Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2013, 06:45 PM   #376
GMDreia
Commander

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

It's kind of funny that for all the secrecy, so many people here and on Trekmovie.com practically pieced together the plot from the trailers. Then there's the fact that apparently the villain's identity leaked out really early, and Cumberbatch's casting is the only thing that kept it from being suspected in any way - it leant his real identity some plausible deniability.

My disappointment in the spoilers isn't in the plot... it's in the total lack of surprise. For all of Abrams' intent on surprising us, I feel like I already saw the movie several months ago. I was hoping that the spoilers would indicate that all of the pieced together evidence was wrong, but it isn't. Abrams actually laid everything right out on the table early on.

I'm still going to see it though, probably several times in the theaters, and in all likelihood, I'm going to love it. I think I already do - because it's a pretty novel approach and I love seeing a different approach. IMO, this *is* how the same character would be written in this time and it fits Greg Cox's "Bond villain" approach to the character. The nature of warfare has changed.

Why did he specifically have to be Khan, though? Would the film have really been missing anything if he wasn't?

How do you all feel about the different personality and characterization portrayed by Cumberbatch, vs Montalban? That he seems like a different person?

It doesn't matter in the end, to me, I'm probably going to see the film five plus times in the theaters while it's out.
Old April 25 2013, 06:50 PM   #377
indranee
Vice Admiral

section9 wrote: View Post
Here's the thing: Abrams and his gang of writers made this movie for the mass audience, not for us. In doing so, they decided to retell the Khan story.

Every fanboi I've seen is upset. Abrams & Co. don't give a shit that you're upset. They wanted to use Khan and they cast Cumby because he guarantees good gate.

So cut the crap. This is about money and Paramount making a return on their investment in Bad Robot. Enough of the Sheeple will see this film and it will work for them for Paramount to greenlight a third film with Cumby back as the Khanster.
You know? I have to agree. And it's made even more brutally opportunistic by the fact that they didn't kill Cumberbatch's Khan. Wonder what K&O are planning for the next one.

Listen, I want to see this movie badly. And I'm sure I'll enjoy it. More than that, I want my dad (who's all of 86 and a Trek fan for a long time and with whom I have the deepest Trekkie connection in my life) to enjoy it like he enjoyed ST09. If that happens, I'm okay.

But for the next movie, I want K&O ko-d. I want other writers.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:55 PM   #378
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post

But yes, it is about execution. Nemesis was an example of execution done poorly.
Nemesis was more than simple poor execution - it was bad everything. Poor writing, bad plot - which was filled with holes - and even medicore acting from everyone including IMO Stewart which is unusual for him.

It is the only Trek film I've ever sat through in the theatre where I was hoping it would end soon.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:00 PM   #379
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
What I am really looking forward to is...
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:05 PM   #380
GMDreia
Commander

Is anyone else feeling this is more an homage to Greg Cox's Khan than the TOS/WOK Khan?

How do you feel about this guy having such a different personality and characterization from the other guy?
Old April 25 2013, 07:12 PM   #381
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

i wonder if they don't kill off John Harrison / Khan in this one, if he'll take a backseat in the third movie like Jonathan Crane / The Scarecrow did in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:15 PM   #382
section9
Commander

Franklin wrote: View Post
Well, if the "Magic Blood" plot device rumor is true, then I have some cause to be a bit set aside, but other than that, I'm going. That sounds like something Damon Lindelof would do.
Meh. No different than Spock being reborn on the Genesis planet; or an entire Genesis device creating life out of nothing; or the spores in "This Side of Paradise" providing perfect health; or Nomad bringing Scotty back to life; or the Ba'ku's planet's ability to stop aging.

And of course, there's the amazing red matter.

Genetically enhanced blood having restorative properties is actually a little bit more believable and truer to real science fiction than the stuff mentioned above. Also, and I'll put this part in spoilers just in case,

Edited to add:

Great point about the foreshadowing. You're quite right that JJ set up Khan's Miracle Blood as being able to work wonders at the beginning of the film.

I'm sort of spooked by what happened in Phantom Menace, when mitochondria came out of nowhere.
Old April 25 2013, 07:16 PM   #383
GMDreia
Commander

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
i wonder if they don't kill off John Harrison / Khan in this one, if he'll take a backseat in the third movie like Jonathan Crane / The Scarecrow did in The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
Eh, I kinda like that they aren't killing him, if that's true. The villain usually dies and I like this being left open. It just leads to all kinds of possibilities that aren't the usual cliches.
Old April 25 2013, 07:18 PM   #384
section9
Commander

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
Are you kidding. Cumberbatch puts asses in seats.

STXIII will be the Apocalypse Now ripoff, where Kirk has to go after Khan and his renegade band of augment guerillas. JJ will turn Khan into an anti-hero. Watch and see if I'm not right.
Old April 25 2013, 07:22 PM   #385
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

i hope your right Section 9.
Old April 25 2013, 07:24 PM   #386
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Khan as an heroic figure in his own right has a lot of appeal. It somewhat restores him to his "Space Seed" persona.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:37 PM   #387
GMDreia
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Khan as an heroic figure in his own right has a lot of appeal. It somewhat restores him to his "Space Seed" persona.
Agreed
Old April 25 2013, 07:38 PM   #388
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

STXIII will be the Apocalypse Now ripoff, where Kirk has to go after Khan and his renegade band of augment guerillas. JJ will turn Khan into an anti-hero. Watch and see if I'm not right.
First we get Star Wars from him.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:47 PM   #389
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

First we get Star Wars from him.
for a moment i kinda forgot about that. i've been so focused on the trailers and promotional material for into darkness. like i said to somebody on another forum. this movie to me is like the dark knight of movies for me. i have looked forward to this one since i saw the reboot back in 2009. can't wait to see it with my dad. both this and star wars.
Old April 25 2013, 07:47 PM   #390
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Star Wars? They still make that shit?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote