TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 24 2013, 09:57 PM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

Hops are actually good for fighting disease and encouraging muscle growth.
Old April 24 2013, 09:57 PM   #32
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post

A week???

That's the first I've heard this "general rule," and frankly it sounds terrible.
Yep, that's really a sufficient amount, and leads to much better health. I'm coming at this strictly from the science, as I just had a lamb burger last weekend, so I love some yummy meat, but red meat does damage the heart, and vegetarians are generally overall much more healthy, have lower rates of heart disease and cancer, and live longer than meat-eaters. Really, a serving of meat every other day is a good general rule, and it's not difficult to follow.
This is why diet is always a funny subject for me. I literally eat meat with every single meal. If a meal doesn't contain meat, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. One serving every other day would probably kill me. I eat roughly 5-6 servings of meat on a daily basis.

I'm also one of the healthiest people that I know.
Do we have to bring up again how long it takes you to take a shit?

Seriously, though, I think you'd find cutting down on meat easier than you think.

Diet is such an interesting topic to discuss because you will get so many varied responses about what is "healthy." There are the vegetarians that never eat meat. I know a lot of people on the Paleo Diet that eat lots of meat and green veggies and swear they're the healthiest they've ever been. There's people that only eat egg whites because yolks cause high cholesterol (a "fact" that is totally not true). Other people refuse to eat dairy because "no other mammal drinks milk after they're babies." Such a funny topic.
I do agree with you that diet is very personal, and that it is annoying and stupid the way so many people think they know the best way for everyone else to eat (usually related to extreme diets or stupid fad diets like the recent and idiotic "paleo" craze). However, the OP asked for some good general advice, and I think that is what I gave. For someone trying to improve their health, cutting down on meat intake, eating more vegetables and fruits, and preparing food instead of buying prepackaged is good general advice.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:58 PM   #33
RoJoHen
Awesome

However, the OP asked for some good general advice, and I think that is what I gave. For someone trying to improve their health, cutting down on meat intake, eating more vegetables and fruits, and preparing food instead of buying prepackaged is good general advice.
Aw, you're no fun.
Old April 24 2013, 09:58 PM   #34
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Really, a serving of meat every other day is a good general rule, and it's not difficult to follow.
Yeah: I love meat, and I come from a family where it was almost mandatory to eat at least one serving of red meat a day. That's not counting poultry or fish.

Since I've been living on my own I started to eat a lot of salads, steamed vegetables, vegetarian stews, etc. It really cut my meat intake (and not even on purpose), and it did wonders to my energy level during the day.
Old April 24 2013, 10:01 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

Okay, yes, veggies are good. Eat lots of veggies. Fruits are good, too, but don't go overboard because they're still full of sugar.
Old April 24 2013, 10:02 PM   #36
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

However, the OP asked for some good general advice, and I think that is what I gave. For someone trying to improve their health, cutting down on meat intake, eating more vegetables and fruits, and preparing food instead of buying prepackaged is good general advice.
Aw, you're no fun.

View my art!
Old April 24 2013, 10:05 PM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

Aw, you're no fun.
I just often forget that most people don't have bodybuilding as their primary hobby. Most people don't exercise at all.

My body reacts to things in such a way that, as long as I'm still lifting and staying active, I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I still eat like a 15-year old boy going through a growth spurt. All the calories. All the time.

I forget that this doesn't work for everybody.
Old April 24 2013, 10:19 PM   #38
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Aw, you're no fun.
I just often forget that most people don't have bodybuilding as their primary hobby. Most people don't exercise at all.

My body reacts to things in such a way that, as long as I'm still lifting and staying active, I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I still eat like a 15-year old boy going through a growth spurt. All the calories. All the time.

I forget that this doesn't work for everybody.
But then you also get people like me, who are very athletic (workout between 3-5 hours a day), and eat very healthy diets, but I'm still a little overweight because of the insulin I'm on. Weight and ability to work out aren't the only indicators of health. They're big ones, yeah, but not the only ones. I would worry that your diet will catch up with you. Or maybe it won't, who knows? But red meat itself damages the heart, and even if the outside is doing well, who knows what's happening on the inside? Just something to think about.

View my art!
Old April 24 2013, 10:23 PM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

I was raised on red meat. My dad works at a meat packing plant. Every single morning for as long as I've been alive, he has eaten a steak for breakfast. He has also had many doctors tell him he's one of the healthiest 57-year olds they've ever seen. Family history is also important to consider. We have absolutely no history or cancer or heart disease (lots of Alzheimer's, though). I'm actually pretty lucky, all things considered. The only people in my family who have died before the age of 90 have been from things like car accidents and World War II.

In summary, I'm gonna keep doin' what I'm doin'.

Also keep in mind that when I say "meat," I lump in chicken and turkey and the like. Poultry is still meat. Most of the meat I eat is probably chicken.
Old April 24 2013, 10:27 PM   #40
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I was raised on red meat. My dad works at a meat packing plant. Every single morning for as long as I've been alive, he has eaten a steak for breakfast. He has also had many doctors tell him he's one of the healthiest 57-year olds they've ever seen. Family history is also important to consider. We have absolutely no history or cancer or heart disease (lots of Alzheimer's, though).

In summary, I'm gonna keep doin' what I'm doin'.
And that's fine. It's also the same argument as the dude who smokes a pack a day his entire life and never gets sick: there are outliers, and anomalies, of course. But that doesn't make it good advice for most people, nor change the fact that red meat damages the heart, and so people seeking a healthier diet would do well to eat less of it.

View my art!
Old April 24 2013, 11:20 PM   #41
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

Hope I'm not too late to chime in.

You can get delivery of some foods from Amazon (quality and prices vary, understand that). One good company is Bob's Red Mill. They sell a lot of grains and many of them are either free shipping or you can get them as subscribe & save which means free shipping + a discount for signing up for continuing buys (which you can put off). We eat the quinoa, bulgur and flaxseed from them.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:25 PM   #42
sojourner
Admiral

What the hell was the "paleo" fad?
Old April 24 2013, 11:31 PM   #43
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
What the hell was the "paleo" fad?
It's an exceptionally stupid fad diet called the Paleo Diet. Basically, some idiots picked an arbitrary point in the history of human evolution and decided that the way they imagined people ate back then is the way we are "meant" to eat. The diet itself is perfectly healthy -- your standard low carb, high in fruit and veg, no processed foods, no refined sugars and grains diet. But the reasoning, if one can call it that, is solidly idiotic, and its proponents are very preachy. Preachy and stupid.

View my art!
Old April 24 2013, 11:34 PM   #44
Kenbushway
Captain

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely pay attention to herbs and spices over fats for flavoring. I didn't pay much attention to the pasta's on here so I can understand turning away from the spaghetti one. I went with this site because it wasn't asking for fancy ingredients(like all recipes/food network) For the most point what we eat now is all packaged so eating actual food is healthier in my view. I know what you are talking about with organic vs regular; its not the nutrition its the shit put in the soil that people worry about. Overall not having synthetic chemicals in your system is better.
Old April 24 2013, 11:35 PM   #45
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

In the summer:

Buy a variety of vegetables that are good raw, (zucchini, peppers, beans, tomatoes, carrots.. avoid iceberg lettuce, it is only water) and cut them into bit sized pieces. Add cubes of cheese, sprinkle with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar. Have the most wholemeally or rye-ish bread you can find on the side and eat.

In the winter:

Buy vegetables good for baking, potato, squashes, beets, onions, turnips, and bake them in the oven. Shake some herbs on them towards the end, and some grated cheese towards the end and eat.

If you don't have any idea what you're doing start with basic foods and get into the flavours and textures and familiarize yourself with them. A meal doesn't always have to be something with a name and a sauce.

Also if you don't have one buy a slow cooker for the winter months. You can't fail with them and it will make a lot of food.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote