Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 24 2013, 03:23 AM   #166
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: STID: The 前ther' Starship / [Spoiler]

Maybe Harrison built it in the same secret base as the Scimitar?
Old April 24 2013, 03:24 AM   #167
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Phily B wrote: View Post
I don't like it, it looks way too much like a TNG ship...
It's very, very clearly a John Eaves design, right down to the Sovereign-class styled escape pods on the oval saucer. It feels out-of-place in the Ryan Church destined JJ Trek timeline. Maybe that's the point, what with it being a black ops ship, but it would have been nice if they hadn't repeated so many motifs from the TNG films and DS9.
Old April 24 2013, 03:30 AM   #168
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I wonder if the saucer ring separates

-Chris
Old April 24 2013, 03:32 AM   #169
TOSTNGDS9VOYENT
Lieutenant Commander

I agree that Starfleet design would have changed after the Kelvin incident, but does something like the Vengeance really fit with the era? Here we have a redesigned Enterprise, that though some don't like it, still carries the overall TOS style. And the rest of the fleet still have the Pre-TOS style. It makes sense that technology has advanced and I can even believe the size changes, but to jump from the nice lines of the TOS era ships to the almost 25th century designs just seems a bit much. The Vengeance feels like a ship designed for the STAR TREK ONLINE game.
Old April 24 2013, 04:22 AM   #170
Lynn Minmay
Captain

Looks massive but I hope the starship action is good.
Old April 24 2013, 05:20 AM   #171
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Blech...
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:24 AM   #172
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Very cool detail. It seems like a "stealth" Starfleet ship, which would make sense for a black-ops vessel. Nice TMP refit-inspired nacelles, too. I wonder what the "jar" in the middle of the saucer is -- is this a sensor, or the bridge with a wrap-around screen? If you look at the bridge picture with JJ standing in the foreground, it seems likely that that's what we're looking at (when I was a kid XX years ago, I actually imagined something like this).

I haven't been this excited about a new starship design since Excelsior's introduction.

Anyone willing to do a scale estimate on the size of this thing? (to prove it's about 800m long? )

Last edited by WarpFactorZ; April 24 2013 at 06:55 AM.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 06:52 AM   #173
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Does a stealth starship really make any sense? How can it be stealth? Cloaking devices are a no no, but I doubt that'd stop S31. Maybe it's like the Normandy from ME.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:25 AM   #174
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

TOSTNGDS9VOYENT wrote: View Post
They seem to be jumping ahead of themselves here. The Vengeance looks more like a 24th century ship. More like a Dreadnought Sovereign class variant.
Rememeber that scans of Nero's 24th century ship and weapons have been around for 25 years. One year prior to Into Darkness, an advanced Vulcan ship was spotted above the Earth, and left Nero's drill weapon in San Francisco bay. Scanning both ships as they lept to warp probably gave them some ideas about how warp fields are arranged in 2387. Apply that info to Starfleet designs and you end up with bastard child nacelles of a refit-Constitution and a Sovereign.

Meanwhile, they seem to have given up on the TOS era design style. Enterprise, even though its been restyled, still holds the TOS feel with the external Deflector dish, the rotating Bussard Collectors, etc etc. The rest of the fleet is still of the Kelvin era design.

Now JJ has Starfleet fielding huge ships with much later styling design. What does this mean for a third movie? They redesign the fleet to look like Vengeance variants? And so what do you get in the alternate 24th century, Enterprise J designs?
I haven't seen the movie nor even read the spoilers, but my impression is that the Vengeance is an aberration which will never be the norm for Starfleet.

Add in the real-world stuff: It had to look eeeeevil. Many of John Eaves' STO designs look absolutely monsterous. I think he was a good choice to design the manifestation of Starfleet's descent... Into Darkness! *thunderclap*
Old April 24 2013, 09:30 AM   #175
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Anyone willing to do a scale estimate on the size of this thing? (to prove it's about 800m long? )
When it crashes in the trailers, that saucer is enourmous.

It looks one deck thick at the rim, about ten in the centre hollow. Windows the same size as those on the Enterprise saucer rim and bridge. If the OP is right (and the scene where it drops put of warp backs this up), it's twice the size of the Enterprise - 1450 metres long.
Old April 24 2013, 10:56 AM   #176
Stoo
Captain

Hmm. Is the "clearly superior enemy megaship" trope being over-used? I mean, it's a pretty simple and effective way of giving a sense of threat, just, this is the third movie in a row to use it.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:38 PM   #177
calamity_si
Lieutenant Commander

I really think this ship I designed a while back looks a lot like this. Perhaps a bit smoother and with a filled in saucer but definately similar.
Old April 24 2013, 03:34 PM   #178
topas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

calamity_si wrote: View Post
(...)this ship I designed a while back(...)
Quite in line with the original design politics. Looks like if the Excelsior and Oberth had a baby
topas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 08:06 PM   #179
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

calamity_si wrote: View Post
I really think this ship I designed a while back looks a lot like this. Perhaps a bit smoother and with a filled in saucer but definately similar.
The big difference between the Vengeance and previous ships seems to be the secondary hull (which I admit is the one part of it, I'm not really a fan of). On other ships like the Enterprise and Excelsior (as well as the ship in the picture), the top side of the secondary hull remains relatively flat while the bottom end kind of tapers upwards before leveling off. It was a really graceful design. On the Vengeance, the whole things looks more like...

Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 08:40 PM   #180
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Stoo wrote: View Post
Hmm. Is the "clearly superior enemy megaship" trope being over-used? I mean, it's a pretty simple and effective way of giving a sense of threat, just, this is the third movie in a row to use it.
A while back, I started a thread asking the question of whether the villain would have another super ship. I guess I was right. It is becoming an overused trope.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote