Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 24 2013, 01:50 AM   #136
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

"How do we disarm the bomb?"

<me yelling at screen> "REMOVE THE PENDANT YOU MORONS!"
Old April 24 2013, 02:49 AM   #137
tighr
Commodore

They spent 10 episodes (over what I assume was several months) going from Chicago to Philadelphia, which is about 800 miles. They spent 10 minutes going from Philadelphia to Atlanta, which is also about 800 miles.

The nuclear bomb subplot should have lasted until the rest of the season. Terrible writing on their part that it's over in a single week. Not to mention the Georgia Federation is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than the Monroe Republic. It's obvious that conditions are so shitty in Monrovia because Monroe is a dick and keeps the peasants down.
Old April 24 2013, 03:21 AM   #138
UssGlenn
Captain

So, this has nothing to do with the plot of the last episode, just an observation. The Georgia Federation's border with Texas is the Mississippi River. If you look at the map it goes straight south instead of taking a hard right towards New Orleans. This is completely correct, the river wants to naturally flow the shortest distance possible to the gulf, we are currently artificially keeping it on it's current course. Without the Corps of Engineers, it would eventually reroute to the Atchafalaya River.
Old April 24 2013, 05:35 AM   #139
JD
Admiral

I really liked this episode. I thought we got some really good character moments, and some more interesting background on Miles. I thought the Georgia Republic was cool, and I liked Pres. Foster. I really don't see what's so bad about her? I liked getting a chance to see what things are like outside of the MR. It was interesting seeing what a richer more prosperous part of the world is like. I wonder if we'll ever get to see Texas or California?
The Rachel and Aaron story was pretty interesting too, although even I will admit that the whole thing with the nanites curing cancer was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. But I'm still willing to just accept it and move on. Although all they said was that she was going to die without them, so maybe they just somehow are keeping the cancer cells under control without actually destroying them. At this point I'm kind of hoping they don't try to explain anything about how the nanites work, because if they just keep things vague like they are now they can have them do pretty much whatever they want without trying to squeeze them into a specific set of rules.
Old April 24 2013, 07:42 AM   #140
sojourner
Vice Admiral

She'll die because without the nanites to kill the cancer cells and keep them in check, it will kill her.
Old April 24 2013, 12:43 PM   #141
Morpheus 02
Commodore

I hope they kill off the Monroe character, because quite frankly, he's boring.

Neville would be FAAAAR more interesting as the leader. Just scratch off the one line, and you have the N symbol...The Neville Republic...
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:39 PM   #142
SG-17
Commodore

I noticed that the American flag was being flown alongside the Georgia Federation flag in some scenes.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:46 PM   #143
FreezeC77
Commodore

SG-17 wrote: View Post
I noticed that the American flag was being flown alongside the Georgia Federation flag in some scenes.
Surprised it wasn't the Confederate flag... Miles did mention plantations have come back into vogue.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:20 PM   #144
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^There was a confederate flag in the outpost where they got the uniforms.
Old April 25 2013, 12:49 AM   #145
Lyon_Wonder
Commander

tighr wrote: View Post
They spent 10 episodes (over what I assume was several months) going from Chicago to Philadelphia, which is about 800 miles. They spent 10 minutes going from Philadelphia to Atlanta, which is also about 800 miles.

The nuclear bomb subplot should have lasted until the rest of the season. Terrible writing on their part that it's over in a single week. Not to mention the Georgia Federation is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than the Monroe Republic. It's obvious that conditions are so shitty in Monrovia because Monroe is a dick and keeps the peasants down.
I suppose at some point off-screen Miles, Charlie and Nora could have hitched a ride on a steam-powered passenger bus or even a steam passenger train. Assuming that, unlike the Monroe Republic, the Georgia Federation has an organized intercity steam bus and train transit system for civilian passenger travel.
Lyon_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 12:53 AM   #146
UssGlenn
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
She'll die because without the nanites to kill the cancer cells and keep them in check, it will kill her.
That's what they think but really, how could they know that for sure? If the nanites work at all faster than the cancer cells reproduce eventually a person would be cured, and they have had 15 years to work on her. Do they still have a way to check that she's still got cancer? The only way I can see it working as they describe is if they kill the cancer cells slower than new ones can grow, but just barely, then the cancer slows to a crawl. It can't be 1 to 1 that's too much of a coincidence, and no one would program them to go at that rate.

sojourner wrote: View Post
^There was a confederate flag in the outpost where they got the uniforms.
I thought that was the The Georgia Fed flag on the wall, it looks like half a Confederate flag,
Old April 25 2013, 01:17 AM   #147
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
So, this has nothing to do with the plot of the last episode, just an observation. The Georgia Federation's border with Texas is the Mississippi River. If you look at the map it goes straight south instead of taking a hard right towards New Orleans. This is completely correct, the river wants to naturally flow the shortest distance possible to the gulf, we are currently artificially keeping it on it's current course. Without the Corps of Engineers, it would eventually reroute to the Atchafalaya River.
John McPhee's The Control of Nature has a great section about this topic!
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 12:53 PM   #148
EmoBorg
Captain

Georgia Federation uses steampunk technology for their vehicles while the Monroe Republic is the North American version of a third world dictatorship who got nukes. Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySo7-zkprNo
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:56 PM   #149
Marten
Captain

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Georgia Federation uses steampunk technology for their vehicles while the Monroe Republic is the North American version of a third world dictatorship who got nukes. Interesting.
They are basically North Korea, then.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:34 PM   #150
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I'm starting to really tire of this show. The characters are all rather annoying and written as rather, well, dumb. The only person I'm really interested in right now is Aaron but he's been regulated to the background as occasional comic relief, because, you know, the fat guy can only be laughed at. It's too bad the doctor kicked the bucket so soon into the series, because she was far more interesting and likable than Mom, Miles or SuperGirl.