Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24 2013, 04:54 PM   #196
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
And he also aptly pointed out that at least in TOS they went so far as to apply bronze makeup to Montalban.
Perhaps by 1982 that was perceived as a little too much like doing blackface? Or maybe not; it was a year or two later that Cameron was painting Jenette Goldstein into "Vasquez."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:58 PM   #197
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I don't know, it didn't really look good in the 60s at least. Is there a story for why they didn't do it for TWOK?

I thought Goldstein's was done very well and that she played the part very well. Was there a hubbub over that?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:03 PM   #198
Captrek
Rear Admiral

CTarnak wrote: View Post
· Uhura can speak Klingon fluently when she can't in ST6 (I know, new timeline, whatevs).
NOMAD.

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
Nowadays, we have Spock proclaiming that supernovas can destroy whole galaxies. We have transporters that only require a quick firmware update to achieve limitless range. And no idea of what rank means, either. Kirk is insubordinate, commandeers the ship, gets to be captain on a technicality? Bah - he destroyed that evil Romulan, so let's have this heroic Cadet skip the ranks of Ensign, Lieutenant j.g., Lieutenant, Lieutenant Commander and Commander altogether and make him Captain. And while we're at it, let's not give him some science vessel, let him have the flagship of the Federation. That's not Trek, that's "Marvel's Kirk & Spock".
This reminds me of my reaction to the premier of TNG. We had the android, the empath, the über genius and the guy with amazing visual abilities. I thought, "That's not Star Trek, that's the X-Men." I had no idea that the captain was Professor X himself!

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
Where has JJ said that as long as he's doing Trek, no one else will?
Nowhere, as far as I remember.
Unless one counts LeVar Burton, who allegedly has been hearing such things from Abrams' camp.
It sounds like somebody's polite excuse for rejecting a lousy pitch.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:05 PM   #199
marksound
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Montalban wasn't very "brown". Nor Indian.

Persis Khambatta was from India. And not "brown".
As sttngfan1701d said though, there's a difference between the olive color and pasty white. And he also aptly pointed out that at least in TOS they went so far as to apply bronze makeup to Montalban. Why did they go to that effort? It's because they were going for the traditional Sikh ruler look, which is typically a darker skin tone, definitely not pasty, not white, perhaps not olive, but at least bronze.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Requiring Khan to be a brown skinned man with a certain accent just because he's from a certain part of the world is just a little bit ... what's the word I'm looking for here? ... oh, yeah. Racist.
I'm afraid you don't at all know what racism is. You should perhaps try and look it up. While you're educating yourself, maybe take a look at prominent political positions of India and those of Sikhs, and then come back to me and laughingly assert that such a person should be pasty white.
I don't have to look it up because I already know what it means. I also know that it's thrown around way too often, even here on the BBS. Illustrating absurdity by being absurd is a time honored tradition where I come from.

I also said in another post that I'm amused by the supposedly enlightened Trek fans who get all twisted out of shape when things aren't exactly 'the way they're supposed to be'.

But hey, it's always fun being talked down to. Thanks for playing, and here's your lovely parting gift.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:12 PM   #200
Borgminister

More like a farting gift.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:14 PM   #201
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Let's just hope he doesn't part too wide.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:37 PM   #202
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I also said in another post that I'm amused by the supposedly enlightened Trek fans who get all twisted out of shape when things aren't exactly 'the way they're supposed to be'.
Never said I was enlightened. I just pointed out a simple truth, not an absurdity, and certainly not deserving of a claim of racism. I don't appreciate it.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:43 PM   #203
marksound
Fleet Captain

Never said I was enlightened. I just pointed out a simple truth, not an absurdity, and certainly not deserving of a claim of racism. I don't appreciate it.
And I never called anyone by name, nor did I quote any one specific post.

Nice talkin' to ya though.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:07 PM   #204
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

So how about that STiD, eh?
Old April 24 2013, 06:11 PM   #205
topas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mach5 wrote: View Post
So how about that STiD, eh?
The new japanese trailer has a different San Franciso than the previous ones did.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9687/differencee.jpg
topas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:17 PM   #206
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
It could be explained also by Section 31, if they had further enhanced his genetics.
It's an alternate universe from the get go, even before the Kelvin incident. That's one easy way to solve everyone's issues with canon. The Abramsverse is one of endless multiverses (like the ones hinted at in TNG's Parallels). Easy solution.
Here's an even easier one - these are stories. One group of people told the first version, now another group of people are telling a different version. All of this tail-chasing about universes is tiresome. Why does this matter to anyone?
Old April 24 2013, 06:23 PM   #207
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Why does this matter to anyone?
Because some people depend on the illusion that ST universe is real.
Old April 24 2013, 06:26 PM   #208
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Why does this matter to anyone?
Because some people depend on the illusion that ST universe is real.
Quoted for Truth.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:36 PM   #209
Deck 1 - Bridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does Khan live?

I'd suggest this movie is a positioner for the 3rd movie.

On another, somewhat more predictable note, perhaps people should see the movie first before bowling in with opinions based on the views of the 6 people who did see it. I expected spoilers but not the misinformed diatribes rolling through this thread. It's so depressing to see this.

This is how it is now, how Trek was didn't work in the final analysis because of things like Insurrection and Nemesis. That's just the reality of the movie business I guess.
Deck 1 - Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:38 PM   #210
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Shon T'Hara wrote: View Post
There aren't a lot of starring roles for Indian actors in Hollywood. This was one of them.
The part's never been played by an Indian actor or by an actor who resembled an Indian.
Charlie Chan was played by white guys but that doesn't mean Hollywood should make a modern Charlie Chan movie and cast Cumberbatch in the role.

Khan in Space Seed was presented as an Indian even if the producers didn't bother to cast an Indian actor -- that was par for the course back then, but that was the same era that gave us Mickey Rooney playing a Japanese man in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Society has moved on since then, and whitewashing is no longer acceptable.
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote