Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 25 2013, 03:54 PM   #196
Warped9
Admiral

Re: How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

^^ I read that article quite some time ago. Excellent piece.
Old April 25 2013, 04:12 PM   #197
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I've mentioned it before, but I would have been fine with a simple cleaning of the film and reissue in HD. Still, I do like what we have, and I think it will make the series accessible to people who would have otherwise passed it over. Bring them in with the pretty shinies; get them to stay with the terrific stories.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:21 PM   #198
lurok
Commodore

The only TOS-R episode I have is Enterprise Incident (which is one of my faves) simply because it visually makes more sense . I can live with the 60s fx for the other ones. But maybe I'm missing something.
Old April 25 2013, 04:32 PM   #199
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

lurok wrote: View Post
The only TOS-R episode I have is Enterprise Incident (which is one of my faves) simply because it visually makes more sense . I can live with the 60s fx for the other ones. But maybe I'm missing something.
Well, it's more to do with the technical aspects of things. The special effects were very low resolution compared to the film stock, so when they cleaned and prepped the series for HD, the special effects had to be reshot. In the process, CBS Digital decided to update them for a more modern audience.
Old April 25 2013, 05:23 PM   #200
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I think TOS-R was just fine as it is. Now what they really need to do is a TAS-R. Full CGI. Get rid of the crappy 70's animation and go all-out.
Old April 25 2013, 07:37 PM   #201
Garrovick
Commander

There were a lot of things I really liked about TOS-R. There were also a few things I didn't really like about TOS-R. I've got my copies of the remastered episodes to watch when I want to, and I also have my DVD box sets of the originals to watch when I want to. It's all good. Overall, I'm glad the remastering was done - the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Old April 26 2013, 12:35 AM   #202
Masao
Fleet Captain

I still have a pile of 2-episode videocassettes, as well as the regular flavor DVDs (and remastered season 2, for a completely selfish reason). So, both versions are out there for true fans (such as anyone that would post about Trek on a message board).

However, for the casual fan, who may be unable to get past the relatively primitive 1960s special effects, the remastered versions takes away an obstacle to their enjoying TOS for the stories, characters, and ideas. They might become ONE OF US. That's good, right?

Last edited by Masao; April 26 2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: stupid auto-correct!
Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:08 AM   #203
J. Allen
Best Pony™

I still have some of my CBS clamshell Star Trek VHS tapes. They're old and worn, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.
Old April 26 2013, 06:13 AM   #204
Mr_Homn
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I've mentioned it before, but I would have been fine with a simple cleaning of the film and reissue in HD.
but you CAN watch it that way on the blu rays. if you turn off the remastered effects on the blu ray you get to watch the original in hd quality. most of the time that's the only way i watch it. that would have been enough to sell me on it alone. but theres nothing wrong with having options.
Old April 26 2013, 12:36 PM   #205
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I think TOS-R was just fine as it is. Now what they really need to do is a TAS-R. Full CGI. Get rid of the crappy 70's animation and go all-out.
Same here. And, I think that the studio behind ReBoot should do the honors.

But what I'd really like to see is a new animated series, with the same type of realistic (non-Pixar) CGI animation as TAS, as I've said before. Either than, or let's make a new traditional pen and ink cel animated show instead (this Japanese studio's recent adaptation of an American superhero's adventures shows a great direction to go in on that.)

I still have some of my CBS clamshell Star Trek VHS tapes. They're old and worn, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.
What will you do when those don't function anymore?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:33 PM   #206
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
I imagine he'll be able to access the original versions on either DVD or Blu-ray. Or buy the series on Ebay or Amazon in either Betamax, VHS or Laserdisc.
Old April 26 2013, 05:48 PM   #207
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
but you CAN watch it that way on the blu rays. if you turn off the remastered effects on the blu ray you get to watch the original in hd quality. most of the time that's the only way i watch it. that would have been enough to sell me on it alone. but theres nothing wrong with having options.
Oh, certainly. I'm just glad to have several options. I rather like the work done on the TOS-R episodes.

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Well, I watch the TOS-R episodes on Netflix, but I can always purchase the DVDs or Blu-Rays of the episodes.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I imagine he'll be able to access the original versions on either DVD or Blu-ray. Or buy the series on Ebay or Amazon in either Betamax, VHS or Laserdisc.
Yep!
Old May 1 2013, 01:32 AM   #208
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Garrovick wrote: View Post
There were a lot of things I really liked about TOS-R. There were also a few things I didn't really like about TOS-R. I've got my copies of the remastered episodes to watch when I want to, and I also have my DVD box sets of the originals to watch when I want to. It's all good. Overall, I'm glad the remastering was done - the positives far outweigh the negatives.
I agree. I have both the 2004 original DVD's releases, and the 2008 remastered DVD's, and so, depending on what I'm in the mood for, I can see whichever version I want.

That said, there are actually, there were a few things I wish they'd changed that they didn't. Take "The Ultimate Computer", for example. I was disapointed that they didn't change at least one of Bob Wesley's fleet ships into a different starship class. Seeing a TOS-style Reliant, or Orberth, or something might have been interesting.

And, it's not like this is a George Lucas/Star Wars situation, where each change automatically super-ceds it's immediate predecessor, to become the "official version", and everything that came before is ignored.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 12:29 AM   #209
MrArcas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think they hit the balance between "adding new" and being faithful to the original videos. It certainly was a tricky tightrope to walk. Perhaps they erred a bit too much on the side of caution, but I'm still OK with the results. It scratched my itch
MrArcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 04:23 PM   #210
Forbin
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
  1. Finally, the big fault of the remastered effects is that they frequently demonstrate that the new effects team didn't understand basic cinematography. Example: the battle sequence in Elaan of Troyius is a complete mess in terms of basic (and I mean Film Composition 101) directional continuity.
This is my biggest complaint too. Another example is the orbital shot of Apollo's hand holding the ship. Crappy composition - your eye doesn't know where to look to get the point of the shot.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote