Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old April 25 2013, 05:30 AM   #16
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Starship Bridge's

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Here I thought this was going to be a thread about why the most important part of the ship is exposed like a hood ornament.
How often has a bridge actually taken direct damage (not exploding consoles - something that breached the hull)?

"Year of Hell" and the Abrams movie are the only examples that I can think of off the top of my head. 99% of the time, the shields and hull (and plot armor) do a good enough job of protecting the bridge from damage. Burying it deeper in the hull would be pointless from a design perspective, and detrimental from a dramatic one.

(And if you're a believer in replaceable bridge modules, burying it would complicate or prevent those.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Enterprise's mirror universe episode also had a bridge blowout. Generations would have but the plot got in the way.
Old April 25 2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

In fact, in one Enterprise episode that had an alternate future thing going on - "Twilight" - the whole top of the bridge got ripped off and that was all she wrote.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:24 PM   #19
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Wasn't there also a bridge blowout in Nemesis?
Old April 25 2013, 04:19 PM   #20
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

B.J. wrote: View Post
Yes. The helmsman got blown out, Troi took the wheel, got a text message and crashed the ship...again.
Old April 25 2013, 05:01 PM   #21
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Man that outer hull around the bridge looks paper thin. You'd think there would be some extra armor plating or at least a double hull for some protection on such a critical part of the ship.
Old April 25 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
ATimson
Rear Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
I thought the bridge was fine; it was the forwardmost sections of the saucer that were breached.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:53 PM   #23
Timo
Admiral

The bridge did lose a crucial part of its outer wall:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...esishd2082.jpg

I can't really see how a few (dozen) meters of mere physical matter would make a difference when a hostile starship's disruptors get a good shot. Phasers drill through kilometers of solid rock in a matter of seconds in several TNG episodes...

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited by Timo; April 25 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:52 AM   #24
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Here I thought this was going to be a thread about why the most important part of the ship is exposed like a hood ornament.
How often has a bridge actually taken direct damage (not exploding consoles - something that breached the hull)?

"Year of Hell" and the Abrams movie are the only examples that I can think of off the top of my head. 99% of the time, the shields and hull (and plot armor) do a good enough job of protecting the bridge from damage. Burying it deeper in the hull would be pointless from a design perspective, and detrimental from a dramatic one.

(And if you're a believer in replaceable bridge modules, burying it would complicate or prevent those.)

The bridge of the USS Constellation was damaged and unihabitable in TOS episode "The Doomsday Machine".

Excerpt of "The Doomsday Machine" below
Link --> http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/35.htm
[Bridge]

KIRK: Lieutenant Palmer.
PALMER: I can't raise the Constellation, sir. I'm still getting the distress beacon, but there's heavy subspace interference. It's almost blocking the signal.
KIRK: Keep trying. Mister Spock, full evaluation of the damage to the Constellation.
SPOCK: All power plants dead, reserve energy banks operative at a very low power level.
KIRK: Life support systems?
SPOCK: Also operative at a low power level. The entire Bridge is damaged and uninhabitable. The rest of the ship seems able to sustain life.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 02:31 AM   #25
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The Battle Bridge solves the problem...unless you separate the ship (I *think* the battle bridge is on top of the secondary hull)
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 02:18 PM   #26
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Yep, it's on the top and center of the cobra head. At least on the Galaxy, anyway. Can't remember where it was on the Sovereign.
Old April 26 2013, 03:47 PM   #27
Timo
Admiral

Or whether the Sovereign was ever intended to fight in separated mode. After all, while a separation line of sorts was designed in, there apparently was no thought given to providing the "Battle Section" with things like impulse drive... Just as with Kirk's old ship which supposedly was incapable of doing anything much once separated.

Kirk's ship had a "Battle Bridge" or three despite not having any operational separation ability. We never quite learned where these were located, though, and we got no real reason to think they would be better protected than the Main Bridge.

Not until a bit of thought was put to the layout of the refitted ship in ST:TMP, that is; both Andy Probert and Shane Johnson tried to put Auxiliary Control in the very middle of the saucer, even though the sets didn't exactly make that easy. We never saw such a facility in the actual movies, so we didn't get any wiser in the canon sense...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 08:33 PM   #28
James Wright
Commodore

I was thinking about the diagram of the K't'inga bridge Timo posted, are the red windows about the same size as the forward window of the Enterprise?
Something is outta wack somewhere, Ijust don't know where.

James