Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 23 2013, 12:40 AM   #91
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Best female Star Trek Cast?

Captain Kathryn it's at the end of the sixth season and is a truly terrible episode. And I love the Ferengi with all my heart. It would have to be in my top 5 most disliked eps (of which I can only think of 3, that's how stupidly generous I am with Star Trek).

Still, don't skip it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:52 AM   #92
Third Nacelle
Captain

Well it's mostly terrible, but worth it just to hear the Slug-O-Cola slogan.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:54 AM   #93
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

teacake wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn it's at the end of the sixth season and is a truly terrible episode. And I love the Ferengi with all my heart. It would have to be in my top 5 most disliked eps (of which I can only think of 3, that's how stupidly generous I am with Star Trek).

Still, don't skip it.
I don't skip episodes anyway, but especially not Quark with woman boobage.
Old April 23 2013, 01:09 AM   #94
teacake
Admiral

It's like some intensely embarrassing sitcom. All the humour hinges on gender cliches.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 23 2013, 01:30 AM   #95
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Janeway and Seven were great. B'elana I loved in the first season but they never really took her anywhere interesting after Dreadnought. And I did like Kes.

Unfortunately in Star Trek there isn't much competition insofar as female casts go. TOS? Psh. TNG? They could barely get actresses to stay on the show. Enterprise? T'Pol is good, Sato had her moments in the later seasons but was used terribly at the start and barely in general. DS9's the only real competition. I might go with DS9 just cause I really like Kira and I think they just had a better grasp on how to combine femininity with toughness.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:39 AM   #96
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Profit and Lace... ugh.. there are so many cringe moments in that episode it's painful to even think about.
Old April 23 2013, 02:02 AM   #97
Melakon
Vice Admiral

If it's worth anything, Armin himself hated the script.
Old April 23 2013, 11:27 AM   #98
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

best actress? Nana Visitor as Kira, no contest. She was given a great role and completely made it her own. Such a traumatized character, with so many levels to her. Just watch her in "Second Skin" or "Duet". 24-carat gold performance.

Second up has to be Louise Fletcher as Winn. Deliciously hateful.

I agree that on the whole, despite the much quoted total gender equality, Trek often doesn't seem to know what to do with its female characters.
In the original series, they were basically just there as eye-candy. I mean those mini-mini skirts? on duty? really? The only job you do in that kind of outfit is streetwalking.
TNG still had a bad hangover from the first series in that respect.
In DS9 the female characters finally grew up. Better writing, hence scope for better acting.

But with 7 of 9 we're back to the general Barbie doll scheme, looks-wise. I can guess what the scriptwriters were thinking: what's the wet dream of every computer nerd? oh yeah - a Borg with boobs!!
Even with Kira they had to stick her in something as close to a catsuit as they could get, after starting the character off in the more sensible-looking two-piece uniform that in my opinion looked a lot better. It's not that I don't love to see a bit of figure in a good-looking woman - but I like to take the characters seriously. People who are meant to be professional counsellors and militia officers walking around in what are basically bodystockings - it just doesn't give the right impression.
Old April 23 2013, 12:22 PM   #99
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
DS9's the only real competition. I might go with DS9 just cause I really like Kira and I think they just had a better grasp on how to combine femininity with toughness.
DS9 did have the best female cast. Kira had a great arc through the series and has to be the most kick-ass character in Trek.

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
best actress? Nana Visitor as Kira, no contest. She was given a great role and completely made it her own. Such a traumatized character, with so many levels to her. Just watch her in "Second Skin" or "Duet". 24-carat gold performance.
Kira was a great character and Ms Visitor was brilliant in bringing her to life. Those episodes just show how damn good she was, dealing with her own personal struggle after the Occupation.

But with 7 of 9 we're back to the general Barbie doll scheme, looks-wise. I can guess what the scriptwriters were thinking: what's the wet dream of every computer nerd? oh yeah - a Borg with boobs!!
Even with Kira they had to stick her in something as close to a catsuit as they could get, after starting the character off in the more sensible-looking two-piece uniform that in my opinion looked a lot better. It's not that I don't love to see a bit of figure in a good-looking woman - but I like to take the characters seriously. People who are meant to be professional counsellors and militia officers walking around in what are basically bodystockings - it just doesn't give the right impression.
Seven's outfit never said "take me seriously as a member of the crew. Kira's S4-6 uniform was a radical departure from her original (especially how no other Bajoran wore that version), but I liked the lack of shoulderpads. It looked easier to move in and for a woman of action like Kira she kind of needs it. Her S7 colonel uniform (and hairdo) I really liked though.
Old April 23 2013, 03:20 PM   #100
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
If I was told a part of my professional job involved me having to dress up as a woman and have a lecherous troll chase after me trying to rape me, I'd hate it too.
Old April 23 2013, 05:47 PM   #101
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Second up has to be Louise Fletcher as Winn. Deliciously hateful.

I agree that on the whole, despite the much quoted total gender equality, Trek often doesn't seem to know what to do with its female characters.
In the original series, they were basically just there as eye-candy. I mean those mini-mini skirts? on duty? really? The only job you do in that kind of outfit is streetwalking.
TNG still had a bad hangover from the first series in that respect.
In DS9 the female characters finally grew up. Better writing, hence scope for better acting.

Kira is one of my favorite Star Trek characters too. I really like "Duet". great episode. I Haven't watched "Second Skin" yet.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:37 PM   #102
teacake
Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
If I was told a part of my professional job involved me having to dress up as a woman and have a lecherous troll chase after me trying to rape me, I'd hate it too.
I would do it to be on Star Trek.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 24 2013, 10:27 AM   #103
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I would do it to be on Star Trek.
You want to be the lech chasing Mulgrew, don't you?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 10:54 AM   #104
teacake
Admiral

Will I actually at some point have her in my grasp?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 24 2013, 10:58 AM   #105
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

It plays out like a Pepe Le Pew episode.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote