To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 25 2013, 01:02 AM   #271
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Unicron wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who's reminded constantly of Data by Datak? His actor bears an impressive resemblance to Brent Spiner.
You are not alone. I find it funny that his name his is Datak.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:17 AM   #272
The Wormhole
Admiral

Unicron wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who's reminded constantly of Data by Datak? His actor bears an impressive resemblance to Brent Spiner.
Not so much Data, but definitely Dr. Soong. It's everything, the hair, the long nose, the attitude, there's even similar inflections.
Old April 25 2013, 01:45 AM   #273
sojourner
Vice Admiral

They should have Spiner guest star as Datak's brother at some point.
Old April 25 2013, 05:13 AM   #274
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Also that the previous lawman was Hawk from Captain Power!

Mark
I KNEW that guy looked familiar!
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:54 AM   #275
stj
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
This show would be much better with far less humans. Or just get rid of all of them.

Just gagging over the humans imposing their morality on the Castithans and it being yet another great Star Trek moment.

I'm holding out for it to get trashy.

But.. it's not going to get trashy is it?
When the heroic hero used pain from the wound to interrogate a suspect, it was of course immediately successful. That combination of mean and stupid is one kind of trash.

And Jaime Murray's chain negligee is another kind of trashy too.

But this last episode wasn't a Star Trek moment. Star Trek manifestly was about us being better too, as well as others living up to higher ideals. In later Trek, one interpretation of the Prime Directive is to leave those aliens alone because there are no objective morals with which to judge their cultures, which is the status quo the new heroic hero, followed by daughter and mayor, is challenging.

This last episode was a moment where "we," as we are right now, unimproved by progress (in fact, regressed to the Wild West!) must meet our obligations to judge other cultures. It's only the second episode of course. There may be multiple episodes later where the other cultures are portrayed as having something to offer "us."
Old April 25 2013, 12:21 PM   #276
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Why do we have obligations to judge other cultures?

Seemed like a bad idea all round, for the differing species to get along with each other.

As to trashy, yes we might get more chain negligee trash and that would make me happy. Also hoping it will trueblood itself up a bit into a soap opera alien sex romp with scandalous moments.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:39 PM   #277
EmoBorg
Captain

Datak Tarr does remind me of Dr Arik Soong. The Castithans look like a bunch of non threathening Wraiths from Stargate Atlantis with their pale skins and long white hair. But the Wraith had a better sense of style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fy4cqWMhyI
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:05 PM   #278
The Wormhole
Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Datak Tarr does remind me of Dr Arik Soong. The Castithans look like a bunch of non threathening Wraiths from Stargate Atlantis with their pale skins and long white hair. But the Wraith had a better sense of style.
Heh, "Incomplete Wraith" did pop in my head when I first saw pictures of them. Though, I remember thinking something similar about the Prince in Hellboy 2.
Old April 25 2013, 02:16 PM   #279
jayceee
Commander

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Also that the previous lawman was Hawk from Captain Power!
IIRC, he was also on PSI Factor.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:28 PM   #280
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

But you can bet there will be a baseball episode soon.
Golf is a sport (activity?) most people don't start playing until they are adults. That in itself can limit the number of people with knowledge of the rules.

Baseball is a sport children in the U.S. begin playing in their childhood, probably around 8 or 9 years of age. And while those kids may not know the minutea of the rules, they understand enough of the basic rules to play.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:22 PM   #281
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
In defense of the Castithans, they only had a post-apocalyptic wardrobe to work with.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:36 PM   #282
degra
Fleet Captain

watched the second episode what a waste of money. Everything about this show is bland. Done with this
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:54 PM   #283
stj
Rear Admiral

Why do we have obligations to judge other cultures?

Seemed like a bad idea all round, for the differing species to get along with each other.
The US government is dedicated to attacking the peoples and governments of many, many nations across the world, mostly Muslim or African. Liberals like to call it humanitarian intervention, R2P, responsibility to protect. Very little from daily life shows up on television, especially not so-called serious drama. But as commonly happens, the scifi trappings allow a little of it to creep in. The show thus far is straightforwardly presuming the more or less official view, which is conventionally deemed wisdom, because.

As to seeming a bad idea, well, many agree, but US democracy has nothing to do with the opinions of citizens being consulted. Indeed they are often the targets of economic policies.
Old April 26 2013, 01:39 PM   #284
Kegg
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
This last episode was a moment where "we," as we are right now, unimproved by progress (in fact, regressed to the Wild West!) must meet our obligations to judge other cultures. It's only the second episode of course. There may be multiple episodes later where the other cultures are portrayed as having something to offer "us."
Well Defiance is clearly a kind of immigrant story that's about humans and aliens coming together as a society in this town. The kind of cultural hybridity and fusion is I think the point; we're clearly not really meant to buy into say Rafe's general resentment towards Votans for creating the circumstances that lead to Earth's accidental terraforming.
Old April 26 2013, 02:03 PM   #285
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That fuck is crucified and no one else runs from battle and everyone is saved form the next big bad.

It's sensible.

What does the US do to deserters these days?

We all know what Malcom Reynold would have done.

He would have shot the guy being tortured.

Saving the victim shouldn't have been the issue, and only an idiot wouldn't have expected consequences down the line for crossing a mob.

The bitch of the situation was all the civilians getting off on this guys pain.

Fuck them.

Although would Nolan have saved Jesus form his own crucifixion against his protestation?

"No, stop it I don't want to be saved, I'm supposed to die for every one sins, don't untie me, put that knife away, let me die up here it's part of the plan I need to die on this cross or you'll ruin everything if you get in the way of my timely death."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote