as entertain but I thought Kingsley's performance was brilliant and ticked all the boxes it was meant to tick.

Black's decision to take Stark out of the suit(s) for so long worked well, as he knows how to get a great performance from his leading man and really mine his charm (exhibit A - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). The movie had definite Lethal Weapon/ Last Boy Scout vibes at time. Black's comments that it would be like a Tom Clancy political thriller weren't too far off the mark, though it reminded me of a more fantastic 24 at times - not just the Dale involvement but the climactic scenes too.

I've no hesitation in voting Excellent.
Old April 26 2013, 08:31 PM   #19
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I guess, although I figure if you're willing to stay up til 230ish you can wait an extra few minutes.

I do agree it was frustrating that it was all the way at the end. To me it makes sense to put it after the animated bit of the credits.
Well it depends on their schedules, most people work day shift schedules so I'm sure they're ready to go home. Plus, the end credits on a blockbuster are much longer these days and even I don't have the patience to sit through them any longer. Especially not for 30 seconds of fluff. For Iron Man, yeah, because it basically said "the Avengers are coming" but the "shwarma" thing? No.
Old April 27 2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Think it's my favourite of the three, I'll have to see it again to be sure, though I am sure that Ben Kingsley stole the show.
Old April 27 2013, 04:51 PM   #21
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Just got back from seeing it and I gotta say, I am LOVING that we are getting these flicks before America! For once we are not getting spoiled! IM3 opened here the day before ANZAC Day on 24/4!!!

I really loved the abundance of humour in this film - there were several laugh out loud moments. The "I knew you were cold, because we're connected" scene and the bit where Tony makes fun of the kid because his dad left him(you know what I mean)had the entire cinema cracking up laughing! They were GENUINELY funny moments and not the usual, "Oh, it's a kid so we must validate his precious psyche" - it was more like, "Toughen up princess - life sucks sometimes!"

More kids need this treatment.

For the unfortunate who have not seen it yet - except for the airplane rescue(one of THE MOST THRILLING moments I have seen in film in a VERY LONG TIME!!!), this film DOES NOT need to be seen in 3D. The 3D adds VERY LITTLE to the film and, even worse, since a LOT of this movie takes place at night, it is already quite dark. The rookie director who has taken over the helm also does not really know how to make a film for 3D so the final battle scene, on the rigging, in the dark was, at times hard to follow and see what was happening to the various Iron Mans who turned up to save the day. This was a real pity as they had obviously designed them all differently and you could barely see them!

See it in 2D and you will have pretty much the same experience, except for, as I already said, the BRILLIANT plane rescue. That scene LITERALLY took my breath away!!!

Oh and the Mandarin was AWESOME!!! When we got to his second video feed, after killing the accountant I thought, "WOW - how the fuck is this going to play in Buttfuck Montana to Joe Sixpack and his pregnant sixteen year old cousin?!?" This was TOO real and LITERALLY ripped from the headlines - it made you feel uncomfortable because I felt like I was watching a live news feed(complete with Joan Rivers - AWESOME!!!), rather than a fun popcorn movie. When it is revealed the "Mandarin" is actually a dopey English actor named Trevor Slattery, who has all the character flaws of a Z-grade panto thespian, that was FUCKING HILARIOUS!!! What made it even more appropriate was his voice was done SO BADLY you are thinking to yourself, "I cannot take this villain seriously - he actually pronounces "America" the same way Cleveland does; "A-merca". The reveal explains EXACTLY why he sounds so fucking stupid!

Anyway, what was becoming a little bit too dark and ponderous and threatening to collapse under the weight of its own pretension(read: fucking Dark Knight/Rises/Returns or whatever the fuck), suddenly became a HILARIOUS and funny gag with a great comedic character - the anti Heath Ledger/Bane/whatever.

LOVED IT - GENIUS!!!!

So - see this in 2D and roll on STAR TREK, which we are also getting early - EIGHT DAYS before America! Go Australia!!!!!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

While the film isn't quite what I expected (the Extremis soldiers and the Mandarin twist primarily), I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot more in repeat viewings once I accept what the film for the story it told, and not for the story I thought it would tell. All that aside, I nonetheless loved the twist in regards to the Mandarin and I know a lot of hard core fans are going to be pissed (kind of how I felt with all of the Spider-Man films).

Lots of great humor, character building (great character study for post-Avengers Tony), action sequences, great use of the entire cast (from Paltrow and Cheadle to Pearce and Kingsley as well as the unexpected appearance of James Badge Dale), and unexpected turns in the story. The Extremis soldiers aside, about the only thing that really bugged me about the film was the absence of Harley's mother. Where was she? Surely she was concerned that her son was hanging out with someone who could put her child in danger. A minor, but persistent quibble.

The falling passengers sequence was incredibly intense and I expected only four people would survive (despite what the trailers had us believing), although I'm sure the way survived wasn't actually possible. But who cares? This is a film about a guy who fights and flies around in an armor suit.

Edit: I loved the post-credits scene with Mark Ruffalo reprising his role as Bruce Banner, especially considering I expected Tony talking to an annoyed Nick Fury. Speaking of which, I was surprised Samuel L. Jackson didn't make an appearance. While from a story standpoint, it's better for the film not feature Fury, this is the first Avengers-verse film not to feature Jackson (aside from The Incredible Hulk which does and doesn't count).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 09:31 PM   #23
MacLeod
Admiral

I'm going to go with a 7.5/10.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Geez by the time this comes out in America, the rest of the world will be onto "Star Trek"!!!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:14 PM   #25
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Emh wrote: View Post
Edit: I loved the post-credits scene with Mark Ruffalo reprising his role as Bruce Banner, especially considering I expected Tony talking to an annoyed Nick Fury.
I'd be up for a low-budget "Science Bros" movie with Ruffalo and Robert Downey jr.
Old April 29 2013, 02:18 PM   #26
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Edit: I loved the post-credits scene with Mark Ruffalo reprising his role as Bruce Banner, especially considering I expected Tony talking to an annoyed Nick Fury.
I'd be up for a low-budget "Science Bros" movie with Ruffalo and Robert Downey jr.
Sounds great to me... here's the poster for it.
Old April 29 2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Sounds great to me... here's the poster for it.
Sold! I want this now. Hell, we don't even need to see their alter egos for the show to work.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 11:55 PM   #28
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Well, how about an animated Iron Man and Hulk movie?
Old April 30 2013, 11:44 PM   #29
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Here's a silly minor spoiler question--

During my recent re-watch, I noticed a recurring joke in the first two movies. In the first movie, Stane tells Stark to "Hold still, you little prick". In IM2, after Sen. Stern sticks Stark with his own medal he says, "It's amazing how annoying a little prick can be, isn't it?" I never even noticed it until watching them back-to-back. Is that joke perpetuated in IM3?
Old May 1 2013, 12:31 AM   #30
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Here's a silly minor spoiler question--

During my recent re-watch, I noticed a recurring joke in the first two movies. In the first movie, Stane tells Stark to "Hold still, you little prick". In IM2, after Sen. Stern sticks Stark with his own medal he says, "It's amazing how annoying a little prick can be, isn't it?" I never even noticed it until watching them back-to-back. Is that joke perpetuated in IM3?

LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote