RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 448
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old April 24 2013, 11:58 PM   #331
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Hmmm, I can only find one review of this so far, and it's not good.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle11520943/
Have a look at metacritic, some of the same reviewers have given the game 10 on all three version, nice of some people to buy the game three times and play it. lol

No i am glad i waited till it was out, its not another A:CM but from the reviews not worth full launch price, will pick it up when its on sale.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:47 AM   #332
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Red Boxed it and played splitscreen with a friend for a while. The controls are kind of janky at times, and the cover system could really do with being a lot smoother and a lot more intuitive. As pointed out a million times before, the graphics are nothing to write home about. It looks more like a 2006 title than a 2013 one. The gaming press is not likely to go easy on this title, especially now that they've been exposed to vastly superior character models, mo cap, environments, and lighting in game titles for the past several years. This game looks like a marketplace title.

Still, the game is functional, and serviceable in most respects. Especially when it comes to co-op. I haven't encountered anything game-breaking so far, aside from terrible partner AI. Thank god for the coop, which fixes that little problem. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of content in the game, what with the space jumps, the minigames, tricorder use, etc.

The story is just sort of... there, I guess. It's not particularly interesting, and the bad guys don't have a super interesting presence in the plot. The story gets you from A to B, which works well enough, I guess.

The voice acting is all in all pretty good. The use of the cast from the film really amps up the authenticity factor. Some are better, some are kind of eh. Giacchino's score is pretty darn good - it feels a lot like the ST09 score, which it obviously should, but has some unique elements of its own. I'm particularly liking a lot of the Frontier Starbase stuff and the Gorn action cues. The sound is overall probably the biggest strength of this game.

Overall, it's head and shoulders above most movie license games, but it's not quite the push into the AAA gaming space Paramount was aiming for. I still hope the game pushes a halfway decent number of copies to warrant an improved installation in the Trek gaming franchise. You know, something that can become legendary to both Trekkies and hardcore gamers, like Star Trek's answer to Butcher Bay or KOTOR. Brian Miller and his people walk the walk and talk the talk - I want to believe, but this is a pretty rough start.
Old April 25 2013, 12:45 PM   #333
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Giacchino's score is pretty darn good - it feels a lot like the ST09 score, which it obviously should, but has some unique elements of its own. I'm particularly liking a lot of the Frontier Starbase stuff and the Gorn action cues.
I agree. (That first cue introducing the Gorn fight was very... TOS-y.) I'm hoping they end up doing some sort of soundtrack release, even if it's download-only.

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Overall, it's head and shoulders above most movie license games, but it's not quite the push into the AAA gaming space Paramount was aiming for. I still hope the game pushes a halfway decent number of copies to warrant an improved installation in the Trek gaming franchise. You know, something that can become legendary to both Trekkies and hardcore gamers, like Star Trek's answer to Butcher Bay or KOTOR.
Was KOTOR really legendary to non-Star Wars fans, or are there just simply no such critters out in the real world?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:00 PM   #334
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Angry Joe review, its a fun review simply for the metacritic and steam forums stuff. lol
(Oh i might add it has very some bad language. so 18 plus only)

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:35 PM   #335
indianatrekker26
Captain

I decided to just return the game since it wouldn't run on my PS3. I then got it via steam, onto my laptop. Running great. Could anyone give me a quick control layout, if you have it for PS3? I have a PS3-styled controller and was hoping to set it to those specifications.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:52 PM   #336
bullethead
Fleet Captain

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
I decided to just return the game since it wouldn't run on my PS3. I then got it via steam, onto my laptop. Running great. Could anyone give me a quick control layout, if you have it for PS3? I have a PS3-styled controller and was hoping to set it to those specifications.
Do you have Pinnacle profiler? I've got a profile that needs a few tweaks because of my controller (that has chatpad plus mouse buttons), but you should be able to use it.
Old April 25 2013, 01:54 PM   #337
indianatrekker26
Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
Do you have Pinnacle profiler? I've got a profile that needs a few tweaks because of my controller (that has chatpad plus mouse buttons), but you should be able to use it.
nope, I have the logitec controller, that has same layout as the PS3 controller.
Old April 25 2013, 02:30 PM   #338
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Angry Joe review, its a fun review simply for the metacritic and steam forums stuff. lol
(Oh i might add it has very some bad language. so 18 plus only)
Not really a review, just him bitching for fifteen minutes about the co-op not working on the PC.
Old April 25 2013, 02:57 PM   #339
bullethead
Fleet Captain

nope, I have the logitec controller, that has same layout as the PS3 controller.
Well, I'd try to play the game first and see if the game detects it as an Xbox controller. In that case, you won't need something like Pinnacle; if not, Pinnacle might be the only way to get it to work in the game.
Old April 25 2013, 03:19 PM   #340
indianatrekker26
Captain

Well, I'd try to play the game first and see if the game detects it as an Xbox controller. In that case, you won't need something like Pinnacle; if not, Pinnacle might be the only way to get it to work in the game.
yup, tried it this morning, and the game detected my Logitech controller. Now i'm just trying to figure out how the buttons were set up for PS3.
Old April 25 2013, 06:20 PM   #341
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Hmmm, I can only find one review of this so far, and it's not good.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle11520943/
Have a look at metacritic, some of the same reviewers have given the game 10 on all three version, nice of some people to buy the game three times and play it. lol

No i am glad i waited till it was out, its not another A:CM but from the reviews not worth full launch price, will pick it up when its on sale.
Sounds about right, given the negativity I'll probably wait and pick this one up when it hits 20 bucks (which probably won't take long ... )
Old April 25 2013, 06:24 PM   #342
Kadratis
Fleet Captain

The game isn't even that much of a story; it feels much more like an episode. Still, I have to admit I'm not disappointed considering how low my expectations were. I like the fact they got the actors to reprise their roles (Pine, Quinto, Urban, Yelchin, Pegg, Cho, and Saldana) and an epic score from Michael Giacchino. Nonetheless, you can have these things but a game is still nothing without a good story.

I'm just glad I didn't have to spend $60 and find this out the hard way.
Kadratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:23 PM   #343
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I love it! The graphics are decent enough, the gameplay goes from challenging to maddening, the research points are hilarious, the environments (especially the inside of the Enterprise)are fantastic, and the voice-acting is spot on.

More importantly, it's just a fun game, combining action-adventure, shoot-em-up, and puzzles. I think it's a blast!
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:06 PM   #344
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Kruezerman wrote: View Post

More importantly, it's just a fun game, combining action-adventure, shoot-em-up, and puzzles. I think it's a blast!
Agreed. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it.
Old April 25 2013, 09:29 PM   #345
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post

Agreed. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of it.
Thank you, I think the reviewers have a bad copy or something. Because mine works beautifully. Then again I'm running a 360.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote