Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 21 2013, 09:08 AM   #76
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

Kelso wrote: View Post
Or maybe there is a mystery surrounding his back-story that he hasn't even solved yet. They did make a point of showing us that the Doctor has been carrying around his own baby crib/cot for 1,000 years and then pointed out to the audience that it has Gallifreyan writing on it. Perhaps baby Doctor was found in a cot with the words "Run you clever boy and remember" written on it so they called him Rycbar and he stole a Tardis and ran... but he still doesn't know what he was supposed to run from or remember. But Clara is the key!
Dear lord, I hope that's not what Moffat does. That would be worse than The Master suffering from The Sound of Drums all his lives.

I'm sure it'll be something along the lines The Doctor telling someone without the audience being informed (either a whisper or obscured writing0.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 03:59 AM   #77
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Oh, I was just throwing out tongue-in-cheek ideas.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 05:35 AM   #78
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

As tongue-in-cheek as it is I actually kind of like it. Reminds me a bit of Red Dwarf's "Ouroboros," though.
Old April 22 2013, 07:45 AM   #79
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

How awesome would it be if his name was Bob?

DOCTOR:
What's your name?

BOB:
Bob, sir.

DOCTOR:
Ah, that's a great name. I love Bob.

OCTAVIAN:
It's a Sacred Name. We all have Sacred Names, they're given to us in the service of the Church.

DOCTOR:
(joins BOB and OCTAVIAN) Sacred Bob. More like Scared Bob now, eh?

BOB:
Yes, sir.

DOCTOR:
Ah, good. Scared keeps you fast. Anyone in this room who isn't scared is a moron. Carry on.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 05:12 PM   #80
RoJoHen
Awesome

Emh wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post
Or maybe there is a mystery surrounding his back-story that he hasn't even solved yet. They did make a point of showing us that the Doctor has been carrying around his own baby crib/cot for 1,000 years and then pointed out to the audience that it has Gallifreyan writing on it. Perhaps baby Doctor was found in a cot with the words "Run you clever boy and remember" written on it so they called him Rycbar and he stole a Tardis and ran... but he still doesn't know what he was supposed to run from or remember. But Clara is the key!
Dear lord, I hope that's not what Moffat does.
That actually sounds exactly like what Moffat would do.
Old April 22 2013, 07:10 PM   #81
RevdKathy
BobTheSkutter's wife

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

What's in a name? A timelord by any other name would be as timeywimey...

Where's the rose in "The name of the rose"? How much connection to actual content have the titles had this series? For that matter, is that title the ultimate 'Rose' reference? Do I know what I'm typing about? (clue: no)

RevdKathy
RevdKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:26 AM   #82
I am not Spock
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Phily B wrote: View Post
i wish moffat would hurry up and leave the show, ugh.
I sincerely hope not. It's a damned site better than it was under RTD...
Moffat is massively better than RTD ever was. RTD's episodes were often incredibly stupid. For every Turn Left, or Midnight, you have a silly, frivolous, soapy, stupid Rose and her family episode.

I was never a great fan of Rose. I think the chemistry between Matt and Karen, or Matt and Jenna, is miles better.
Old April 25 2013, 02:14 PM   #83
The Wormhole
Admiral

Two sides of the same coin. RTD came up with better stories, but Moffat writes better characters.
Old April 25 2013, 02:56 PM   #84
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Two sides of the same coin. RTD came up with better stories, but Moffat writes better characters.
I have the completely opposite opinion.
Old April 25 2013, 03:19 PM   #85
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

RTD's goofy stories and magical endings got old. I don't think he had the better stories. I like both RTD and Moffat actually, just for different reasons.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:46 PM   #86
Iamnotspock
Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I have the completely opposite opinion.
I agree with you, Mirrorball.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:55 PM   #87
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

That being said, I'm very happy with Moffat as the showrunner but the thing I miss about RTD was his unfettered, almost palpable enthusiasm for everything connected to the show. I thought his childlike joy was contagious, and I was always looking forward to his interviews and commentaries.
Old April 25 2013, 05:59 PM   #88
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think when it comes to storytelling, RTD is actually one of the weakest New Who writers. With the notable exception of Smith & Jones, all his stories end with a deus ex machina. It gets really old on a marathon.

Everybody (Rightfully!) bitches about his finales but The Christmas Invasion has one of his most baffling deus ex machinas. The Doctor pushes a button which just... makes a random bit of platform disappear, killing the Sycorax leader. No attempt is made to explain this at all.

RTD had some good ideas but his obsession with fame, modern day London and the media means his work has dated very badly, with the exception of Smith and Jones, Gridlock, Midnight, Turn Left and Waters of Mars.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:11 PM   #89
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Sorry to nitpick but...

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Doctor pushes a button which just... makes a random bit of platform disappear, killing the Sycorax leader. No attempt is made to explain this at all.
What was there to explain exactly? It happened in front of our very eyes. The Doctor just found the right button and he killed the Sycorax leader. Why should it be more complicated than that? Do you really think that the scene would have been better with a little dose of technobabble?

RTD had some good ideas but his obsession with fame, modern day London and the media means his work has dated very badly
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Fame, modern day London and the media all sound like contemporary themes to me, i.e. not dated at all. Or is Black Mirror, which deals with those same themes, dated too?
Old April 25 2013, 06:17 PM   #90
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
What was there to explain exactly? It happened in front of our very eyes. The Doctor just found the right button and he killed the Sycorax leader.
It makes no sense for there to be a random button that makes a random bit of ledge disappear. It's a deus ex machina that has no logical place in the story. It is the sign of a writer feeling they've written enough pages so they just throw in a left-field plot device to finish things up. This happens a lot in Davies scripts. Notably Boomtown and Last of the Time Lords.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Fame, modern day London and the media all sound like contemporary themes to me, i.e. not dated at all. Or is Black Mirror, which deals with those same themes, dated too?
Well, Black Mirror is a show that deconstructs and satirises the media whereas RTD just filled the show with as much celebrity culture as is possible in order to grab ratings. This had the effect of making it date very fast. What was "cool" in 2006, now looks incredibly lame, dated and confused. Your mileage may vary.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote