Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 7 2009, 05:24 PM   #31
Steve Roby
Commodore

Re: Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath

donners22 wrote: View Post
I have the two Phoenix books, two of the New Voyages anthologies and Star Trek Lives! sitting on my shelf.

I've not actually read any of them, and this thread is not exactly threatening to change that.
There's some good stuff in the New Voyages anthologies. Star Trek Lives has some interesting stuff as well, particularly the two chapters by Joan Winston and the chapter on fanfic.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:03 PM   #32
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

First, I didn't know I could resurrect a thread this old. Second, I just started reading Star Trek Lives. I do find it interesting considering when it was written, and what has happened to Trek since the 1970s. I read Prometheus Design, and hated it, but so far, this is much better. Perhaps the influence of the other two authors is really helping.
The impression I got is ROddenberry really liked Myrna Culbreath, so maybe that's part of the reason why she had Trek books published in the past, but not recently?

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood

Last edited by sbk1234; April 24 2013 at 10:04 PM.
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 07:27 PM   #33
sonak
Vice Admiral

i'm glad this thread was resurrected, as this is something I've wondered about too.

I liked "prometheus design" and "triangle," but the phoenix novels not so much. Maybe Pocket books made them take it down a notch more than Bantam did.
Old April 24 2013, 11:01 PM   #34
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I remember reading "Price" about 7 years ago, but I had a hard time telling head from tail with that story. And I remember that I did read both "New Voyages" and I really enjoyed the "Procrustean Pretard", but I don't remember either of Marshak/Culbreath' short-stories.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:35 AM   #35
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
The impression I got is ROddenberry really liked Myrna Culbreath, so maybe that's part of the reason why she had Trek books published in the past, but not recently?
Myrna Culbreath is 74 years old now. She and Sondra Marshak published educational games based on phonics after their stint with Star Trek fandom.

Joan Winston, who wrote the chapters of visiting the TOS set in "Star Trek Lives!", passed away a few years ago.

sonak wrote: View Post
I liked "prometheus design" and "triangle," but the phoenix novels not so much. Maybe Pocket books made them take it down a notch more than Bantam did.
It's my understanding that blackmarket K/S "bonus chapters" for all four of their ST novels were available in the "slash" fanfic circles.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:46 PM   #36
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

As weird as this sounds, I've wanted to read a third Phoenix novel for years. I'd love to see Picard throw down with Omne.

And, even weirder, I keep getting an Omne vibe from Benedict Cumberbatch in the Star Trek Into Darkness trailers.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:13 PM   #37
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Will Ben Cumberbatch be able to beat the jungle out of Chris Pine?
Old April 25 2013, 04:37 PM   #38
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Will Ben Cumberbatch be able to beat the jungle out of Chris Pine?
Only if he can do it while running down a corridor with a Chris Pine under each arm. Pursued by Spock. And the Female Romulan Commander.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:45 PM   #39
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Those books were bizarre. Even by 70's fanfic standards.
Old April 25 2013, 07:24 PM   #40
Garrovick
Commander

I've re-read all 4 Marshak and Culbreath novels within the past 12 months after originally reading them in the 1980s - there were some interesting basic ideas in them, but man were they buried under a mountain of bad writing. I personally just loathe the K/S stuff to begin with, and there were just pages after pages after pages of boring conversations that were just mind-numbing to read. Plus, Omne was such a ridiculously cartoonish overpowered villain - I kept expecting to find that he needed to consume the life energies of various planets for sustenance. There has only been one Treklit novel that I just couldn't make myself finish (Pawns and Symbols), but those books came close.

I do maintain, though, that there were the kernels of good stories in their basic concept - A better writer could probably do quite a bit with them.
Old April 25 2013, 09:05 PM   #41
sonak
Vice Admiral

Garrovick wrote: View Post
I've re-read all 4 Marshak and Culbreath novels within the past 12 months after originally reading them in the 1980s - there were some interesting basic ideas in them, but man were they buried under a mountain of bad writing. I personally just loathe the K/S stuff to begin with, and there were just pages after pages after pages of boring conversations that were just mind-numbing to read. Plus, Omne was such a ridiculously cartoonish overpowered villain - I kept expecting to find that he needed to consume the life energies of various planets for sustenance. There has only been one Treklit novel that I just couldn't make myself finish (Pawns and Symbols), but those books came close.

I do maintain, though, that there were the kernels of good stories in their basic concept - A better writer could probably do quite a bit with them.

Hey! I didn't care for "pawns and symbols" either. High five
Old April 25 2013, 10:11 PM   #42
Reanok
Commodore

I read the phoenix novels years ago .A friend warned me they were badly written Startrek books they weren't kidding I didn't like them at all. I got rid of them as soon as I finished reading both books.To a used book store.I never wanted to read these books ever again once was more than enough for me.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:15 PM   #43
Use of Time
Commodore

Thought most of their stuff was a convoluted mess.

Last edited by Use of Time; April 25 2013 at 11:43 PM.
Use of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:22 PM   #44
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Thought most of their stuff was an convoluted mess.
At best.
Old April 26 2013, 12:03 AM   #45
diankra
Commodore

The Phoenix novels worked for me when I read them around 1986, as a new take on Trek (like the first couple of Diane Carey novels). Triangle and Prometheus Design were major league chores to get through, but back then written Trek/Who/whatever was so rare you didn't give up on what was out there however awful.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote