Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 24 2013, 11:07 PM   #466
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

No, delete the transporter error.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:12 PM   #467
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's really ironic that in a similar situation... where the Viidians stole Neelix's lungs and condemned him to death... Janeway refused to kill the person to take them back, citing that humanity was more evolved than that.

Maybe the Viidians just weren't Federation property.
Old April 24 2013, 11:12 PM   #468
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Dream wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
We've all been dancing around the basic issue: does Data have a soul? I don't know that he has. I don't know that I have! But I have got to give him the freedom to explore that question himself. It is the ruling of this court that Lieutenant Commander Data has the freedom to choose."

The relevant is in bold.
Louvois is a trained JAG and Janeway does whatever hell she wants without regards to any laws.

What really bothered me is that Janeway never gave the Doctor more time to find a way to keep Tuvix while bringing back Neelix and Tuvok. What was with the rush? Don't they owe him that before condemning him to death?
In Stargate everyone was very disturbed that their clones were still out there. Picard seemed to veer between conflicted responsibility and revulsion towards his clone. The Rikers as I recall were antagonistic right off the bat. I would imagine having yourself blended with someone else might be even worse.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:17 PM   #469
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I still say it was the orchids' fault. Yet everyone in the show seems to ignore them. Tuvix isn't just a Vulcaxian, he's also a plant.
Old April 24 2013, 11:19 PM   #470
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Why should Seven be removed from the Collective? Like Tuvix, the Borg are a gestalt of the former individuals. Removing parts of the whole is an assault on the Borg. They are one, and The rights of the Collective should be respected.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old April 24 2013, 11:20 PM   #471
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
I still say it was the orchids' fault. Yet everyone in the show seems to ignore them. Tuvix isn't just a Vulcaxian, he's also a plant.
A weed to be mulched.
Old April 24 2013, 11:22 PM   #472
teacake
Admiral

I still don't get why they don't see the orchid as the greatest agent for transporter development ever. Imagine if you took something that's very hard to obtain and transported it and the orchid with a tribble.. suddenly you have more of the stuff than you know what to do with. And food! At the very least you could infuse vodka in moments rather than months or however long it takes to stick vanilla or whatever in it.

I'd be saying, "transport everything I'm to eat with a this fresh chillie, I'll let you know if I ever grow tired of it!"

It has so many applications.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 24 2013, 11:22 PM   #473
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
We've all been dancing around the basic issue: does Data have a soul? I don't know that he has. I don't know that I have! But I have got to give him the freedom to explore that question himself. It is the ruling of this court that Lieutenant Commander Data has the freedom to choose."

The relevant is in bold.
Louvois is a trained JAG and Janeway does whatever hell she wants without regards to any laws.

What really bothered me is that Janeway never gave the Doctor more time to find a way to keep Tuvix while bringing back Neelix and Tuvok. What was with the rush? Don't they owe him that before condemning him to death?
In Stargate everyone was very disturbed that their clones were still out there. Picard seemed to veer between conflicted responsibility and revulsion towards his clone. The Rikers as I recall were antagonistic right off the bat. I would imagine having yourself blended with someone else might be even worse.
Eh, in Up the Long Ladder, Riker just flippin phasered the clones they made of him and Pulaski. That was murder by all accounts as well.
Old April 24 2013, 11:26 PM   #474
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I still don't get why they don't see the orchid as the greatest agent for transporter development ever. Imagine if you took something that's very hard to obtain and transported it and the orchid with a tribble.. suddenly you have more of the stuff than you know what to do with. And food! At the very least you could infuse vodka in moments rather than months or however long it takes to stick vanilla or whatever in it.

I'd be saying, "transport everything I'm to eat with a this fresh chillie, I'll let you know if I ever grow tired of it!"

It has so many applications.
Imagine Janeway and Seven going through. Is the quadrant ready for that?
Old April 24 2013, 11:31 PM   #475
Dream
Admiral

The Rikers as I recall were antagonistic right off the bat. I would imagine having yourself blended with someone else might be even worse.
In Riker's defense, he saved his duplicate from death. I thought it was interesting how TNG handled the transporter duplicate storyline, with both being clones of the original.

I hated how DS9 made Thomas Riker the bad guy and concluded his storyline. I like to pretend his story actually ended in TNG, and that Thomas is still out there in Starfleet.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:36 PM   #476
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Why should Seven be removed from the Collective? Like Tuvix, the Borg are a gestalt of the former individuals. Removing parts of the whole is an assault on the Borg. They are one, and The rights of the Collective should be respected.
There's a minor difference between Tuvix being the result(not the cause) of an accident and the Borg enslaving everyone they can into their hive mind.
Old April 24 2013, 11:38 PM   #477
teacake
Admiral

I wish they had airlocked W. Riker and left us with T. Riker and he had gone secretly rogue on TNG for several seasons.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 24 2013, 11:38 PM   #478
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Remember in up the long Ladder when Riker killed his clone because "The universe is only big enough for one Will Riker!"?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:42 PM   #479
Gov Kodos
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
There's a minor difference between Tuvix being the result(not the cause) of an accident and the Borg enslaving everyone they can into their hive mind.
So then, the Collective's rights as a sentient entity deserve no respect. Why should an accident allow Tuvix any rights as an individual that the Borg shouldn't have?
Old April 24 2013, 11:52 PM   #480
teacake
Admiral

The Borg queen was certainly pissed off at her precious 7's removal like a molar from the collective.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne