Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 25 2013, 01:41 PM   #106
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile
Re: Why did Trip have to die in the final episode?

They had it in for not only T'Pol but for Tucker's parents. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Tucker II lost their daughter in the Xindi attack, their only grandchild due to a genetic issue and then they lost their sole surviving child in TATV.
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:17 PM   #107
T'Parm
Captain

jespah wrote: View Post
They had it in for not only T'Pol but for Tucker's parents. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Tucker II lost their daughter in the Xindi attack, their only grandchild due to a genetic issue and then they lost their sole surviving child in TATV.
You forget Trip has a brother and all indication is that he is still alive, it is also possible that he also has an older sister when you consider Jon's question if the sister that was in Florida was older or younger.
T'Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:48 PM   #108
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I had two sisters, both much older than me, so it was always difficult distinguishing which one I meant when talking about them. Now there's just one.
Old April 25 2013, 07:39 PM   #109
Chanukahjes
Commodore

View Chanukahjes's Twitter Profile

T'Parm wrote: View Post
jespah wrote: View Post
You forget Trip has a brother and all indication is that he is still alive, it is also possible that he also has an older sister when you consider Jon's question if the sister that was in Florida was older or younger.
Ah, thanks. Still, they did get smacked around by the writers.
Chanukahjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:48 PM   #110
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
S4 should come with a warning: If you want to end this series on a high note, please avoid "These Are The Voyages". Thank you.
You know, I agree with those who say that spoilers, even for this 8 year old stinker, should not be in thread titles, but if I knew someone who was watching the show for the first time, I would tell them, "look, I got a spoiler you need to know about BEFORE you finish the series".

TaTV spoilers were first dropped on the internet several weeks before the episode aired right here in this forum. To this day I still thank Quills for that favor. Because if I'd watched that episode thinking it was going to be a continuation of the greatness I'd seen starting with season 3, I'd have been ready to put my foot through the screen and would have missed the only good thing about TaTV.

I actually envy those who have never watched it and advise anyone who loves the show to just skip it, especially Trip fans.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:39 PM   #111
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Braga wrote:
Trip was always my favorite character on the show and I wanted to….I just wanted to kill him.
Psychological issues?

Braga wrote:
I cant give you a coherent response.
Morons seldom can.

Braga wrote:
We wanted to do something that had emotional impact and had consequences which is something we were never allowed to do.
Alzheimer's is a bitch, isn't it? (Kirk, ST VII)
Old April 25 2013, 09:44 PM   #112
R. Star
Rear Admiral

^
Real classy.
Old April 25 2013, 09:50 PM   #113
BruntFCA
Commander

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
From interviews, alledgedly this was an episode that had been on the drawing board prior to them getting notice of cancellation. Rick and Brannon initially thought of presenting the episode as a "look in to the future" episode to show the formation of the Federation and killing Trip. Had ENT continued on for a full 7 seasons Trip would've still been on the show because his death technically wouldn't have happened yet.

It's a rubbish idea for faux drama and it backfired heavily at B&B. If Demons and Terra Prime were the last episodes of ENT truly. Fans and the actors could've left the series on somewhat of a high and with a good taste in their mouths. But no. This "Valentine to the fans" was shoved in as a "homage" to all Star Trek as "a holographic history lesson". Even Berman admits he would never have done the episode had he known the reaction to it.

The episode IMO is lazy, mean spirited and poor.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
Dramatically speaking, a character dying is a good way of showing that a price has been paid for peace or whatever has has been gained.

A good example of this is Spock in The Wrath of Khan.

A good example of doing this horribly wrong in a way that seems like a senseless afterthought is Trip in These Are the Voyages.
Problem with "These are the Voyages" is that what was happening was weak compared to what the ENT crew had faced during their run. The Xindi conflict, the warp core sabotage by the Klingons, the Romulan drone ships to name a few where the stakes were higher than mere highjackers in space. Couldn't Trip just call for a security of Maco team? No, Braga had to get his rocks off killing a main character since he never got to kill 7 of 9 like he wanted to.
I don't think this is true. From what I remember Demons/Terra Prime was supposed to be 3 parts and the season finale, but when the news came in that the show was cancelled during the filming of IAMD plans were changed and B&B came up with TATV.
Old April 25 2013, 10:04 PM   #114
Bumbles861
Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
It was a holoprogram. They might have got it wrong...

Treklit thinks so.
Ya....maybe he's not dead....maybe the 5th season would have explained what REALLY happened.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:46 PM   #115
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I suspect there would have been less outcry if it had been Archer to make the ultimate sacrifice. It would have made more sense dramatically in terms of the series as a whole. Though maybe they saw that as too similar to Sisko's fate.
Old April 25 2013, 11:03 PM   #116
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
I don't think this is true. From what I remember Demons/Terra Prime was supposed to be 3 parts and the season finale, but when the news came in that the show was cancelled during the filming of IAMD plans were changed and B&B came up with TATV.
The Beebs were quoted as saying that TaTV was actually written during season 3 and would have served as the series ender if season 3 had been the last one.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:16 PM   #117
HolidayRomantic
Phloxist moderator

Re: final episode...

One TATV rant thread is enough.

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Braga wrote:
We wanted to do something that had emotional impact and had consequences which is something we were never allowed to do.
Alzheimer's is a bitch, isn't it? (Kirk, ST VII)
Dude. Joking about Alzheimer's isn't funny. Please stop.
Old April 26 2013, 12:23 AM   #118
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
Dude. Joking about Alzheimer's isn't funny.
There are dozens of cancer jokes, leukemia jokes, down-syndrome jokes, Alzheimer's jokes... It's called "black humour", and it's distasteful as hell, but it does tend to be funny. Occasionally. My grandmother died of cancer. My aunt died of leukemia. My own mother is a cancer survivor. None of them were/are offended by mere lack of taste. I even met this Jewish dude (a Trekkie BTW, and an Israeli national) who didn't even flinch when some dickhead told one of those godawful holocaust jokes...

But ironically, I wasn't trying to be funny. It was just another way of saying "you're full of shit". Like when you call someone "retarded", for saying something stupid. You don't actually mean to insult mentally handicapped people with that.
Old April 26 2013, 10:17 AM   #119
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Ya....maybe he's not dead....maybe the 5th season would have explained what REALLY happened.
In the first scene of the first episode of season five.

T'Pol wakes up, gets out of bed and walks into the bathroom.

Trip's in the shower ...

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 11:55 PM   #120
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

T'Girl that would be an epic scene, absolutely wonderful!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote