RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,537
Posts: 5,513,023
Members: 25,140
Currently online: 455
Newest member: themagicman

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 24 2013, 10:06 PM   #256
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Flake wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
section9 wrote: View Post

Damon Lindelof can write his way out of anything. He can pull a baboon out of Eleanor Roosevelt's ass if he has to.


While trailers obviously don't always present things in order, from what I saw in one I think Cumby is actually on the ground in SF watching the ship crash (the shot where he has a cut on his face and actually runs away from the scene). So, my bet is he's not on the ship (which is why Spock comes after him in SF).

The thing is: is Admiral Marcus aboard the crashing ship? What happens to him? Could he be the one Cumby is referring to when he says that every captain should go down with his ship?
My understanding from the trailers is that Cumberbatch is on the bridge until the ship comes to a stop and he jumps out of the broken viewscreen/window onto the rubble and makes his escape. Either that or he finds an airlock but I would assume his ship will have lost power at this point.
Could be that, too. I can imagine it from a couple of shots we've seen in trailers. I wonder if he yells, "Oh, shit!" as the ship goes down. (Why not? It would be just another inside reference?)
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 10:42 PM   #257
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Baby Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Captrek wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
For that matter, how could Earth survive it?
According to The Doomsday Machine, blowing up a Constellation class ship has an explosive yield of 97 MT, about double the Tsar Bomba. It would destroy San Francisco, but not the world.

But we know Scotty's been aboard and engaging in sabotage, so maybe he ejected or otherwise neutralized the warp core.
Well, just because a ship crashes to Earth does not mean that it also has to explode.
__________________
Some say that his arrival was foretold by a Check Engine light shining over Bethlehem and that he was born in a manger on Christmas Day.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:27 PM   #258
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral
 
Lapis Exilis's Avatar
 
Location: Underground
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Captrek wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
ROBE wrote: View Post
If this was a complete reboot them a white Khan would be fine, however it is not.
So time travelling Romulans turned a three hundred year old Indian into a Northern European?

See - this is the problem with time travel hokum to try to hook the reboot to the old series. It always just results in a far more incoherent fictional universe than a clean restart would.
It is a clean restart. The Prime timeline of the Abrams canon is an original creation that bears a strong resemblance to the original canon. Spock Prime appearing in XI is like the 1979 Cylons appearing in NuBSG: it looks like the original but isn't.

Feel better?
I wasn't feeling bad - at least not about this. This is all academic to me because Abrams can't seem to tell a decent story, so without that most basic aspect in place, this is just a way for me to pass time commenting on something inconsequential so I can escape from worry about my father who is about to have open heart surgery.

However, your argument is flawed. This is not at all the same as nuBSG which gave a nod to the original series by having the first generation Cylons in its cleanly restarted story look like the Cylons from the original series. There was no attempt to use AU/time travel bs to connect the two stories. And for whatever problems I had with BSG as it went along - at least it bravely took its franchise somewhere more complex and more interesting than the original. Star Trek, sadly, seems headed in the opposite direction, becoming more shallow, more bland and more generic.
__________________
Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer. - Scott Straten
Lapis Exilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:29 PM   #259
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Flake wrote: View Post
My understanding from the trailers is that Cumberbatch is on the bridge until the ship comes to a stop and he jumps out of the broken viewscreen/window onto the rubble and makes his escape.
The ship crashes into the harbor, doesn't it?
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:43 PM   #260
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

The first review is up at Rottentomatoes.com
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 12:06 AM   #261
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
My understanding from the trailers is that Cumberbatch is on the bridge until the ship comes to a stop and he jumps out of the broken viewscreen/window onto the rubble and makes his escape.
The ship crashes into the harbor, doesn't it?
Harrison watches the London bombing, not the ship crash.

No real spoilers here, since it can all be pieced together from trailers: the Dreadnought crashes into the harbor and momentum carries it well into the city. Harrison dusts himself off, hangs out the broken viewscreen and stares at the damage below. He then somehow gets out of the ship and runs like hell through various windows.

Now for the spoiler part:

WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 12:09 AM   #262
topas
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
topas's Avatar
 
Location: Warsaw, POLAND
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
My understanding from the trailers is that Cumberbatch is on the bridge until the ship comes to a stop and he jumps out of the broken viewscreen/window onto the rubble and makes his escape.
The ship crashes into the harbor, doesn't it?
Yeah, that made me curious too. Is that the wreckage of the Vengeance that we see in the background, her saucer against the backdrop of white sky?

topas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:01 AM   #263
CTarnak
Ensign
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Section 31 is definitely mentioned, but it's a throwaway mention about "Harrison" and is a fabrication (as I understood it). Didn't hear 'augments' ever mentioned that I remember.

Alice Eve is screaming because Khan kills her dad (Peter Weller) in front of her by squeezing his head with his hands.

WarpFactorZ is right on the money with the rest, other than the fact Uhura helps Spock out as well.

Not sure about that screenshot. It could be. They run pretty far before they get on the barges, and the Vengeance does come to a stop in a position like that... but it could just be a building.

The score was one of the best parts, particularly if you liked ST09's score.
CTarnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:09 AM   #264
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

CTarnak wrote: View Post
WarpFactorZ is right on the money with the rest, other than the fact Uhura helps Spock out as well.
Which would match up with those leaked pictures from a while ago.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:17 AM   #265
Beyerstein
Captain
 
Beyerstein's Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

hey, does anyone know what was Heather Langenkamp's character? is she recognizable in the movie?
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:21 AM   #266
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BTW, I got an impression after XI that the new cast was pairing up: Kirk had Bones, Spock had Uhura, Scotty had Keenser and I anticipated Sulu and Chekov would become close. Any emerging Sulu-Chekov friendship evident in STID?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:29 AM   #267
CTarnak
Ensign
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

No, Chekov and Sulu don't even speak, that I remember. Sulu gets one hero moment, but Chekov really gets shafted in this movie, with barely anything of note to do. Scotty is a bit of a boss though.
CTarnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:41 AM   #268
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

CTarnak wrote: View Post
Alice Eve is screaming because Khan kills her dad (Peter Weller) in front of her by squeezing his head with his hands.
"I'm crushing your head...I'm crushing your head..."
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:46 AM   #269
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
CTarnak wrote: View Post
Alice Eve is screaming because Khan kills her dad (Peter Weller) in front of her by squeezing his head with his hands.
"I'm crushing your head...I'm crushing your head..."
Did she try to stop him by pinching his face?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:59 AM   #270
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

RAMA wrote: View Post
The first review is up at Rottentomatoes.com
100% positive at RT! YES!

Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.