Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23 2013, 09:23 PM   #76
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Yep, it is... just got this from the Star Trek App.

Looks like I have enough now to start a model.

http://bit.ly/17OsXjn

-Ricky

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 09:24 PM   #77
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
What does any of this have to do with Robert April and the Phaedrans?
I don't think it does. I think the point of Countdown to Darkness was the fourth issue reveal that Starfleet Intelligence is rotten.
It's Section 31, isn't it? Not the same thing.
Old April 23 2013, 09:24 PM   #78
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
What does any of this have to do with Robert April and the Phaedrans?
I don't think it does. I think the point of Countdown to Darkness was the fourth issue reveal that Starfleet Intelligence is rotten.
So C2D has no connection plot-wise, just a vague thematic connection? That's not what I expected after 09's Countdown.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 09:24 PM   #79
Franklin
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Okay, you've been warned - a lengthy and somewhat disjointed synopsis of the movie from someone at IMDB.

The more I read this summary, if it's legit (as has been attested to by Legion) there really isn't anything in it other than enhancements of the trailers and other things that became public knowledge except for one or two things. Particularly --

Oh well, if it's there, it's there.
Old April 23 2013, 09:26 PM   #80
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I'm wondering...

Old April 23 2013, 09:39 PM   #81
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'm wondering...

This has bothered me, too. Especially because the major flaws in the augments (as pointed out in "Space Seed") are that they are overly aggressive and overly ambitious. They can't help it.

Old April 23 2013, 09:47 PM   #82
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Those objections depend upon personal opinions about Khan as a character. My own impression was that in his "Space Seed" incarnation Khan was a guy who cared about his 72 peoplesicles. They are, after all, the only others of his kind whom he knows to exist and they're the folks who all chose to take this rather unlikely one-way trip rather than submit to trial and...whatever back on Earth.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 09:49 PM   #83
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I suppose the other Augments would be the only people in the universe whom Khan really would care about. I'm not counting Marla McGivers in this, because we saw how he treated her in TOS. Glad she's not in STID (apparently)...
Old April 23 2013, 09:58 PM   #84
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Franklin wrote: View Post
A museum in Los Angeles was supposed to fill in for a famous "Star Trek" location. Can anyone say what that location was?
I tried looking all over for it, but it's not listed on any of the official locations, although they do list "Los Angeles" in addition to things that are already in LA. So, either they changed their mind and didn't film there since 2011 (which also happened with the jungle scenes that were supposed to be filmed in Hawaii but were instead filmed in SoCal), or they forgot to list it/are keeping it secret for some reason.

If I had to take a guess, I would have to say that the Getty Center would be the most likely LA museum they'd film at. It looks like it would fit right in in Trek, and the interior/exterior resembles some of the shots of the San Francisco foot chase with Cumberbatch and Spock.

Alternatively, it could be a new location for Starfleet Academy, which had previously filmed exterior shots at the Oviatt Library in Cal State Northridge, or a part of Starfleet HQ like the interior of the skyscrapers in the trailer.

Here's a flickrstream of shots from the Getty Center:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tag...e/interesting/

topas wrote: View Post
PS: Whatever those spherical drones are - they heavilly remind me of Xindi. Section 31 would probably not hesitate to use tech outlawed by treaties and such...
In the third trailer, they appear to be some sort of weapon, but not like a torpedo. Mines, perhaps?

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 09:58 PM   #85
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

It really wasn't until Khan's thirst for vengance against Kirk totally consumed him that he didn't care if his followers died or not. Until then he seemed content to love and lead them.
Old April 23 2013, 09:59 PM   #86
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Even then, he was big on "avenging" them after they dropped like flies...

Somewhat more seriously, it's strongly implied in TWOK that Khan's lust for revenge is fueled by his helplessness to protect his people - including and especially his "beloved wife" - from the environmental disaster on Ceti Alpha V. He places the blame for that on Kirk. It sounds as if he cared very much.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:11 PM   #87
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I'm wondering...

This has bothered me, too. Especially because the major flaws in the augments (as pointed out in "Space Seed") are that they are overly aggressive and overly ambitious. They can't help it.

That sort of works for me.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:17 PM   #88
Procutus
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

Somewhat more seriously, it's strongly implied in TWOK that Khan's lust for revenge is fueled by his helplessness to protect his people - including and especially his "beloved wife" - from the environmental disaster on Ceti Alpha V. He places the blame for that on Kirk. It sounds as if he cared very much.

I have to agree with you on that, after Joachim died in his arms on the Reliant, Khan did say 'I will avenge you."

Of course, there's the theory that's been bandied about that Joachim was supposed to be Khan's son, but the impression that I got was that he was a trusted friend and probably Khan's right-hand man.
Old April 23 2013, 10:26 PM   #89
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
if the spoilers are to be believed, STID will definitely connect with Trek lore so I guess the fans who've complained that it is too "action movie" and will not "feel" like Trek should have nothing to worry about.
The fans who enjoy complaining will still complain.
Personally, I would really, really love to like this movie, but the reviews sound as if the creators have once again confused "story that includes fan wank" with "telling a good Star Trek story". It's not even that I mind fan wank - when done well it can be very enjoyable. But when the story has to be tortured to fit it in (cough*nuKirk runs into Spock Prime on random ice planet*cough), I'd rather do without it.

And I'd much, much rather the writers simply try to tell a good Star Trek story and forget old univers/ new universe connections. Lord, how I wish they had just done a total reboot and gone after the spirit of Star Trek rather than using time travel and AUs. Needlessly complicated, continuity-hound pandering just gets in the way of good storytelling, as the first movie painfully demonstrates.

The fans who say, "JJ, take me on an adventure!" will have fun!
I have little doubt the film will be as fun, and as dumb, as the first Abrams film was. I don't think looking for fun and at least minimally smart is too much to ask. I'd settle for fun sans plotholes big enough to fly a starship through, but it doesn't sound like I'm going to get it.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
A museum in Los Angeles was supposed to fill in for a famous "Star Trek" location. Can anyone say what that location was?
I tried looking all over for it, but it's not listed on any of the official locations, although they do list "Los Angeles" in addition to things that are already in LA. So, either they changed their mind and didn't film there since 2011 (which also happened with the jungle scenes that were supposed to be filmed in Hawaii but were instead filmed in SoCal), or they forgot to list it/are keeping it secret for some reason.

If I had to take a guess, I would have to say that the Getty Center would be the most likely LA museum they'd film at.
It is the Getty Center. I don't know exactly what the in-story location is supposed to be, but in the teaser trailer it's the shot with rows of people sitting in front of a large building with the voice over "You think your world is safe."
Old April 23 2013, 10:33 PM   #90
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I'm wondering...

That sort of works for me.