Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 24 2013, 02:37 AM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: They let me go....

Hope everything works out for you and your father Warped9.
Old April 24 2013, 03:25 AM   #17
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Best of luck, Warped9. You may not realize it now, but six months severance is unusual in most any field. Most people get no severance at all.

My best for your dad, too.
Old April 24 2013, 03:35 AM   #18
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Warped 9, did they give you a recommendation letter? often when one is laid-off, as well as providing severance, a recommendation letter is included to help ease the transition to new employment.. If not, perhaps you can contact your manager to provide you one..
every little bit helps.. And get those resumes out NOW..it only takes a few minutes to send em out via email...and it won't interfere with your father's care too much for you to do a low level job search while you digest all that's happened to you..

Good thoughts to you and your dad.. I'm pulling for you..
Old April 24 2013, 03:47 AM   #19
Warped9
Admiral

MANT! wrote: View Post
Warped 9, did they give you a recommendation letter? often when one is laid-off, as well as providing severance, a recommendation letter is included to help ease the transition to new employment.. If not, perhaps you can contact your manager to provide you one..
every little bit helps.. And get those resumes out NOW..it only takes a few minutes to send em out via email...and it won't interfere with your father's care too much for you to do a low level job search while you digest all that's happened to you..

Thank you. Part of my situation is also living in a small town. I'm not really sure what the job situation will be like. Perhaps I can look into more unconventional options rather than more common positions most everyone will go for. It might take me a few days to get my bearings I think. Tomorrow I will go to Services Canada and inquire about applying for employment insurance benefits for the interim, something I haven't done for decades.
Old April 24 2013, 03:56 AM   #20
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Warped9 wrote: View Post
MANT! wrote: View Post

Thank you. Part of my situation is also living in a small town. I'm not really sure what the job situation will be like. Perhaps I can look into more unconventional options rather than more common positions most everyone will go for. It might take me a few days to get my bearings I think. Tomorrow I will go to Services Canada and inquire about applying for employment insurance benefits for the interim, something I haven't done for decades.
Good luck with Service Canada.

There have been numerous news reports how the waiting times for EI have gone up since the last federal election.

The only thing is they may require you to wait until your severance money runs out before putting you onto EI but maybe you can at least get the process started if the need arises you can get the money straight away rather than having to wait once the severance money runs out.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 08:53 AM   #21
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I was never fond of Best Buy buying Future Shop about twelve years ago. Over the years they did seem to operate in a mostly hands-off manner, but I think trouble began to be in the offing when BB bought a lot of those (then) closed Circuit City stores in the States. After that there was the crash of '08 and BB seems to have been reeling ever since. BB of Canada started to hurt and then FS started to feel it.

It's going to be very hard to maintain decent staff morale after today particularly in a smaller store like mine and I suspect this has been happening in other stores as well.
I was one of the many laid off when Circuit City closed down in late 2008 (3 days before Christmas was the last day for my store) so I know how you feel. We found out in mid October '08 and it was just a devastating blow. I had been there for about 4 years so I can only imagine having been there for 13. The place had become a home away from home for me so it was rough to see it go.

If it helps, the job I went to after CCity closing was the place where I met my wife, and had they never gone out of business I never would have stepped foot in that store. Just something to think about if you need some optimism.
Old April 24 2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Warped9
Admiral

Yesterday was a bright and sunny and lovely Spring day and it felt good to be outside...yet the rest of the day tasted like ashes. Tomorrow rain in forecast for most of the day...yet might it be better?

I don't know.

It's going on 4:30 AM and tomorrow is a blank slate. I've never been in this position before. Not like this. I'm not sure what to do tomorrow.

The fact that six others besides me were let go yesterday tells me there is some serious shit going on at FS head office in Vancouver. My whole (former) department has been gutted. Poor planning and poor judgement have caught up with them and we're the latest victims. And all they kept were twenty year old kids and inexperienced part-timers. Morale of those remaining will be shit. Good luck to putting on a happy face for those customers coming through the door.

Last edited by Warped9; April 24 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:43 PM   #23
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The fact that six others besides me were let go yesterday tells me there is some serious shit going on at FS head office in Vancouver. My whole (former) department has been gutted. Poor planning and poor judgement have caught up with them and we're the latest victims. And all they kept were twenty year old kids and inexperienced part-timers. Morale of those remaining will be shit. Good luck to putting on a happy face for those customers coming through the door.
That's what happened at my last job. Years of missing budget targets, investing in a doomed product, failing to engage with market trends, and holding onto subpar personnel really hurt them. They (the investors) brought in a new CEO, one of the slash-and-burn types whose job it is to cut the company down to a profitable state. They canned about a third of the company through a series of RIFs, though there was one big one, and that's the one that got me.

The company really needed a lot of the people that were let go. Some were brought back as contractors. Some told the company to fuck off. Various people left on their own. Morale was very poor, as people had to pick up the slack of those who'd been released, while worrying they could be next on the chopping block.

It's been about four years, now. The new CEO is out, and one of the original founders is back in. Some of the people who'd been let go or left have gone back. They say it's not quite the same company, but they are still glad to be there.

As for myself, I worked at that company for seven years, and it was a good job to me. It gave me a lot of skills that serve me well in my current position. I moved from Indiana to New Jersey for this job, and my life has changed a lot. I can't see myself going back. Things are just too different now, and I feel like that part of my life is over and not something I should try to get back.

Losing your job after having it for a long time is indeed scary and unsettling, but if you look at it as an opportunity rather than a burden, you can really put your life in a new direction and take advantage of it.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 03:54 PM   #24
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

That really sucks Warped9. Best of luck getting back on your feet.

By the way, did you ever work with someone named Guy at your store?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:27 PM   #25
Warped9
Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
By the way, did you ever work with someone named Guy at your store?
Yes. Guy Tessier is a friend who also lives just down the street from me. I was at his place yesterday for a bit as we talked about things.
Old April 24 2013, 04:32 PM   #26
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Ha! I'm good friends with his bother Alain!
Old April 24 2013, 05:42 PM   #27
Warped9
Admiral

Ha! I'm good friends with his bother Alain!
Is Alain the one living with them for a bit now? If so then I've met him a couple of times.
Old April 24 2013, 05:50 PM   #28
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yup. He moved out there a little while ago. Small world!
Old April 24 2013, 06:36 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

Yup. He moved out there a little while ago. Small world!
Guy just messaged me about someone named Andrew calling him.
Old April 25 2013, 05:13 AM   #30
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

It's hard after so long. My husband was laid off after 31 years with his company this month. Luckily he saw it coming and had lined up another job and the timing worked out well enough for him to get severance too. He wasn't the only one let go either.

Best of luck in your job search. Hope it leads to something better!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote