Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 23 2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here's How to Do It: One Trekkie’s Proposal

Basically put, the author wants a gay character in the next Star Trek movie, or for Mr. Sulu to come out (or even Chekov or Scott.)

Personally, although I think that the franchise needs GLBT characters, I don't think that this movie and the next one are the best places to do it; only a TV show can pull that off and have the time to do it well enough. I also think that the writer is putting way too much on the shoulders of the production team to accomplish this, simply because it's a possibly blockbuster movie based on a popular franchise.

But that's just me; does anybody else have any thoughts about this?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Well, if you believe the novels, there's already been at least one gay character (Lt. Hawk from ST:FC).

As for how to introduce one onscreen: Just a throwaway line and that's it. Why get more complicated than it needs to be?
Old April 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I've never cared one way or the other.
Old April 23 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Here's how I would do it in a series:
-Introduce one main/recurring character and do not show his/her sexuality. Focus on establishing the character's personality and competence.
-In the second season, casually mention and show that the character is in a homosexual relationship with a minor character.
-Season 3 is the earliest point the marriage should happen and it should be a mundane affair.

Also, have gay couples in the backgrounds of scenes, like TOS did with people of color back in the day. Shoving the "accept gay/lesbian/whatever" message into people's face is more likely to backfire than change people's preconceptions.
Old April 23 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
feek61
Captain

Really, why even make a distinction? Can't they all be Starfleet members? I agree in the film franchise it may be too contrived feeling. A series is a different story.
Old April 23 2013, 11:37 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

If you're going to do that, have an actual character arc beyond "we have a token gay guy to show how politically correct we are." Otherwise it really doesn't contribute anything.
Old April 24 2013, 12:03 AM   #7
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I wonder if people think that because society has progressed it shouldn't be a big deal. But, that's just it. It's not a big deal anymore. That boat sailed long ago. They ought to have taken a crack at it in the early 90's when the issue was more contentious. Fortunately, society has evolved (notwithstanding the bigots tagging behind, of course). Unfortunately for Trek, it didn't take advantage when it was more relevant. Now, inserting a gay character simply because it hasn't previously would seem awfully tacky.
Old April 24 2013, 03:13 AM   #8
cbspock
Rear Admiral

What does it matter. So tired of this nonsense, it doesn't contribute to anything in a movie.

-Chris
Old April 24 2013, 03:15 AM   #9
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
Here's how I would do it in a series:
-Introduce one main/recurring character and do not show his/her sexuality. Focus on establishing the character's personality and competence.
-In the second season, casually mention and show that the character is in a homosexual relationship with a minor character.
-Season 3 is the earliest point the marriage should happen and it should be a mundane affair.

Also, have gay couples in the backgrounds of scenes, like TOS did with people of color back in the day. Shoving the "accept gay/lesbian/whatever" message into people's face is more likely to backfire than change people's preconceptions.
I like the first couple of points, but the last one ('Shoving the "accept gay/lesbian/whatever" message into people's face is more likely to backfire than change people's preconceptions') is wrong. GLBT people aren't doing that, they just want what they are as people to be normal without others objecting to it.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:16 AM   #10
T J
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I've never cared one way or the other.
THIS!
Old April 24 2013, 03:23 AM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Every other tv series and movie in the world manages to have gay characters now without it being complicated or a debate. This makes Star Trek creatively backward and inferior to the rest of the business, in at least this one regard.

Give Chekov a boyfriend and be done with it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:26 AM   #12
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Well, it comes off as silly on Doctor Who when they reference it in one-liners. There's already an openly gay actor playing Spock. Do they "need" to specifically reference gay characters on screen? It all depends on how it's handled I guess. Show a guy at a bar openly flirting with men/aliens/what-have you Captain Jack style like Kirk brazenly flirting with Uhura in the first film. It would be funny if handled right.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:32 AM   #13
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Well, it comes off as silly on Doctor Who when they reference it in one-liners.
No, it doesn't, except when they're being deliberately funny.

I'm sorry, do some fans even watch other movies and TV? Why is this so difficult and mysterious?

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; April 24 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:35 AM   #14
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Statistically speaking, Star Trek already has a number of gay characters. They're various members of the Enterprise crew, citizens of Earth, Vulcan, Romulus, and so on, and they serve in other areas of the Federation. You just don't know it because simply being gay isn't automatically some kind of openly telegraphed behavior, but they're there.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:06 AM   #15
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I'm really weary of this threadbare and moth eaten topic.

Frankly, if Star Trek was ever socially relevant it ceased to be so before it even made it back to TV with TNG. Many 80s sitcoms touched on more social issues than Trek did.

Effectively, the gay argument in the US is OVER. National polls show that the majority of the US populace doesn't just support gay rights, a majority now support marriage equality. These are not numbers set in amber. The acceptance of gays shifted by double-digit numbers in the past decade, and this trend shows no sign of reversing. The younger generation supports gays even more broadly, so this isn't going to change any time soon. If anything, the next generation (pun intended) is going to grow up with gay people as part of day to day life in a way they've never been before, and they're going to see it as completely normal.

In light of this, Star Trek's no longer got any excuse, any more than it would if it had a lily white cast. Fan arguments that they should "take it slow" or that "it doesn't matter" are throwbacks to a bygone age that most of the nation has already said "good riddance" to.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote