RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,838
Posts: 5,473,543
Members: 25,038
Currently online: 533
Newest member: tomblue

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 24 2013, 09:04 PM   #241
yenny
Captain
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Roald wrote: View Post
It may have been mentioned before, but can anyone confirm if either the term 'Section 31' or 'augment' is mentioned in the film..? And is there a reference to the Eugenics Wars being in the 1990's..?
I can't confirm about Section 31 and augment.

Of the the Eugenics wars? In Space Seed, it was mention had been fought in the 1990s. But in the same episode and later in ST'TWOK, Both Spock and later in Khan stated that it was fought 200 years ago of present date. With would put it being fought sometime in the 2060s-2080s.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:12 PM   #242
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

yenny wrote: View Post
In Space Seed, it was mention had been fought in the 1990s. But in the same episode and later in ST'TWOK, Both Spock and later in Khan stated that it was fought 200 years ago of present date. With would put it being fought sometime in the 2060s-2080s.
Like I said, if they give a specific year - like they did in TWOK - that takes precedence. Any time they say things like "200 years ago", that can be dismissed as a rounding-off.

Besides, TWOK isn't even consistent with its own self. The opening text says "In the 23rd century...", yet Khan later gives both the date of 1996 *and* mentions "200 years ago."
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:18 PM   #243
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
ROBE wrote: View Post
If this was a complete reboot them a white Khan would be fine, however it is not.
So time travelling Romulans turned a three hundred year old Indian into a Northern European?

See - this is the problem with time travel hokum to try to hook the reboot to the old series. It always just results in a far more incoherent fictional universe than a clean restart would.
It is a clean restart. The Prime timeline of the Abrams canon is an original creation that bears a strong resemblance to the original canon. Spock Prime appearing in XI is like the 1979 Cylons appearing in NuBSG: it looks like the original but isn't.

Feel better?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:23 PM   #244
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xaios's Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Can anyone comment on the new film's score? How does it stack up against some of the classic ST scores like TMP, TWOK and TUC?
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:25 PM   #245
section9
Commander
 
section9's Avatar
 
Location: Sunrise, Florida
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BTW, fwiu, Cumberbatch's Khan doesn't die at the end of the film, which allows him to come back for the threequel.

That's how good he is. Casting Cumberbatch was inspired, imho.
__________________
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it!" - Winston S. Churchill
section9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:34 PM   #246
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Captrek wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
ROBE wrote: View Post
If this was a complete reboot them a white Khan would be fine, however it is not.
So time travelling Romulans turned a three hundred year old Indian into a Northern European?

See - this is the problem with time travel hokum to try to hook the reboot to the old series. It always just results in a far more incoherent fictional universe than a clean restart would.
It is a clean restart. The Prime timeline of the Abrams canon is an original creation that bears a strong resemblance to the original canon. Spock Prime appearing in XI is like the 1979 Cylons appearing in NuBSG: it looks like the original but isn't.

Feel better?
No it's not. Spock Prime is from the future of the original timeline. This is "fact." The timelines diverged when the Kelvin was destroyed. This is "fact."
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:35 PM   #247
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Okay, this thread went from 10 pages to 17 while I read every page, and even though it's alluded to in Therin's non-spoiler thread, the question hasn't been asked here.

What is Alice Eve "Omagawwwwwd!"-ing about? Does she see Kirk naked or something?

And maybe Cumberbatch isn't Khan the Sikh from India, but Kahn the Jewish guy from Chelsea.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:40 PM   #248
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

If Khanberbatch is on board the Vengeance when it crashes into Earth, then how could he survive that?

For that matter, how could Earth survive it?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:41 PM   #249
section9
Commander
 
section9's Avatar
 
Location: Sunrise, Florida
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Right, that would mean that Khan is a fan of Chelsea in the Premiership.

Poor Khan...
__________________
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it!" - Winston S. Churchill
section9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:42 PM   #250
section9
Commander
 
section9's Avatar
 
Location: Sunrise, Florida
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
If Khanberbatch is on board the Vengeance when it crashes into Earth, then how could he survive that?

For that matter, how could Earth survive it?
Damon Lindelof can write his way out of anything. He can pull a baboon out of Eleanor Roosevelt's ass if he has to.
__________________
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it!" - Winston S. Churchill
section9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:49 PM   #251
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

section9 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
If Khanberbatch is on board the Vengeance when it crashes into Earth, then how could he survive that?

For that matter, how could Earth survive it?
Damon Lindelof can write his way out of anything. He can pull a baboon out of Eleanor Roosevelt's ass if he has to.


While trailers obviously don't always present things in order, from what I saw in one I think Cumby is actually on the ground in SF watching the ship crash (the shot where he has a cut on his face and actually runs away from the scene). So, my bet is he's not on the ship (which is why Spock comes after him in SF).

The thing is: is Admiral Marcus aboard the crashing ship? What happens to him? Could he be the one Cumby is referring to when he says that every captain should go down with his ship?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:50 PM   #252
WarpFactorZ
Captain
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
If Khanberbatch is on board the Vengeance when it crashes into Earth, then how could he survive that?
Seatbelt? George Kirk wasn't wearing one, after all, otherwise things might have been different.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:56 PM   #253
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Franklin wrote: View Post
section9 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
If Khanberbatch is on board the Vengeance when it crashes into Earth, then how could he survive that?

For that matter, how could Earth survive it?
Damon Lindelof can write his way out of anything. He can pull a baboon out of Eleanor Roosevelt's ass if he has to.


While trailers obviously don't always present things in order, from what I saw in one I think Cumby is actually on the ground in SF watching the ship crash (the shot where he has a cut on his face and actually runs away from the scene). So, my bet is he's not on the ship (which is why Spock comes after him in SF).

The thing is: is Admiral Marcus aboard the crashing ship? What happens to him? Could he be the one Cumby is referring to when he says that every captain should go down with his ship?
My understanding from the trailers is that Cumberbatch is on the bridge until the ship comes to a stop and he jumps out of the broken viewscreen/window onto the rubble and makes his escape. Either that or he finds an airlock but I would assume his ship will have lost power at this point.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:59 PM   #254
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
For that matter, how could Earth survive it?
According to The Doomsday Machine, blowing up a Constellation class ship has an explosive yield of 97 MT, about double the Tsar Bomba. It would destroy San Francisco, but not the world.

But we know Scotty's been aboard and engaging in sabotage, so maybe he ejected or otherwise neutralized the warp core.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 10:02 PM   #255
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Franklin wrote: View Post
The thing is: is Admiral Marcus aboard the crashing ship? What happens to him? Could he be the one Cumby is referring to when he says that every captain should go down with his ship?
I assume that Khan actually kills Marcus after getting on board the Vengeance.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.