Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 22 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Enterprise1981
Rear Admiral

View Enterprise1981's Twitter Profile
How was it that only Data really understood Danar's tactics?

The last time I watched "The Hunted", something about Data being the only one who had any understanding Danar's diversionary tactics seemed a bit irksome. Yet, the others kept falling for his diversions. Data first brought it up at the beginning of the episode when he deduced that he got away in an escape pod while they were chasing the ship he escaped in.

After Danar's escape from the brig, Riker seems dumfounded that Danar found a way to disable one of the forcefields--probably because of a dialogue goof. Danar gets on a turbolift on Deck 34, supposedly having fallen for Picard's trap, but turns out to have just pushed the button for the desired floor and gotten out. He knocks out the same security guard from before, only he's on Deck 36 now. That slip-up is somewhat forgivable with Picard following the same logic as "Deja Q" where decides that they proceed as if Q can't help them put the moon back in its proper orbit.

But even when Data points out Danar's misdirection tactics again, Picard and Riker don't instruct Worf to assume that Danar might still be hiding in the cargo bay in spite of the missing pressure suit, so he sends away the two accompanying guards and is forced to take on Danar himself.

Sure, it's nitpicking on my part, but it sure stands to reason that the captain and first officer would be just as adept as their quick-thinking android.
Old April 22 2013, 08:26 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: How was it that only Data really understood Danar's tactics?

Well, I find it more amusing that Data can anticipate military tactics without fail but falls for something as simple as a bluff, despite having read all the texts there are on poker. To say nothing of losing to chess to Troi.
Old April 22 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

He's only human.

...oh wait.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Data gets distracted, because during his free time he takes out his little holo-projector of Tasha and relives that memorable night.
Old April 22 2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Dale Sams
Captain

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
The last time I watched "The Hunted", something about Data being the only one who had any understanding Danar's diversionary tactics seemed a bit irksome. Yet, the others kept falling for his diversions. Data first brought it up at the beginning of the episode when he deduced that he got away in an escape pod while they were chasing the ship he escaped in.

After Danar's escape from the brig, Riker seems dumfounded that Danar found a way to disable one of the forcefields--probably because of a dialogue goof. Danar gets on a turbolift on Deck 34, supposedly having fallen for Picard's trap, but turns out to have just pushed the button for the desired floor and gotten out. He knocks out the same security guard from before, only he's on Deck 36 now. That slip-up is somewhat forgivable with Picard following the same logic as "Deja Q" where decides that they proceed as if Q can't help them put the moon back in its proper orbit.

But even when Data points out Danar's misdirection tactics again, Picard and Riker don't instruct Worf to assume that Danar might still be hiding in the cargo bay in spite of the missing pressure suit, so he sends away the two accompanying guards and is forced to take on Danar himself.

Sure, it's nitpicking on my part, but it sure stands to reason that the captain and first officer would be just as adept as their quick-thinking android.
Third season (I think) Riker and Picard are still as soft as Stay Puff Marshmellow Men. As for Worf...well...it's not called The Worf effect for nothing.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

I really wish the episode would have had Data knocking out Danar with one blow!
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I like how the security guy he knocks out is starring at the wall next to him instead of covering the hallway with his phaser!
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:47 AM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Data doesn't understand human emotion but he understands rational behavior.

Danar was not swayed by emotion, he was acting strictly on the basis of 'What is my best hope to escape the ship'. It makes sense that Data was able to surmise exactly what he hoped to gain by all his actions.

But it doesn't make sense after Peak Performance that Riker was not sharing in this anticipation.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote