Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 22 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?

I'm not sure the TNG era sets would really be any more expensive to recreate, though I may be wrong.

I'm totally the age bracket that grew up with TOS, but I'm more interested in TNG. I may be the exception rather than the rule though.
Old April 23 2013, 12:24 AM   #17
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Nick, there is a clear pattern that people who do not live in the USA who are strong fans generally prefer TNG, while strong fans who live in the USA are more likely to prefer TOS. Now, I live in the US and prefer TNG, so I'm not suggesting this is a hard and fast rule... but there does seem to be a tendency. In spite of it's supposed international crew, TOS has had little appeal abroad. You can even see it in the JJA Trek numbers. Most comic book and space-based Hollywood productions nowadays get MOST of their revenues overseas, while JJA Trek did not.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:40 AM   #18
Johnny
Commander

There's a lot more things on tng-era trek sets that make the physical building of it more of a struggle. If you look at any of the TOS sets, you can almost build the sets in your head, then walk into a room full of 8x4 and build a corridor. The bridge sets are symmetrical, even the turbo lifts are flat panels.

ST1 onwards have a lot more curves, odd angles, cut holes, back-lit sections, etc. Don't even get me started on working a helm console! Unless you're quite skilled at woodwork your looking at money to get it done.

I'm not saying that building a set is easy by any means, just that comparatively STI to TNG and further is more technically complicated.

Skills or money, it's a toss up.

Based on that, I can understand why there's not many tng sets around.

J.
Old April 23 2013, 03:04 AM   #19
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I think it's more of a matter of space than construction. The referenced set would be enormous. We had to choose to put our bridge in a smaller space than we would have liked over budget considerations. We simply couldn't afford a permanent set on a rental property. We looked, we tried, we begged the owners, but no, there was no way we could've afforded it. So we're foregoing a double-carport/garage and outer storage closet while our sets are in place.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Tom
Rear Admiral

I would add that filming in HD would also add to the cost since you can't get away with certain imperfections as you could with standard def.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 09:22 PM   #21
batboy853
Lieutenant

i would think that corridors such as those on the defiant class and while they aren't really TNG era i would think that NX style corridors would be easy to construct...

and with how modular some of those sets looked, depending on how you build the sets you could always move sections of the corridors to represent walls for generalized rooms, quarters, mess halls. Thats what became of the runabout aft section, from timescape.

and if you look at the Prometheus, nova, and DS9's Miranda, and nebula class bridge's they are all redresses from the excelsior bridge. Which Project Potemkin has built a similar bridge. When they were brainstorming ways for an engineering i recommended a redress of their bridge set.
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 10:27 PM   #22
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Which we loved the idea. It's very doable, and we may actually use it for a Gorn bridge completely reconfigured.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:06 PM   #23
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Nick, there is a clear pattern that people who do not live in the USA who are strong fans generally prefer TNG, while strong fans who live in the USA are more likely to prefer TOS. Now, I live in the US and prefer TNG, so I'm not suggesting this is a hard and fast rule... but there does seem to be a tendency. In spite of it's supposed international crew, TOS has had little appeal abroad. You can even see it in the JJA Trek numbers. Most comic book and space-based Hollywood productions nowadays get MOST of their revenues overseas, while JJA Trek did not.
I don't believe that's the case in the UK. My impression is that TOS is just as popular as TNG here, if not moreso.
Old April 23 2013, 11:30 PM   #24
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Could be. My Fan Filmmakers Map (which excludes abandon fan films like Hyperion) shows 11 films in the UK. 2 are either in both TNG and TOS or indeterminate. 1 is Enterprise era. Of the other 8, 5 are TNG and 3 are TOS. That's pretty close.

The Netherlands and the Czech Republic each have 1 TNG era film.

I know of NO TOS era fan films in Germany, either.

So, good point!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote