IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 25 2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor Entry #2

This may end up being my only entry since I'm much happier with the outcome of this one than the first. I was inspired by the "ship falling out of the sky" concept seen in the Into Darkness trailers, as well as coming across my Lake Tahoe pictures from last fall.

The Beauty and the beast concept is depicted here by juxtaposing a beautiful, serene backdrop with the ugly horrors of interstellar war (in this case, the Dominion War) This peaceful, lush and beautiful M-class planet is becoming an innocent bystander to the cold, uncaring beast of war.

Click to bigify

As for the execution, I may need to sleep on it but I'm pretty sure things like lighting and shadows are correct. From my memory of the day, the sun was fairly high and would have been coming nearly straight down on the ships.
Old April 25 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor Entry #2

very nicely done!
Zombie Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

cool!
Old April 25 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

That's a cool picture- depressing though. The galaxy's my favorite

What would make this ironic is how many fans (including those who post here) think the Galaxy Class is ugly judging from all of those favorite starship class (or fave Enterprise) poll threads that pops up every another month.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:20 AM   #5
Kaziarl
Commodore

I thought the scenery looked familiar. Although I still personally think Crater Lake tops it as one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Just a thought though, and feel free to totally ignore me, but this image is giving me the impression that the ship is pretty small. Where the shadow is at compared to the tree's and rocks, etc, that looks like one tiny Galaxy.
Old April 26 2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

My thoughts, too. It's around 50 ft long, judging it based on the height of the trees on the shore. But it IS a beautiful picture!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; April 26 2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: dumb autocorrect
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 02:04 AM   #7
Kaziarl
Commodore

What if it showed the Stardrive section crashing somewhere in the distance, and the Saucer section about to perform a Troi Parking Maneuver?

I agree it's a nice image as it is, just some other thoughts Flux might be interested in.
Old April 26 2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Yeah the scale was one of the things that stood out to me upon looking at it again after being away from it for a while. I could always say that hey, those are just some huge trees and rocks but I think I'll either make the ship slightly larger and/or move the shadow back to increase the visual distance of the ship. I was really happy with my shadow effect but if it helps the scaling to move it then that's what I'll do.
Old April 26 2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

I adjusted the scale a bit but in favor of composition, if it still seems a bit small...just imagine this is an alien world and those are some big ass trees and rocks.

Click to enlarge
Old April 28 2013, 06:58 PM   #10
JES
Captain

Overall, I like the concept, and there are only two problems I have with your execution:
1) I don't believe that the Jem'Hadar Attack Ships have weapons in their nacelles. The only weapons I know of are in or on top of their nose, which I believe is a polaron beam emitter (or a series of them; I'm not sure), and to my knowledge, a series of torpedo launchers. I don't believe they have pulse weapons; only directed energy beams and torpedoes, though if I'm wrong, I'd love to know.
2) The registry that is clearly visible, NCC-71832, belonged to the Odyssey, yes? If I remember correctly, she was engaged in, and destroyed in space.

Okay, now that I have gotten the problems out of the way, I should end my comments on a good note: as a stickler for details, I love how you have additional Jem'Hedar starships visibly hanging in low orbit.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:30 AM   #11
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Yeah, you're right the fighter has a pulse weapon but it does come from the nose area. Easy fix.

And yes, the ship is the Odyssey...just pretend she makes it out of this skirmish somehow...?
Old April 29 2013, 08:38 PM   #12
JES
Captain

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice? The Odyssey was a nice name, carried by a nice ship (though the current ship to carry the name is nice herself).

I guess if changing the name and registry is not feasible...

Okay, so I'll honestly take the scene less seriously now, but that is just how I am.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote