New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 22 2013, 07:17 PM   #166
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Is J.J. Abams "Star Trek" Sustainable?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Third Nacelle wrote: View Post

Yes, but even the bad ones held onto what Trek is: a cerebral science fiction series for people who like to think. That sort of thing doesn't translate well from TV to the big screen, but when they got it right, they got it RIGHT. The last movie completely erased that and turned it into an action movie. A very entertaining and beautiful action movie, but it wasn't really Trek.
No, they didn't.

TMP) Somewhat cerebral. Mostly a 2001 knockoff. Illia in a ridiculously short skirt.
TWOK) Revenge. Explosions. Getting old. KHAAAAAAAN! A FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!
TSFS) GE-NE-SIS?! Kirk's son killed. Get out! Get out of there! Lots of Pew!Pew!
TVH) They are not the hell your whales. One damn minute, Admiral.
TFF) Three boobed cat stripper. Sha-ka-ree. Lots of Pew!Pew!
TUC) Racism. Cold War. Shakespeare. Lots of Pew!Pew!
GEN) Fantasy land. Duras Sisters. Enterprise go Boom. Lots of Pew!Pew!
FC) BOOM! Sweaty Borg. Sexual healing. Drunks. A METRIC FUCK TON of Pew!Pew!
INS) Face lift. Forced relocation. F. Murray Abraham on a couch. Lots of poorly paced Pew!Pew!
NEM) Dune buggy. Mentally deficient android. Slowly moving doom device. Lots of random Pew!Pew!

I have highlighted two of the most popular pre-JJ Trek movies in the fandom.
Trek was an action franchise from the second movie installment onward. To suggest otherwise is to completely ignore everything beyond The Motion Picture.
Don't forget they pew pewwed the asteroid in the wormhole in TMP. And the transporter accident,
Of course the transporter accident resulted in an altogether different "pew-pew"... What? Too soon?
Old April 22 2013, 11:01 PM   #167
Danger Ace
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Agreed. A movie that is nonstop action (like Van Helsing) gets exhausting very fast.
"Van Helsing" is a great example of what I fear may happen with the Trek franchise in that VH was a well polished production yet it failed because it felt very smug and self-satisfied ... as though all involved thought that it was good enough just to go by numbers.

Even Raiders of the Lost Ark knew enough to break up the wild action sequences, with quieter, more character-oriented scenes. ("Indy, maybe the Ark is not meant to be found.")
Another great example. I would also add one of my absolute favorite action-adventure films "Last of the Mohicans," the version starring Daniel Day-Lewis and directed by Michael Mann. Almost non-stop action yet is able to tell an epic story. Even last year's James Bond movie, "Skyfall," gave us a well-motivated action film loaded with character - that film restored my faith in the commercial motion-picture industry and the action genre specifically.

Personally, I thought the last movie had lots of good character bits, between Spock and Sarek, for instance, or Spock and Uhura, or Kirk and Pine, etc. It wasn't just space battles and 'splosions.
Bits, yes. The Spock character fared the best in terms of character while James Kirk was developed in almost an aburb and cartoonish way going from birth to captain of the Enterprise so very, very quickly. The film sought to swing from one high-spot to another and, as you say, that leads to exhaustion.

It also can lead, in my opinion, to audience desensitization where the constant overwhelming of peoples senses causes them to become numbed or indifferent to the action thereby actual reaching a state of diminishing returns. That is why I worry about all the CGI heavy super-action sequences one after another. In and of itself, CGI is a wonderful ingrediant when skillfully measured out otherwise it can overwhelm the palate.

Regarding ideology, I tend to think that if you put (hopefully) interesting characters in difficult situations, emotionally or otherwise, themes and messages and such will just arise organically from the plot, without trying to deliberately impose them on the story.
I so very much agree. It is ideology and attitude. I am one of those that believes it takes just as much time, effort and resources to make a a "bad" film as it does to make a "good" one (or one that falls somewhere in-between). If one takes the time to tend their garden then much will present itself for harvest.

Which is why Nemesis upset me so. TPTB of that one clearly seemed to try and fool folks by pulling plastic carrots out of the ground then wondering aloud why no one was buying what they were selling.

For myself, when I sit down at the keyboard in the morning, I'm not thinking what Important Statement can I make about racism or global warming today, I'm putting myself in my character's heads and trying to figure out how they're going to react to whatever trouble I throw at them.
Not disagreeing with you ... just adding my take on it:

I don't believe folks are looking for "Star Trek" to be message heavy or preachy per se as most fans love spirited-adventure, however, it is more satisfying when embued with the illusion of meaning. That it represents something of noble quest beyond that of repetitiously slaying the big bad dragons.

Kirk and company have always been Arthurian in a futuristic Camelot. As such, fandom, I believe has come to hold it to a higher standard of expecting something more than just a hedonistic thrill-ride of CGI ad infinitum.

Again, all in my opinion and with repect to all others presented here.
Old April 23 2013, 01:02 AM   #168
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Personally, I thought the last movie had lots of good character bits, between Spock and Sarek, for instance, or Spock and Uhura, or Kirk and Pine, etc. It wasn't just space battles and 'splosions.
Kirk and Pine, eh? I guess Picard did say that if you travel far enough, you'll meet yourself. And heaven knows, the warp curve in JJ-verse allows for some pretty damn fast traveling.

(I kid, of course I know it's suppsed to be Pike. All in good fun.)
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:44 AM   #169
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

What is up with Alice Eve's accent in the trailers?

Are we supposed to assume that because of the "Nero butterfly effect" Abramsverse Carol grew up in Ireland or something?
Old April 23 2013, 01:49 AM   #170
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Why not? Though I'd think London more likely if there is any tie to the plot and her background.

It's easily imaginable that events unfolded in such a way that Admiral Marcus could have made different choices about how and where to raise his daughter. This hardly represents a deal-breaker (at least it certainly shouldn't).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:50 AM   #171
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
What is up with Alice Eve's accent in the trailers?

Are we supposed to assume that because of the "Nero butterfly effect" Abramsverse Carol grew up in Ireland or something?
Eve is English.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 03:10 AM   #172
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I know.
Old April 23 2013, 03:15 AM   #173
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I know.
Why Ireland then?
Perhaps a slight Austrian accent would be more to your liking?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 03:29 AM   #174
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It sounded somewhat Irish to me.