RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 615
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 28 2012, 03:57 AM   #31
arch101
Fleet Captain

Re: The changes in the Enterprise-D bridge in Generations...

I agree with the above poster that the added stations and extras to man them would probably have been done during the series if there had been money available for the extras.
As for elevating the command chairs and giving Worf a seat, that was done to get everyone to fit into the 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio. The set was designed for essentially a square TV format so the actors positions had to be compressed a bit to fit a rectangular frame for long shots towards the rear of the set.
The much improved dramatic lighting was partially to hide set flaws (they were designed for lower-resolution TV), and partially because the sets would have been much too light when exposed on film. Notice how much better the uniform colors look and how much darker the blacks in the costumes are in the film when compared to the TV show. I'll bet that on the show they would have liked to light sets more like the film but they would have looked murky and TOO dark on a small TV screen. On film, with a big theater screen, you can see so much more detail that dramatic lighting like that is possible.
Old May 28 2012, 06:28 AM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

arch101 wrote: View Post
The much improved dramatic lighting was partially to hide set flaws
Can't help but wonder if there was also the consideration of hiding flaws in the appearance of the actors themselves, given the size of the theater screen and close ups?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 01:03 PM   #33
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I wonder what set flaws were actually there that we could not see? I know that the DS9, Voyager and Enterprise sets were built to cinematic standards. I'm just curious what that means at a practical level. After all, most of the TNG sets were just retrofits of the sets for the TOS films...and some were actually used in V and VI.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 01:33 PM   #34
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I loved the new features on the E-D Bridge. For such a big starship, with over 1000 people onboard, the flagship of the Federation, the bridge only had a maximum capacity of 11 (13 if you include the small benches next to Riker and Troi)? That always seemed odd to me. The new consoles made it look busier and not so disjointed (our heroes are at the front whilst nameless extras can just be seen in the far background, the GEN Bridge brought them forward into the action).

Worf getting a seat made a lot of sense, and rising the command arena up also gave them a little bit more importance.

As for what the new consoles did, I believe the port side was science and starboard was communications (or is it the other way round?).
Old May 28 2012, 02:19 PM   #35
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Notice how much better the uniform colors look and how much darker the blacks in the costumes are in the film when compared to the TV show.
I take it you haven't seen TNG in HD yet?
Old May 28 2012, 03:54 PM   #36
Uxi
Lieutenant Commander

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
(I'd always just ammued that they were supposed to have been there from the start and that the Early engineering set in the Pilot was just a work in progress. I don't think that they had originally planned to spend much time there anyway, so the early set was pretty bare)
I remember being surprised they didn't have a chief engineer as a regular cast member, as well, which fits with that idea. LeVar Burton should have done that from the beginning. The amusing Blind Navigator jokes aside.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I liked the changes. I thought it worked well for the big screen and gave the bridge more a sense of depth and being a busy command center.
Agreed.
Old May 29 2012, 01:18 AM   #37
arch101
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Notice how much better the uniform colors look and how much darker the blacks in the costumes are in the film when compared to the TV show.
I take it you haven't seen TNG in HD yet?
Bly Ray is a 2013 purchase for me. I look forward to seeing it, though.
Old May 29 2012, 03:39 AM   #38
Tiberius
Commodore

I wonder what set flaws were actually there that we could not see? I know that the DS9, Voyager and Enterprise sets were built to cinematic standards. I'm just curious what that means at a practical level. After all, most of the TNG sets were just retrofits of the sets for the TOS films...and some were actually used in V and VI.
I've just finished watching the entire series again and I've noticed that in a few episodes you can tell that the doors and walls are just painted wood.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:23 AM   #39
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

From a cinematic perspective it made perfect sense. The original TV bridge was built with a 4:3 aspect ratio, while the movie bridge needed to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio. Had they kept the original bridge for the movie, then everything would be bunched up in the center, and if they had to zoom in to the captain (removing the side station additions), then Worf would be cut off.

From a practical perspective, I though the changes made sense as well. This was an explorer type vessel, with the the likelihood of multiple first contact missions. In the past, Worf served double duty as Security Officer and as someone who handles hailing. In complicated situations a stations devoted to communications would be necessary. Additionally, it would be one of those stations where line of sight with both the captain and view screen would be necessary. This should also apply for science stations, as experiments in outer space would be better viewed on screen. Having a station in the back and turning around to view the view screen or talk to the captain is not very economical. Putting something like Engineering, Environmental Controls, and axillary stations in the back will make more sense overall because they do not need direct view of the view screen.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 03:14 PM   #40
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I've just finished watching the entire series again and I've noticed that in a few episodes you can tell that the doors and walls are just painted wood.
Paint and wood--the basic components of every Star Trek bridge set from TOS to Star Trek XII.
Old April 23 2013, 11:56 PM   #41
Flake
Commodore

Pretty sure they wanted to put the stations on the sides of the bridge from Day 1 but it was Gene who said no.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:31 AM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post
Pretty sure they wanted to put the stations on the sides of the bridge from Day 1 but it was Gene who said no.
It was the budget that said no. But I always thought the 'fewer stations/less cluttered' look made the Enterprise-D bridge the most advanced looking of them all.
Old April 24 2013, 01:32 AM   #43
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Flake wrote: View Post
It was either Gene or Bob Justman.

The problem with the extra bridge stations is that you need people to man them. That means hiring non-speaking extras to stand around and look busy during shots. That costs the production money. So the bridge side stations were nixed as a money-saving move.

That's why I think it was a Bob Justman move.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:49 AM   #44
trevanian
Rear Admiral

wingsabre wrote: View Post
From a cinematic perspective it made perfect sense. The original TV bridge was built with a 4:3 aspect ratio, while the movie bridge needed to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Except the movie was in 2.35:1

Thomas Doherty once wrote that submarine movies are made for widescreen, and I think the same is usually true for starships (though I'd make an exception for the DARK STAR.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:30 AM   #45
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The bridge didn't have extra stations because they didn't want a bridge full of control consoles. It was the whole "technology unchained" idea: with all the high tech, you don't need a bunch of people sitting at stations all day. The rear stations were they for the odd times they wanted/needed them. It wasn't a matter of money, 4x3 considerations or whatever else you want to invent.

And you don't need a wide set to shoot widescreen, you just have to know how to frame a shot.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote