Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 17 2013, 03:58 AM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Better movie idea than Nemesis

Drop B4 and have Shinzon's motives make some kind of sense and Nemesis would've been fine.
Old April 17 2013, 04:13 AM   #17
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

And get rid of the whole "screw the Prime Directive, let's ride around on buggies and shoort at the natives" thing.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 04:44 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The awful thing is they apparently cut 50 minutes, which probably had the needed character moments.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 04:45 AM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

EnsignRedshirt wrote: View Post
And get rid of the whole "screw the Prime Directive, let's ride around on buggies and shoort at the natives" thing.
I honestly doubt a few natives seeing what happened will affect their society in any way.

I think people overstate the importance of the Prime Directive. If farmers are truly getting ass-raped by aliens it has had no impact on our society beyond people making fun of them.
Old April 17 2013, 11:58 AM   #20
USS Firefly
Commander

The could use the Avatar novels to make a film of.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:18 PM   #21
Marsden
Captain

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

Not if they introduced Billi-Jakk Dukat (a lean, mean, Starfleet ass-kicking machine) along with his cousin who happened to be named Chuck Norris, Cardassian Ranger.

Can I hear a, "HELL-YA!"
I'd buy that for a dollar!
Old April 17 2013, 07:40 PM   #22
Paper Moon
Commander

I actually think the best thing that could've been done to improve Nemesis would have been to have Riker take command of the Titan at the beginning of the film, rather than the end, and then have him work with Picard as equals (not unlike Kirk and Sulu in TUC, but more balanced in terms of screentime). This would've forced a new story, and probably a more epic narrative than what we got. (Plus we would've seen Data as an XO, which would've been effing awesome.)
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 08:40 AM   #23
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Better still, Riker remains aboard the Enterprise and Worf assumes command of the Titan.

If only to screw with the people who follow the novels.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:48 PM   #24
Trek Survivor
Captain

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
I actually think the best thing that could've been done to improve Nemesis would have been to have Riker take command of the Titan at the beginning of the film,
Hmm, I quite like that idea.

Look, I like "Nemesis" but I'm sure it could be even better. I'd use the same basic plot e.g. Shinzon. I'd definitely lose B4 - give Brent Spiner another contractually-obligated sub plot.

I'd perhaps not have had the Romulans make Shinzon - his bitter self-loathing would make even more sense if he was a failed/shameful rogue HUMAN/Starfleet-led project who was then cast aside (would make his desire to destroy Earth more clear as well). He's spent the last several years raising an army (I like the look of the Remans, but keep 'em as a new funky alien race he's allied with, rather than linked with the Romulans) to finally secure the victory of 'the echo' over 'the voice'.

As for the OP's thoughts... this sounds dangerously like Spiner's dreadful "Justice League of Trek" idea, so my answer has to be no, no, no!
Old April 19 2013, 06:20 PM   #25
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Better movie idea than Nemesis
Plan 9 from Outer Space?
CoveTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 05:31 AM   #26
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Have the Aliens from Schisms invade?
Old April 23 2013, 05:42 AM   #27
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think Nemesis destroyed the movie franchise because the producers sat on their laurels. They expected it to follow the same odds, even numbered movie trend. They bragged about it, and expected that the info that it'll be action pack will give it a bump in the box office.

Riker should have commanded his own ship, and the Titan's engines should be disabled during the final battle (avoiding the need for the collisions course).

The whole plot made no sense, and took an excessive amount of time to introduce half heartily, so likely better to replace Shinzon's with someone from TNG's past like Sela. She should be the one imprisoned on the moon, and wants revenge on Picard and Data for spoiling her invasion plans of Vulcan. That would at least replicate elements of TWOK.

The B4 plot was a tangent that didn't really need to be there. It allowed for a backdoor plot to bring Data back from the dead. Realistically it would have made more sense if they just created a beat where Gordi talked to Data, where Data explained the progress he's had a replicating his own positronic matrix since Lal. It's almost complete, and he develop a nano-tech process to simulate natural aging, however the matrix is not a perfect replica and the positronic matrix will degrade over time. If he just transfered his data over to the new body, to see what it would feel like to grow old and discovered the problem. The clone is now off as he works on the problem. The clone will eventually die at an undetermined time as degradation appears to be random. If not fixed the android will die from an equivalent of dementia. (Solves the Brent Spiner aging issue, and gives his character a much needed terminal disease) Both Datas goes to save Picard, but in a transporter malfunction (from the Titan, as the Ent's transporters were off line), only the clone Data and Picard survives the transporter accident.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:49 PM   #28
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ Better yet, avoid all the technobabble completely. Either kill off Data or don't. I don't care either way. It was established he had an aging program, so if they wanted to keep the character around, fine. But if you're going to kill him off, just kill him off and be done with it. Make it a "blaze of glory" sacrifice, make it the final step in his quest to become human, make it a real emotional punch to the gut. But don't provide a nod and a wink type method of bringing him back in the next film that is about as subtle as a frying pan to the head.

TWOK/TSFS got away with it once with Spock. Even then, I agree with Nicholas Meyer that the "resurrection" of Spock in TSFS undercut the dramatic impact of his death in TWOK. Either way, though, once is enough. The "nobody stays dead in Star Trek" perception has been widely parodied. Nemesis didn't need to play into that.
CoveTom is online now   Reply With Quote