RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 744
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23 2013, 10:42 PM   #91
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Thanks for the confirmation, Lapis. I knew some of those shots reminded me of the Getty Center when first I saw it, but I couldn't find the right screencap of it.

Franklin wrote: View Post
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:54 PM   #92
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:57 PM   #93
throwback
Captain

If you are going to use elements from the prime reality, at least get the elements right. Khan was a Sikh. He governed a region of territory in either Africa or Asia. Instead, we get a Caucasian. This s**t was tolerable in the past; it's less so now. And, now, if the info is correct, we have another date point for the Eugenics War, these wars occurred in the 1950s. (300 years before 2259.)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:59 PM   #94
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the confirmation, Lapis. I knew some of those shots reminded me of the Getty Center when first I saw it, but I couldn't find the right screencap of it.

Franklin wrote: View Post
Old April 23 2013, 11:03 PM   #95
thumbtack
Commodore

throwback wrote: View Post
However, from what I have read, I feel that the alternate reality universe is not equaling or exceeding the prime reality universe in the story department.
Please stop telling us that the quality of a Star Trek movie is based, primarily, on which universe it is set in.

It is clear enough now you won't be getting your canon back.
Old April 23 2013, 11:04 PM   #96
Mach5
Rear Admiral

And, now, if the info is correct, we have another date point for the Eugenics War
Only DS9 one is canon.
Old April 23 2013, 11:12 PM   #97
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

And, now, if the info is correct, we have another date point for the Eugenics War, these wars occurred in the 1950s. (300 years before 2259.)
Not really. "300 years" is probably just a generalized figure tossed out at random.

It's not like a specific year is mentioned, is it? They only do that in 'Space Seed' and TWOK. If they give a year, then that's definitive. If it's just a round number of years, it's not. That's how I look at it, anyway.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:12 PM   #98
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

If you are going to use elements from the prime reality, at least get the elements right. Khan was a Sikh. He governed a region of territory in either Africa or Asia. Instead, we get a Caucasian. This s**t was tolerable in the past; it's less so now. And, now, if the info is correct, we have another date point for the Eugenics War, these wars occurred in the 1950s. (300 years before 2259.)
Remarkably, I'm not giving a damn about this. Despite Khan being one of my faves from the old show and movies, I won't be judging this movie on how closely it follows them.

It's not as if, for example, the character was ever credibly portrayed as a Sikh anyway.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:14 PM   #99
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ That actually makes a bit of sense, since Khan was never particularly religious anyway. So they really couldn't portray him as an authentic Sikh, because Khan doesn't care about anything but power. His name may be Sikh-derived, but that's it. He doesn't observe any Sikh traditions that we're aware of. In fact he seems to go out of his way to avoid them.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old April 23 2013, 11:15 PM   #100
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Captrek wrote: View Post
That's a good possibility given where Scotty ends up after that.

Khan was played by a Mexican man who didn't look remotely Sikh. His followers were originally multi-ethnic but became Aryan supermen by the time of TWoK. The precious canon can survive a tweak here and there every now and then.

Given his genetically engineered DNA, it's possible that Khan might not look anything like what his heritage would suggest anyway.

As far as the 300 years thing goes, people tend to just round it off when you get into bigger numbers like that. It doesn't have to mean precisely 300 years.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:18 PM   #101
yenny
Captain

Procutus wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Somewhat more seriously, it's strongly implied in TWOK that Khan's lust for revenge is fueled by his helplessness to protect his people - including and especially his "beloved wife" - from the environmental disaster on Ceti Alpha V. He places the blame for that on Kirk. It sounds as if he cared very much.

I have to agree with you on that, after Joachim died in his arms on the Reliant, Khan did say 'I will avenge you."

Of course, there's the theory that's been bandied about that Joachim was supposed to be Khan's son, but the impression that I got was that he was a trusted friend and probably Khan's right-hand man.
According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia: Joachim: Aide to Khan Noonien Singh, and one of the 96 surviving genetic "supermen" who escaped from Earth in 1996 aboard the S.S. Botany Bay.
Joachim served as Khan second-in-comand when Khan commandeered the Starship Reliant and died when Khan detonated the Genesis Device.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:19 PM   #102
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Actually the character in TOS was JoaQUIN, not JoaCHIM. And it seems clear that Joachim is too young to be the same person anyway.

In the novels, Joachim is Joaquin's son; when Joaquin is killed, Khan raises the boy as his own.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old April 23 2013, 11:19 PM   #103
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Okay, I've been thinking way too much about this movie over the last few hours and I've found myself piecing together what little I know. Here's what I think happens, and I'm just going to throw it out here not having read any posts or spoilers. Just pure speculation on my part.

Here we go…
Someone found the Botany Bay, probably Admiral Marcus. Khan and his crew were then awakened, integrated into 23rd century society and given work as operatives with Section 31. Khan is given the alias "John Harrison" and a little plastic surgery. Now Marcus for whatever reeason has a change of heart about his decision and has these people killed off. Khan trusted Marcus and this new society and this is how he was repaid? This makes Khan mad and he retaliates with a terrorist attack. Kirk then goes after him not knowing that Marcus caused this anger. Somehwere along the line Carol falls for Khan. She serves as the Marla McGivers character this time around. Daddy can't be too happy about this. Anyway, Khan is stopped, but not killed, leaving room for a return. We got an original story with elements of "Space Seed" and The Wrath of Khan. Next time, we could get a follow-up with more elements of The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock.

Like I said, I know nothing. Maybe I'm onto something and maybe I'm way off. I'll know for sure in three weeks. Not gonna read any posts.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:22 PM   #104
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I'll just roll with it like the way Klingons went from their TOS appearance to their TMP appearance with no explanations. They had always looked that way. In my mind I'll just pretend Kahn always looked like Cumberbatch. Of course, the Klingon appearance got a retcon and maybe nuKahn will too someday. Until then I won't lose sleep over it.
Old April 23 2013, 11:28 PM   #105
Sky
Captain

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
I'll just roll with it like the way Klingons went from their TOS appearance to their TMP appearance with no explanations. They had always looked that way. In my mind I'll just pretend Kahn always looked like Cumberbatch. Of course, the Klingon appearance got a retcon and maybe nuKahn will too someday. Until then I won't lose sleep over it.
Yeah for me this is a non-issue. The exact looks or ethnic backgrounds don't need to match. If the actor is good, he'll make it his Khan anyway.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote