Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 25 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo
It begins: 19 Classic DVDs going out-of-print in R1.

Per Steve Manfred's website, BBC Worldwide has decided that 19 current DVDs will not be reprinted when stocks are exhausted:

First Doctor
The Rescue/The Romans
The Web Planet
The Time Meddler
The Gunfighters

Second Doctor
The Invasion
The War Games

Third Doctor
Terror of the Autons
The Time Monster
Planet of the Spiders

Fifth Doctor
Black Orchid
Time-Flight
The Awakening
Frontios
Planet of Fire

Sixth Doctor
The Mark of the Rani
The Two Doctors*

Seventh Doctor
Battlefield
Ghost Light
The Curse of Fenric

*Apparently The Two Doctors is a special case; BBCWA confirmed that it will reprint this eventually, but only once a new version is issued which excludes the material with Jimmy Saville. (Steve didn't post this on the website; only over on Gallifrey Base.) The Two Doctors is also the only one of these which appears to have been deleted in the UK as well.

The Two Doctors and Battlefield are already gone, it seems; they're going for crazy prices on Amazon and WhoNA has no more in stock. (Though I managed to find Battlefield for MSRP at a local Barnes & Noble last night. ) But as one of those who is just now starting to collect the DVDs, this doesn't look good for the future of the range over here.

Some of the deletions make sense, especially if season sets are coming soon: Seasons 2, 21, and 26 are all heavily hit. But others make no sense - Terror of the Autons and Planet of the Spiders are both very recent releases. I suppose discontinuing the DVDs in R1 was inevitable, but here's hoping it's not a very fast process.
Old April 25 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

Re: It begins: 19 Classic DVDs going out-of-print in R1.

I don't understand. Why are they letting them go out of print?
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Turbo
Vice Admiral

They've been letting titles go out of print as special editions are announced, but this is a much bigger deletion. Presumably, the sales just aren't worth it for them to keep going. The only DVD that they confirmed a reason for was The Two Doctors.
Old April 25 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

My hope, and I suspect it's unlikely to happen, is that once the individual feature-laden releases are finished BBC Worldwide will issue budget-priced complete season box sets.

The reason I think it's unlikely? It makes too much sense.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Pingfah
Admiral

There's really no need to revise history because of fucking Jimmy Savile.
Old April 25 2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
My hope, and I suspect it's unlikely to happen, is that once the individual feature-laden releases are finished BBC Worldwide will issue budget-priced complete season box sets.

The reason I think it's unlikely? It makes too much sense.
I'm hoping that too, and I've got a couple friends who are big DW fans who also enjoy the classic series, but don't want to start collecting until season sets are out. In the meantime, I'm definitely trying to complete the seasons in which I already own stories right now.
Pingfah wrote: View Post
There's really no need to revise history because of fucking Jimmy Savile.
This seems to be the prevailing opinion on GB as well, but I could not disagree with it more. Omitting a segment of his show from a DVD is hardly revising history.
Old April 25 2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Pingfah
Admiral

Oh, he's not IN the show? I thought they were editing him out of the actual show. I thought I didn't remember Savile appearing in Doctor Who, but then I haven't seen all of the old ones by any means.

Carry on then.
Old April 25 2013, 04:05 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Oh, he's not IN the show? I thought they were editing him out of the actual show. I thought I didn't remember Savile appearing in Doctor Who, but then I haven't seen all of the old ones by any means.

Carry on then.
While the Two Doctors was airing, there was a specially filmed skit in "Jim'll Fix It" ... A young boy named Gareth Jenkins was a huge fan of DW. His Nan made him a Sixth Doctor costume. Gareth wrote a letter to Jim asking to meet Colin Baker and go inside the Tardis.

They wrote a short skit where that happens ... Two Sontarans are trapped inside the Tardis. The Doctor uses a transporter (seriously) to beam up help from Earth. Who appears but Tegan* (which immediately makes this an awesome skit). Then a second person beams up - a "mini clone" named Gareth. The two adults bicker, Gareth presses a button and saves the day, then Jim enters the set and breaks down the fourth wall.

Gareth gets a "full functioning BBC Mezon gun" (not sure on the spelling), a medal of some sort, and we cut to commercial.

It's about six minutes long in total, and the skit is called "A Fix With Sontarans." It is probably up on youtube if you search for it.

* They wanted Peri, but Nicola Bryant was not available for filming, so the script was re-written for Tegan.
Old April 25 2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

The bickering is awesome, really well written skit, the comedy is a lot of fun, plus this version already has Savile's end bit edited out.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Thanks for posting the list. It prompted me to order a couple that I've been meaning to! Wanted to get them before the supply is gone!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
The bickering is awesome, really well written skit, the comedy is a lot of fun, plus this version already has Savile's end bit edited out.
Well, that's just insane. The story makes no sense with the Savile appearance removed.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:00 PM   #12
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Thanks for posting the list. It prompted me to order a couple that I've been meaning to! Wanted to get them before the supply is gone!
I have everything that's been released before 2011. Economy sucked, prices rose, and I haven't bought as many since then. I have some, but am missing 14 of the released stories - most of them Third Doctor stories, which are absurdly over-priced.

Fortunately, I had everything on the list except Terror of the Autons, which I was just able to find for $13 including shipping.

Curiously not on the list is The Beginning box set, which has also gone out of print. Perhaps they will be re-releasing it in November?
Old April 25 2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'm sure they will all be available again in some form. But, it's possible they'll only be in season sets, or something like that. I didn't want to risk having to buy a bunch just get a couple!

I too picked up Terror of the Autons, along with Planet of the Spiders.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Turbo
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
I have everything that's been released before 2011. Economy sucked, prices rose, and I haven't bought as many since then. I have some, but am missing 14 of the released stories - most of them Third Doctor stories, which are absurdly over-priced.
Annoyingly, a number of the titles on this list are from 2011.

Curiously not on the list is The Beginning box set, which has also gone out of print. Perhaps they will be re-releasing it in November?
It has been re-released in smaller packaging; the box is clear instead of black.

I've picked up Terror of the Autons, Planet of the Spiders, Black Orchid, and Battlefield. I think I'm gonna chance it and hold on most of the others, to see if we get season sets next year. Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric are also probably candidates for SE rereleases, considering how much picture quality has improved over the last several years.
Old April 25 2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn, this really sucks. I haven't been purchasing many DVDs for the last few years with the exception of serials I've been waiting for a long time like The War Games, The Face of Evil, The Sun Makers, and The Reign of Terror. I've been far too focused on Big Finish audios which are quite pricy. I guess I'll have to make an inventory of which serials I have when I visit stateside (where my collection is located) before I move to Belgium.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote