Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 23 2013, 11:33 AM   #106
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Your own personal continuity

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
A big part of my personal continuity: Dr. Gillian Taylor would have gone into genetics research and been a major factor in the Eugenics Wars had she been left in the 20th century.
Not sure how that would actually fit?

The Voyage Home takes place in 1986, less than six years before the wars start. Khan and his other supermen would likely already be young adults by that point.
Old April 23 2013, 02:43 PM   #107
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
A big part of my personal continuity: Dr. Gillian Taylor would have gone into genetics research and been a major factor in the Eugenics Wars had she been left in the 20th century.

The Voyage Home takes place in 1986, less than six years before the wars start. Khan and his other supermen would likely already be young adults by that point.
Accelerated genetic growth, perhaps? Khan and the other supermen were full adults by the time of the Eugenics Wars although they were chronologically not that old.

Would explain Khan's occasional temper tantrums too...
Old April 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #108
Third Nacelle
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

Accelerated genetic growth, perhaps? Khan and the other supermen were full adults by the time of the Eugenics Wars although they were chronologically not that old.

I didn't say she created the Augments... just that she played a major part in the war. It's just my way of reconciling the fiction with the fact.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:32 PM   #109
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I didn't say she created the Augments... just that she played a major part in the war. It's just my way of reconciling the fiction with the fact.
I guess my second thought regarding Gillian Taylor would be how could she have played a part in the war? She left in 1986.
Old April 23 2013, 05:39 PM   #110
Third Nacelle
Captain

That's the point.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 06:41 PM   #111
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I didn't say she created the Augments either.
Old April 23 2013, 09:26 PM   #112
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

This would explain the majority of Khan's crew in TWOK, they were all early teens/pre-teens, but were the size of adults.

Besides Khan, there was one older guy.

Old April 23 2013, 11:03 PM   #113
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

No, but BillJ stated he didn't understand how Gillian could fit a role in the Eugenics Wars since Khan and Co. were already young adults by 1986. What about Khan's age in 1986 affects Gillian involvement/lack of involvement with the Eugenics Wars?

I gather that the point being made is Gillian's presence influenced or affected the Eugenics Wars in some fashion (shades of Edith Keeler). When Kirk took Gillian back to the 23rd Century, he altered history.

Speaking of the Eugenics Wars... I don't see from the context of the episodes how the Eugenics Wars could have been fought covertly (sorry Mr. Cox). Just because a portion of the United States (as seen in Voyager) was unscratched doesn't in itself imply the Eugenics Wars were covert. WWI and WWII did not leave a mark on the North American landscape either, yet they were pretty overt. I see the Eugenics Wars as suped-up versions of the Ethnic Cleansing we saw in Bosnia and Rwanda back in the 90s. But hey, that's my personal continuity.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:48 AM   #114
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I figured Gillian Taylor's identical twin sister married an ancestor of Capt. Will Decker, who was a minister.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:55 AM   #115
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Master and Commander and Galaxy Quest are both part of the Star Trek canon.
Old April 24 2013, 05:30 PM   #116
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I just remembered: As a kid, I always assumed that the transporters were based on the technology developed in the old 1958 version of The Fly.
Old April 24 2013, 09:21 PM   #117
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post

No, but BillJ stated he didn't understand how Gillian could fit a role in the Eugenics Wars since Khan and Co. were already young adults by 1986. What about Khan's age in 1986 affects Gillian involvement/lack of involvement with the Eugenics Wars?
It depends on how long the Augments have been around. If they've been around since (at least) the 1960s, then they'd be fairly old news to Gillian in 1986. But if they suddenly came out of nowhere in 1986, then they'd be just something Gillian had only recently heard about (I proposed having them be the product of accelerated growth as one way that could happen).

Either way, I think Gillian's "involvement" in the Eugenics Wars would be tangential, perhaps no more than she was alive when the first seeds of the conflict were probably planted, with actual direct hostilities to occur about six years later, IMO.
Old April 24 2013, 10:23 PM   #118
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

It depends on how long the Augments have been around. If they've been around since (at least) the 1960s, then they'd be fairly old news to Gillian in 1986. But if they suddenly came out of nowhere in 1986, then they'd be just something Gillian had only recently heard about (I proposed having them be the product of accelerated growth as one way that could happen).

Either way, I think Gillian's "involvement" in the Eugenics Wars would be tangential, perhaps no more than she was alive when the first seeds of the conflict were probably planted, with actual direct hostilities to occur about six years later, IMO.
I gotta disagree. Edith Keeler's life had a great impact on World War II, yet she had no connection to Hitler. Gillian could likewise have had a profound impact on the Eugenics Wars without ever meeting Khan.

Eh, all this is spitballing though. I personally don't like the notion of Gillian having an influence ala Edith Keeler. We've already been there and done that. But it's fun to what-if.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 11:54 PM   #119
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Wesley crusher was never born !!!
Old April 25 2013, 02:27 AM   #120
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I gotta disagree. Edith Keeler's life had a great impact on World War II, yet she had no connection to Hitler. Gillian could likewise have had a profound impact on the Eugenics Wars without ever meeting Khan.
Explain how, please. Gillian's work was in Cetacean biology (namely whales). You'd have to come up with a connection between whales and the Eugenics Wars.
Eh, all this is spitballing though. I personally don't like the notion of Gillian having an influence ala Edith Keeler. We've already been there and done that. But it's fun to what-if.
Gillian Taylor is one of the least likely persons to be involved directly in the Eugenics Wars, IMO, but a case could be made that she was there to see the events leading up to it.