RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,795
Posts: 5,217,900
Members: 24,223
Currently online: 806
Newest member: pty4488

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.36%
A 157 21.87%
A- 98 13.65%
B+ 78 10.86%
B 58 8.08%
B- 27 3.76%
C+ 38 5.29%
C 37 5.15%
C- 23 3.20%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 23 2013, 06:59 PM   #46
crucifixion
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
fascinoma wrote: View Post
crucifixion wrote: View Post
So are we 100% sure these spoilers are correct? It's very fanwanky and just want to make sure we know this is real and not someone pretending they went to it and made it all up so it tied back to the commercials?
Yeah, it's a little suspicious - there is hardly a scene in that recap that isn't in the trailers.
The IMDB stuff matches up perfectly with what another member of his board was telling folks this morning via PM. It's legit as far as I'm concerned.
Not to beat on a dead horse, I'm just putting on my skeptic hat here....but what if I created this fake story by linking all the trailers and had my friend post it on IMDB and I pm'd it to you this morning....there is nothing to prove or deny the story....is there something else that was done to confirm?
crucifixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:08 PM   #47
Sky
Captain
 
Sky  's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Okay, you've been warned - a lengthy and somewhat disjointed synopsis of the movie from someone at IMDB.

egads.
yeah. well.

__________________
there is no other wisdom
and no other hope for us
but that we grow wise.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:17 PM   #48
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

crucifixion wrote: View Post
is there something else that was done to confirm?
Ask JJ?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:23 PM   #49
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

crucifixion wrote: View Post
Not to beat on a dead horse, I'm just putting on my skeptic hat here....but what if I created this fake story by linking all the trailers and had my friend post it on IMDB and I pm'd it to you this morning....there is nothing to prove or deny the story....is there something else that was done to confirm?
You've got your events backwards. I initiated contact with this person as soon as the screening wrapped because I knew they attended, not the other way around. There's no way they're the same person as your hypothetical IMDB prankster.

Unless I'm in on it too!
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:24 PM   #50
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Sky wrote: View Post
So much for boldly going where no man has gone before.
I'm sorry, what does that have to do with a Star Trek movie?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:30 PM   #51
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
crucifixion wrote: View Post
Not to beat on a dead horse, I'm just putting on my skeptic hat here....but what if I created this fake story by linking all the trailers and had my friend post it on IMDB and I pm'd it to you this morning....there is nothing to prove or deny the story....is there something else that was done to confirm?
You've got your events backwards. I initiated contact with this person as soon as the screening wrapped because I knew they attended, not the other way around. There's no way they're the same person as your hypothetical IMDB prankster.

Unless I'm in on it too!
__________________
"If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank and that settles it. I mean it does nowadays, because we can't burn him."
— Mark Twain, from Following the Equator
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:40 PM   #52
PixelMagic
Lieutenant Commander
 
PixelMagic's Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I'll ask again, does the Enterprise get destroyed?
PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:41 PM   #53
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

It does not.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:44 PM   #54
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Sky wrote: View Post
So much for boldly going where no man has gone before.
I'm sorry, what does that have to do with a Star Trek movie?
I think that's the point Sky was trying to make. Not so much that it's a problem for this film exclusively, but that maybe the Star Trek movies could use a little less "Earth bound" setting and a little more "Out there" adventure. After all, these are the only new Star Trek material we're getting, and there's not that much variety.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:50 PM   #55
oneal_cj
Ensign
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

What is the name of the Dreadnought ship in the film??? Any details on the space battles???
oneal_cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 08:01 PM   #56
Sky
Captain
 
Sky  's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Jeyl wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Sky wrote: View Post
So much for boldly going where no man has gone before.
I'm sorry, what does that have to do with a Star Trek movie?
I think that's the point Sky was trying to make. Not so much that it's a problem for this film exclusively, but that maybe the Star Trek movies could use a little less "Earth bound" setting and a little more "Out there" adventure. After all, these are the only new Star Trek material we're getting, and there's not that much variety.
Thank you, Jeyl. That's one part of it. And..

__________________
there is no other wisdom
and no other hope for us
but that we grow wise.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 08:03 PM   #57
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I don't have a problem with the "ending". It's been done often enough in TOS so it's "trek" enough. Either way, I love being fanwanked.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 08:05 PM   #58
throwback
Captain
 
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I have my ticket. I will be watching this movie. I don't how I will feel about this movie until I have seen it. However, from what I have read, I feel that the alternate reality universe is not equaling or exceeding the prime reality universe in the story department.

And, if it is Khan, why bother? He isn't Superman. He is a genetically enhanced human who was defeated by other humans. He is a relic from another century - this was proven in TWoK during the space battle. How will he or his followers be a threat to the Klingons? I see them being steamrolled by the Klingons in a battle.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 08:08 PM   #59
GMDreia
Commander
 
GMDreia's Avatar
 
Location: SF Bay Area
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
if the spoilers are to be believed, STID will definitely connect with Trek lore so I guess the fans who've complained that it is too "action movie" and will not "feel" like Trek should have nothing to worry about.
The fans who enjoy complaining will still complain. The fans who say, "JJ, take me on an adventure!" will have fun!
I have observed that for the entire history of Star Trek films, there are always die hard Trekkers who can't be pleased.

What JJ has done is pretty monumental in that he's made the mythology accessible to people beyond the core fandom (people of my generation and your generation). My tumblr dashboard is filled up on a daily basis with the excited chatter of 18-25 year olds who became fans because of the '09 film, and are finding out about Trek for the first time and who are getting into watching the original series.

These people are on the edge of their seat looking forward to this movie. They are coming to the fandom without preconceived notions.

I think that's awesome.
__________________
I am the user formerly known as Fascinoma
GMDreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 08:11 PM   #60
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Augusta, GA
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

throwback wrote: View Post
I have my ticket. I will be watching this movie. I don't how I will feel about this movie until I have seen it. However, from what I have read, I feel that the alternate reality universe is not equaling or exceeding the prime reality universe in the story department.

And, if it is Khan, why bother? He isn't Superman. He is a genetically enhanced human who was defeated by other humans. He is a relic from another century - this was proven in TWoK during the space battle. How will he or his followers be a threat to the Klingons? I see them being steamrolled by the Klingons in a battle.
Don't forget, though, that on Enterprise the Augments held their own against the Klingons in combat. And, considering that Khan has probably received training from Section 31, he'll be all the more lethal.
__________________
Kurt Vonnegut: 1922-2007
Titus Andronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
benedict cumberbatch, grading & discussion, jj abrams

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.