TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24 2013, 02:13 AM   #121
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No explanation for Khan's appearance is offered in the film, any more than an explanation for Kirk being a blue-eyed fellow who doesn't look much like William Shatner was offered in ST 2009.
But does he say his name is Khan or Khan Noonien Singh?

I mean, I won't lose sleep over it either but it is disappointing. There are so many Indian actors that are perfect for the badass tyrant role, and we get Captain Britishguy WhiteMan?

They could've at least looked at guys like Sunil Shetty (my personal choice), Arjun Rampal, John Abraham, Abhishek Bachchan, Aamir Khan...
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 02:14 AM   #122
stargirl
Fleet Captain

I sort of skimmed through this thread with my hands over my eyes, I don't really want to know specific plot details (I appreciate everyone using the spoiler tags!) but I do really want to know just one thing, for sure, from someone who has actually seen the movie: Is Cumberbatch Khan? I know its been answered here but I'm not totally sure if its just via the imdb thread or by hearsay or whatever, and I don't want to click on any of the spoiler thingys in case the ending or plot points are revealed. If he is I'm going to need time to prepare myself for all the hate on other parts of the internet that decision will get (people have been angry about the possibility since rumours first started, due to whitewashing etc). If someone who has themselves seen the movie could answer just that one question I would really, really appreciate it! Thanks
stargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:28 AM   #123
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
No explanation for Khan's appearance is offered in the film, any more than an explanation for Kirk being a blue-eyed fellow who doesn't look much like William Shatner was offered in ST 2009.
He evidently identifies himself as "Khan;" Spock Prime refers to "Khan Noonian Singh."

Which, BTW, is consistent with the way he withheld his full identity in "Space Seed."

KHAN: Khan is my name.

KIRK: Khan--nothing else?

KHAN: Khan.

I mean, I won't lose sleep over it either but it is disappointing. There are so many Indian actors that are perfect for the badass tyrant role, and we get Captain Britishguy WhiteMan?
Well, he was never positively identified as Indian to begin with. McGivers said "From the northern India area, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh." She was an historian, not an ethnologist. My impression was that he was Mexican.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:46 AM   #124
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Ok, so I have had some time to reflect on this, the whole time leading up to the reveal I was hoping that he wouldn't be Khan. I wanted the writers to do their own thing. But I was ok with Benedict being Khan, but then in the last 3rd of the movie the writers took a wrong turn.

Again I say, I loved the 2009 movie, the franchise needed to be reset. So then the writers should embrace this freedom and do their own thing. But instead they find themselves re-doing scenes from previous movies (Did they really think the new scenes could top the old ones?) even to the point of recycling dialogue from previous trek films.

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:54 AM   #125
aeriolewinters
Lieutenant

even to the point of recycling dialogue from previous trek films.
I think that this is the point of the realms of "Destiny" that the whole movie series is all about. Yes this is an Alternate Universe, but the underlying theme is that Destiny will always find you, no matter how much work you do to alter it.

These scenes I guess are better enjoyed by the casual fans, then a more learned fan can tell them to watch WoK to further appreciate it.
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:00 AM   #126
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They probably are giving consideration to the fact that most people who will see this movie have never seen the original versions of the scenes in earlier Trek films, and are counting on most of the long-time fans to be charmed by the references (and doubtless are aware that some percentage will compare and complain as well).
Old April 24 2013, 04:15 AM   #127
yenny
Captain

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
He evidently identifies himself as "Khan;" Spock Prime refers to "Khan Noonian Singh."

Which, BTW, is consistent with the way he withheld his full identity in "Space Seed."

KHAN: Khan is my name.

KIRK: Khan--nothing else?

KHAN: Khan.
Well, he was never positively identified as Indian to begin with. McGivers said "From the northern India area, I'd guess. Probably a Sikh." She was an historian, not an ethnologist. My impression was that he was Mexican.
The surname Singh is from manly the India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh area. Khan was more likely a High Prince. Which is one of the meanings for Khan.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:32 AM   #128
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That's nice.

My surname is Irish. I've never been to Ireland nor has anyone on either side of my family for three generations back - and most of my ancestry is in fact German and English.

Names tell you less and less as modern history goes on.
Old April 24 2013, 04:32 AM   #129
Gsam
Lieutenant

I'm thinking this is going to be an unpopular opinion. But I think J.J. and gang were attempting to pay homage to TOS..a shout out if you will. I don't think they meant it in a malicious way or anything.

Maybe because I treat TOS and AOS has two totally separate, unrelated events, I am able to feel this way. I know that a bunch of you will be commenting on how this is not possible and then list all the reasons why. I watched TOS on its first run back in the 60's and am not in the least offended by J.J.'s version of events. He made a movie about hope, and how people come through a terrible ordeal/event and become a family and see all sides of a person and still love them.

I just think some people had their minds made up that anything but Roddenberry's trek is not trek..(everybody is entitled to their beliefs) so no matter what J.J. or anyone else did they wouldn't be happy.

That Trek ( for good or bad) is never coming back and if you don't care for the new trek then that is okay too...but really you should open your minds to change..because it is here..has been here...time to remember but move on.

I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this..I just felt like it is the elephant in the room and someone needed to say something.
Gsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:53 AM   #130
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Gsam wrote: View Post
I'm thinking this is going to be an unpopular opinion. But I think J.J. and gang were attempting to pay homage to TOS..a shout out if you will. I don't think they meant it in a malicious way or anything.
JJ and gang paid endless homage to TOS in the first movie. It was clear to see that. So, it's probably no surprise they do it in this one too. Personally, I can accept the idea that Spock warned them to intercept the Botany Bay as a way of preventing a potential hazard. But along those lines: was Khan the *worst* thing he warned them about? Doomsday Machine? Whale probe? Borg? etc...

Anyway, I only partially spoiled myself with this thread. I'm sufficiently happy with how this sounds like it's going.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:01 AM   #131
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's not clear from the leaked stuff that Spock Prime gave them information about the Botany Bay - in fact, when Spock contacts Spock Prime late in the movie to ask about Khan, it's mentioned that Prime had vowed not to reveal anything about his own universe or experiences.

It's conceivable that Marcus and company got some historical data from the Narada, I suppose.
Old April 24 2013, 05:20 AM   #132
WarpFactorZ
Captain

It's not clear from the leaked stuff that Spock Prime gave them information about the Botany Bay - in fact, when Spock contacts Spock Prime late in the movie to ask about Khan, it's mentioned that Prime had vowed not to reveal anything about his own universe or experiences.

It's conceivable that Marcus and company got some historical data from the Narada, I suppose.
I guess this makes more sense. I would guess Adm. Marcus was involved from the beginning in some fashion.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:22 AM   #133
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

That's nice.

My surname is Irish. I've never been to Ireland nor has anyone on either side of my family for three generations back - and most of my ancestry is in fact German and English.

Names tell you less and less as modern history goes on.
True story. Mine is also Irish. But my father is white and my mother is Filipina. If you went by my appearance, I appear more Hispanic.
Old April 24 2013, 05:31 AM   #134
yenny
Captain

There would be 4 possibility in how they had gotten the information about Khan.
1: Is what you had stated.
2: They got it off the Klingons.
3: They found a crash Federation Starship, that was accidentally thrown back in time.
4: They found another Khan, that had escape from Earth in another sleeper ship.

Last edited by yenny; April 24 2013 at 05:46 AM.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 05:40 AM   #135
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Pine generally looks like Kirk though. Saldana generally looks like Uhura. Cho like Sulu, Yelchin like Chekov, etc. Some of the characters remarkably resembled the previous versions.

And I mean, we know that they meant well and tried at least to hire someone Latino, however misguided that may be. But then they gave up and went with pale British white guy cliche. I'm sure Cumberbatch will do a great job and I'll do my best to ignore it, but why didn't they say, "Hey, this guy could be an Indian instead of a Mexican, right? We know and worked with a charismatic, attractive, athletic Indian gentlemen for years who would be perfect for the role." Couldn't they have looked to someone like Naveen Andrews who they worked very closely with on Lost and would've been great in the role? Are they afraid that someone too brown as the villain is going to cause problems and turn away viewers? Is it just better to play it safe and whitewash Khan?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote