Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13 2013, 01:54 AM   #286
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Is it my imagination or is the car that nearly hit Clara's dad at the start the same car that greased Pete Tyler in Father's Day?
You're not the only one who's noticed it:

Old April 13 2013, 02:36 AM   #287
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I loved this episode because it reminded me of classic Doctor Who, it had the same formula (though usually those got several episodes to solve the issue, this one had to do it quick).

So for that classic Doctor Who feel, and formula, A+, this is what Doctor Who was, is and should be.

OH, and he mentioned his granddaughter Susan, not by name, but he said he'd been there before with his granddaughter This brought a huge smile to my face, acknowledging that she existed, and now we know of one place they went to before Earth. Maybe one day he'll answer what actually happened to her after leaving her on Earth in the future with the Daleks.

Also, glad we are back to the Doctor and the Companion just being friends, and not lovers, never did like the new plot in Doctor Who of the companions falling in love with The Doctor, or vise versa.

And BTW, I loved the singing, the songs were great, and everyone did well, I'd buy that on a soundtrack.

Only complaint, too much use of the sonic screwdriver, it is literally the deus ex machina.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:05 AM   #288
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Is it my imagination or is the car that nearly hit Clara's dad at the start the same car that greased Pete Tyler in Father's Day?
You're not the only one who's noticed it:

Close but different headlights and grille, it's more apparent if they had taken the shot a couple of seconds later. Not to say it's not supposed to evoke or possibly even be the same vehicle.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 11:15 PM   #289
Elbonannod
Cadet

I re-watched this with the subtitles on. After the Doctor offers his memories, he goes on his knees, and said something like "I can't feed you" (very quietly). I dont know if he realized it was not possible, or if he decided he did not want to do it.

Then, Clara offered the leaf and the Doctor commented on how powerful the potential energy was. I don't know if that is going to come up again this season, but I immediately thought of the weeping angels.
Elbonannod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 06:33 AM   #290
Slugboy
Commodore

Psion wrote: View Post
So telekinesis too? No problem.
For me, it wasn't so much the fact that Merry had telekinesis, but rather why she would use it against Clara.

After some thought, though, it makes more sense to me. Essentially, Merry believed that her failure had made Grandfather angry, and the only way to appease him was via her death. All of a sudden she has two strangers showing up trying to rescue her (and thus condemning her people to death, or so she thinks). One of them (the Doctor) is occupied holding a door open, while it looks like the other one (Clara) is about to grab her and take her away. So she uses her telekinesis to ensure Clara can't interfere with her sacrifice.

Once the Doctor convinces Merry that she doesn't need to sacrifice herself to prevent her people from being killed, and that doing so would simply be a waste (his whole speech was solely for her benefit), she releases Clara from her bondage.

Maybe I was just too thick to pick up on this the first time I watched it. But it is a relatively meaty part of an otherwise fluffy (in my opinion) episode. It's a pretty depressing image, though, a society where a little girl who believes she failed is willing to give her own life in recompense.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:45 AM   #291
Slugboy
Commodore

I just found out an interesting detail about this episode. Everyone probably noticed that, at the very beginning of the episode, the Doctor is reading an issue of The Beano dated 1981 (no doubt to indicate the era for the viewer).

However, a more subtle indication of the era is the song that is playing from the very beginning to when Ellie rescues her husband-to-be from getting hit by a car. It is Ghost Town, by the UK ska band The Specials, which was also released in 1981 (and was apparently a hit song). So there is both a visual and auditory clue as to the time period.

I imagine older British viewers appreciated this reference more than younger viewers or foreign viewers (like me).
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:22 AM   #292
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Slugboy wrote: View Post
I just found out an interesting detail about this episode. Everyone probably noticed that, at the very beginning of the episode, the Doctor is reading an issue of The Beano dated 1981 (no doubt to indicate the era for the viewer).

However, a more subtle indication of the era is the song that is playing from the very beginning to when Ellie rescues her husband-to-be from getting hit by a car. It is Ghost Town, by the UK ska band The Specials, which was also released in 1981 (and was apparently a hit song). So there is both a visual and auditory clue as to the time period.

I imagine older British viewers appreciated this reference more than younger viewers or foreign viewers (like me).
Imagine how a-twitter we'd all be by now if they'd chosen an Ultravox song! We'd be sure that was a clue about Clara.
Old April 25 2013, 08:43 AM   #293
Starkers
Admiral

Obviously this is a clue that Clara is either A/ A ghost or B/ The regenerated Dennis the Menace

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:06 PM   #294
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I wanted to like this as it seemed to be trying to say something very deep and meaningful about life and religion. Life - the Doctor's speech to Merry about atoms and starstuff. Religion - the Doctor says something to the vampire about "the beautiful things created on the back of your evil". However, as mentioned, the (beautiful) music needed quietening so that we could hear what the characters were saying and the story needed to be less rushed.

I am not in the camp that feels every detail needs to be explained - they could breath on the motorbike; atmosphere/forcefield, it does not matter - that they can is enough. Clara is also not visibly hungry at any point - "but the writers didn't tell us what she had for breakfast! <mockshock>..." This is where alot of people fell down in their watching of Lost - not everything needs to/will be explained.

I too was reminded of Father's Day during Clara's backstory. I'm sure it's due to nothing more than being set in the same era.