Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 21 2013, 04:02 PM   #76
indolover
Fleet Captain

Re: Anyone here who HATES "in the pale moonlight"

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
indolover wrote: View Post

lol.. Governments don't even exist. I personally don't give a shit what Sisko did since morality doesn't even exist. Only fools and losers believe in "morality".

someone's been taking his Nietzsche reading a little too seriously...
indolover tends to do ~'X doesn't exist' whenever he loses an argument.

He probably thinks he appears cool and mysterious.
Little does he know the reaction his faux profound statements engender.

Well - a laugh now and then is good for the health.
I wasn't even interested in an "argument". Also, morality doesn't exist. Reality is no obstacle, so it's up to you whether you believe that or not.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 04:04 PM   #77
indolover
Fleet Captain

if you don't think a government's first responsibility is self-defense then there's no point in arguing this. A government cannot carry out ANY OTHER responsibilities if it is destroyed or conquered. Arguing about "federation principles" when there is no federation left is just silly.

The Federation and the Klingons were fighting FOR the Romulans whether the Romulans would admit it or not. The Dominion would have gone after them next.
lol.. Governments don't even exist. I personally don't give a shit what Sisko did since morality doesn't even exist. Only fools and losers believe in "morality".

the beliefs of philosophers don't stack up with me. There is no such thing as "morals" get with it.
Old April 21 2013, 04:17 PM   #78
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Because you say so? Well, there's hard evidence if ever I saw it.
Old April 21 2013, 06:12 PM   #79
indolover
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Because you say so? Well, there's hard evidence if ever I saw it.
I say so? Well, that's how society is based.

You cannot be stupid to acknowledge that "morality" exists, can you?
Old April 21 2013, 11:54 PM   #80
horatio83
Commodore

Despite being a hardcore Roddenberryian I am fine with Sisko turning a blind eye to Garak doing some nasty stuff for him to get the Rommies into the war.
Sisko bribed Quark and allowed Garak to kill some people. The distinction between looking away and doing it yourself might seem trivial but I don't think it is. At least I would have a problem with Sisko's actions if he had done all of Garak's dirty work himself. We all know the trolley problem so I know that it is not rational, doing it yourself or allowing somebody to do something which you don't wanna yet admit to yourself but basically know boils down to the same thing. It is irrational but feels right to me.
Old April 22 2013, 02:50 AM   #81
indolover
Fleet Captain

if you don't think a government's first responsibility is self-defense then there's no point in arguing this. A government cannot carry out ANY OTHER responsibilities if it is destroyed or conquered. Arguing about "federation principles" when there is no federation left is just silly.

The Federation and the Klingons were fighting FOR the Romulans whether the Romulans would admit it or not. The Dominion would have gone after them next.

Then if you're stupid enough to believe in "morals", that's your own business.
Old April 22 2013, 03:34 AM   #82
R. Star
Rear Admiral

^
Got any more pearls of wisdom?
Old April 23 2013, 07:48 AM   #83
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I though it was one of, if not the best episode in the season/series. Gene Roddenberry had an ideal universe, where humanity eventually evolved to the point of avoiding conflict. However, humans will always be humans. We can built great things such as the pyramids, or reach for the stars, but we can still be capable of doing horrible things to each others a well.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:31 PM   #84
indolover
Fleet Captain

wingsabre wrote: View Post
I though it was one of, if not the best episode in the season/series. Gene Roddenberry had an ideal universe, where humanity eventually evolved to the point of avoiding conflict. However, humans will always be humans. We can built great things such as the pyramids, or reach for the stars, but we can still be capable of doing horrible things to each others a well.
Yeah, so all unrealistic artistic works have to be canned....
Old April 23 2013, 02:24 PM   #85
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Whenever arguments like this come up, I think of a line from Encounter at Farpoint...

Jean-Luc Picard wrote:
If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are.
Old April 24 2013, 01:11 PM   #86
Jarvisimo
Commander

Dream wrote: View Post
The episode only works if the Romulans find out the truth after the Dominion War and declare war on the Federation. The writers wimped out by not showing that.
Sorry to add a late reply, but there is a subtle discussion of Romulan perceptions of Vreenak's demise in Una McCormack's Treklit sequel to the episode, Hollow Men.

More to the point, Hollow Men is a wonderful examination of espionage in Trek, as well as the Sisko's guilt and sense of honour, the utilitarian attitudes of Starfleet (& S31) during war and, most of all, McCormack's excellent recurrent treatment of Garak (see also the Never-Ending Sacrifice and The Lotus Flower).
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:14 PM   #87
indolover
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Whenever arguments like this come up, I think of a line from Encounter at Farpoint...

Jean-Luc Picard wrote:
If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are.
Then you're probably autistic or something and don't have an imagination. Do you think this of all supposedly "unrealistic" art works?

I personally don't give a crap if any art work has to be realistic. The Roddenberry vision can be seen as it is, as a hope and dream.
Old April 24 2013, 01:23 PM   #88
marksound
Fleet Captain

Only fools and losers believe in "morality".

First good laugh of the day. Thanks.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 04:15 PM   #89
sonak
Vice Admiral

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
The episode only works if the Romulans find out the truth after the Dominion War and declare war on the Federation. The writers wimped out by not showing that.
Sorry to add a late reply, but there is a subtle discussion of Romulan perceptions of Vreenak's demise in Una McCormack's Treklit sequel to the episode, Hollow Men.

More to the point, Hollow Men is a wonderful examination of espionage in Trek, as well as the Sisko's guilt and sense of honour, the utilitarian attitudes of Starfleet (& S31) during war and, most of all, McCormack's excellent recurrent treatment of Garak (see also the Never-Ending Sacrifice and The Lotus Flower).

you made me want to check out that book.
Old April 24 2013, 06:16 PM   #90
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post

you made me want to check out that book.
Hollow Men is a great book.