Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 22 2013, 11:21 PM   #16
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Re: Build Your Own Publishing Schedule- 2014 Edition

Greg, you just made my day.

I love that we've been having more TOS novels lately. For a good number of years, classic TOS novels were almost entirely missing. I was starving for them, and I'm really enjoying the current pattern: 6 months of TOS, then 6 months of the "modern continuity."

I don't know if TOS novels really sell better than the other series, but it wouldn't surprise me. For a lot of more casual fans, TOS is "Star Trek." The newer series have their fans (including me) but there's a lot of continuity to learn.

Beyond that, I'm hoping we get some good DS9 including the Ascendents story finally. DRGIII's recent TOS novel has gotten my hopes up.
Old April 22 2013, 11:23 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thanks, folks. I admit I love writing TOS books so I have a definite bias here.
Old April 22 2013, 11:29 PM   #18
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post
As much Voyager and DS9 as possible, more from Christopher on Enterprise (I'm fairly sure, anyway...), the start of a totally brand new series that's completely incredible, and a year off of TOS completely.
About the latter, I may be disappointing you there . . .
And I wish you all the career success and writing joy that the current line can provide you

I won't be reading them, but congrats on your recent sales. Must be fun
Old April 22 2013, 11:52 PM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
As much Voyager and DS9 as possible, more from Christopher on Enterprise (I'm fairly sure, anyway...), the start of a totally brand new series that's completely incredible, and a year off of TOS completely.
About the latter, I may be disappointing you there . . .
And I wish you all the career success and writing joy that the current line can provide you

I won't be reading them, but congrats on your recent sales. Must be fun
Thanks! It's nice to see last year's work finally showing up in print this Spring!
Old April 23 2013, 01:15 AM   #20
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Perhaps to make everyone happy (I am personally good seeing at least a couple of TOS books a year), Pocket could increase the number of books it publishes a year. I realize two books a month is probably too much, but having two a month in June, July, Aug, and Dec might work. I, like many others, read more in the summer and the extra one in December (before Xmas - and ya ya, I know not everyone celebrates but the fact of the matter is they do make great gifts) might be a good marketing idea.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:40 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

As my schedule shows, I would love to see them go back to trades and regular e-books. It's a great way to get throw in some extra stories here and there throughout the year.
Old April 23 2013, 01:56 AM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Can we just have the four Abramsverse novels and some 24th century books set during the various TV runs? Please?
Old April 23 2013, 03:31 AM   #23
cdgodin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

FEB: TOS novel by Greg Cox
MAR: Rise of the Federation Book 2 by Chris Bennett
APR: New TOS-era series, #1 by David Mack
MAY: TOS novel by Dayton Ward
JUN: New TOS-era series, #2 by David Mack
JUL: VOY Relaunch #5 by Kirsten Beyer
AUG: New TOS-era series, #3 by David Mack
SEP: Aventine book by Dayton Ward
OCT: Post-Fall DS9 by Una McCormack
NOV: DS9: The Ascendants, Book #1 by DRGIII
DEC: DS9: The Ascendants, Book #2 by DRGIII
JAN: Post-Fall TNG by James Swallow
cdgodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:55 AM   #24
Relayer1
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Can we just have the four Abramsverse novels and some 24th century books set during the various TV runs? Please?
I think we MAY get the JJverse novels at some point. I don't think there is much interest in novels set during the TV shows - there have been too many and 'everything back in the box at the end' is pretty uninteresting. Occasionally they work well, Hollow Men for instance, but that is very much a filling in the gaps exercise, not a stand alone story.

Last edited by Relayer1; April 25 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:04 AM   #25
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Don't hold your breath. It's either a legal issue (Pocket perhaps don't have and for some reason won't aquire the rights to publish original fiction based on the new films) or some personal beef where one party is refusing to deal with the other. Either way, if we were getting those books it would have happened by now.
Old April 25 2013, 11:09 AM   #26
Relayer1
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Don't hold your breath. It's either a legal issue (Pocket perhaps don't have and for some reason won't aquire the rights to publish original fiction based on the new films) or some personal beef where one party is refusing to deal with the other. Either way, if we were getting those books it would have happened by now.
I think it might be after the new or maybe even the third film. They might need some amendments, or even be redone as TOS novels if suitable...
Old April 25 2013, 12:20 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
...and 'everything back in the box at the end' is pretty uninteresting.
Yet the Star Trek: The Original Series books sell the best.
Old April 25 2013, 02:56 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I think it might be after the new or maybe even the third film. They might need some amendments, or even be redone as TOS novels if suitable...
Mine, at least, and probably Greg's (since it was about Spock Prime), would have to be profoundly rewritten to work as TOS. I approached it with the specific goal of telling a story that could only work in the Abramsverse, with that version of the characters and history and building on the events of the film -- otherwise what would be the point? I didn't want it to be just a TOS story with a few details changed; that would've been cheating. Maybe I could cannibalize ideas and characters from it, but it would have to be a significantly different story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ Do you know if the comics or game have invalidated anything anyone wrote in the four books?
Old April 25 2013, 08:25 PM   #30
F. King Daniel
Admiral

^Heh, I was gonna start a thread once the movie's premiered to ask if it had contradicted those novels much in terms of story or characterization. Just out of curiousity.