RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 515
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 25 2013, 04:29 AM   #31
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I'm not skipping any episodes. It's been years since I watched any of these episodes, easily over a decade. So far I am enjoying all the episodes a lot more than I thought I would.
A well that's different then I say watch 'em all and take as long as you want with 'em
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:07 AM   #32
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Feature length Redemption? Yeah, I'm down for that. It'll sell far fewer than BoBW, but I'd be happy to grab any/all feature length versions. A pity the mid-season ones will probably be ignored, I'd love for Chain of Command and Unification.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:17 AM   #33
Dream
Admiral

I'm not skipping any episodes. It's been years since I watched any of these episodes, easily over a decade. So far I am enjoying all the episodes a lot more than I thought I would.
But aren't you cheating a little by skipping ahead and watching BOBW in theaters this week?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:44 AM   #34
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I hope they don't go overboard with the standalone releases. I'm all for BOBW and Redemption, and probably the other season cliffhangers, but I will draw the line at stinkers like Gambit. No thank you.

These standalone releases only make sense for season finales/openers, because it gives the diehard fans an opportunity to have the season premiere months early. Releasing in-season episodes with exclusive features will only piss off the fans. It would look like CBS was withholding features from the season set to force the fan to buy it twice, much like with Day-1 DLC for a video game.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 12:35 PM   #35
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

I really can't support the "double dip" argument that comes up around the standalone releases - yes, the BOBW disc has exclusive features, but you can take solace in the fact that because of all the other good stuff on the Season 3 set (90 minutes of documentary, a new 10-minute gag reel, and the 75-minute writers reunion), the features on the BOBW disc literally would not fit in the S3 set without adding a seventh disc, which would create a whole bunch of issues.

There's so much new content that they didn't have room for everything, and I'd rather them go all out and make that extra content available than not produce it at all.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 12:37 PM   #36
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm a bit concerned about the episode "Identity Crisis".
You may have noticed the jerkines in "We'll Always Have Paris" in this long panning shot when Picard first enters the Holodeck. This scene was shot in 30 fps for some reason, which was no problem in NTSC. The Blu-Ray however is 24p and this particular scene has applied a very ugly frame rate conversion making it that jerky.

Now the episode "Identity Crisis" has all the scenes on the planet and the holodeck simulation of it shot in 30 fps as well.
Please, don't make half that episode judder like this particular scene in "We'll Always Have Paris"! There must be a better way to do it properly. This issue is far worst than a 3:2 pullup, imho.

Other than this special case episode, some ship fly by scenes are also in 30 fps ocasionally throught all TNG, DS9 and VGR. I guess, the later CGI shots could be simply rerendered at 24fps, but how to tread the physical model shots?

Tosk wrote: View Post
A pity the mid-season ones will probably be ignored, I'd love for Chain of Command and Unification.
Indeed. They could be easily done with seamless branching with little effort as only the credit parts have to be included twice on the disc. Maybe Trekcore should point that out to the staff in charge.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:00 PM   #37
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

I'm no expert, but I would bet that the WAHP shot was done that way so that the film speed would match up with the frame rate of television monitor playing on-set.

Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:22 PM   #38
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
Upscale the original VFX elements and put them on HD Enterprise?

I think we need to get used to upscaled CGI if we are going to get Voyager and DS9 on Blu. We are already getting upscaled stuff on the Enterprise blu-rays.
Enterprise HD masters were made that way, they didn't change anything for the Blu-rays. TNG, DS9 and VOY need new masters, so they'll recreate anything that isn't HD, including digital effects.

Incidentally, some of the "Space Baby" and its mother was a physical model, some of it was CG. They'll have to rebuild the CG bits, but the model should hold up ok as is.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:33 PM   #39
MPH
Rear Admiral

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I better get my ass in gear. I'm still making my way through season 1!
I feel ya, I've been going through the two released seasons (as I have time) by eliminating the lamer episodes (unless I have a soft spot for it) by following Bernd's rankings on Ex Astris Scientia, which I generally agree with, and skipping episodes that get less than a 5.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/tng.htm
Those ratings are bizarre!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:30 PM   #40
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Dream wrote: View Post
But aren't you cheating a little by skipping ahead and watching BOBW in theaters this week?
Well it's not like there are any spoilers for me at this point!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:09 PM   #41
davejames
Vice Admiral

What the heck is their problem with Silicon Avatar?? I just recently rewatched it, and I think it's still as solid as ever.

Even if you have a beef with the way the scientist lady was treated at the end, there was still a lot of other good character stuff in that ep. As well as some great effects and planet sequences.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 06:36 PM   #42
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I was just browsing through those rankings and they rated Family a 4? They called it boring? Who wrote those reviews. While I don't agree with all of his reviews, At least Jammer seemed a bit more fair.
Old April 25 2013, 07:05 PM   #43
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I don't pay attention to reviewers for the most part. I know what I like and that's all that matters.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:25 PM   #44
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Aatrek wrote: View Post
I'm no expert, but I would bet that the WAHP shot was done that way so that the film speed would match up with the frame rate of television monitor playing on-set.
Sounds logical. On the other hand, we have a lot of real monitor shots done in 24 fps. I've read somewhere, that it was common practice to rather match the refresh on those CRT's to film rather than vice versa.
And this doesn't explain at all the reason behind the unusual frame rate in "Identity Crisis".
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:13 PM   #45
SpHeRe31459
Captain

It's been said that it depends on the VFX team doing the episode Curry or Legato. Dan Curry liked 30 fps so every other episode has it's VFX done that way. It was kind of odd, but one had a distinct preference for doing at video speed rather than film speed. Which could help explain "Identity Crisis".

http://trekcore.com/blog/2012/09/exc...gital-part-ii/
Yes, the two main VFX supervizors on the show were Dan Curry and Rob Legato. Rob Legato liked to shoot at 24 frames per second and Dan Curry liked to shoot at 30 frames per second. So basically, every other episode, one is 24 one is 30 – for the visual effects. So, yes, we had to – on all the episodes that were shot at 30 by Dan Curry – we had to put a 125% speed up on each of those elements so that they matched the original. We’re using Autodesk Smokeand Flame to do those speedups. For the most part, they are indistinguishable from the original. If and when there are artefacts from the speed-up process, we take them out and clean them up if they are noticeable.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; April 25 2013 at 08:35 PM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote