Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 22 2013, 09:48 PM   #76
xortex
Commodore

Re: why is there no more talk of a new star trek tv series?

Serious Trek can be done again in the style of 2001 but not by bad robot who really can't distinguish it from Galaxy Quest which is what it would be if they did it. That would be weird in a multi-infarc demensia kind of way. I.e. life imitating art.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:25 PM   #77
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I was always more of a Cleopatra 2525 man . . . .
Me too... That show did a far better job of creating an original, futuristic world in half hour installments than most other shows did in hour-long time slots across multiple seasons...
I will go to my grave regretting that I never got to write a Cleopatra 2525 novel. Really.
Old April 22 2013, 10:32 PM   #78
Tribble puncher
Commander

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
I just don't see a new series anytime soon, and IF there is a new series, I don't see it resembling anything that's been put out up to this point. I believe we will get one or two new Abrams films, and maybe 1080p remasters of all the existing series, repackaged a couple of more times before dvd's and blu rays go the way of the dodo bird, A few more books, a few more DST toys, and that's it really, it'll be like it was in the 70's again, kinda underground. We will credit Star Trek with things sure, but people's perception of what the future will be like is changing. I don't see these latest films as a resurgence that will power Star Trek for another 50 years. The masses will have forgotten these movies within five years (and that's if the next film is good). I believe that trek is at it's creative sunset, these next couple of movies I honestly believe will be it for new trek. Just my opinion.
In the 1970's, Trek was seen as a failure. That's why there was a complete absence of new Trek, save for the animated series.

However, ST09 was an absolute blockbuster success. If Into Darkness provides similar results, and a third film does the same, there is simply no way we're going to see a repeat of the 70's. Film and TV studios simply do not see three major blockbuster successes in a row and then say "well, let's take a break for a while."

I just think audiences are vastly different now, too short attention spans, I agree with an above poster in that networks will resort to sleaze television, (Ghetto Drama Talk shows, Lets get some douchebags drunk in a house and see what happens shows, and American Idol type shows) but like I said, this is all my opinion, I could very easily be wrong. If a new trek series comes out and it is successful, I will happily live with my wrongness.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:48 PM   #79
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Unfortunately, you're not wrong... It's this trend or pattern I've seen in TV and especially movies... Overuse of CGI, more emphasis on Visual rather than on, you know, Plot, Writing, Acting... It's all about chucking explosions in the audiences' faces every couple minutes to keep their brains alive... Over the past decade, I've seen some of the worst so-called Sci-Fi films and series; they're all pretty much kids flicks with over-the-top action scenes, one after another (and with frames apparently Missing to speed them up so you don't know who or what is fighting who or what!)... Science Fiction is becoming more aligned with cartoons and comic books than good stuff... I think the only half-decent "intelligent" SF film I've seen in the past decade was "Moon" and, being so low-budgeted, it hardly saw the light of day...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:54 PM   #80
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I just think audiences are vastly different now, too short attention spans, I agree with an above poster in that networks will resort to sleaze television, (Ghetto Drama Talk shows...)
Ghetto Drama Talk shows?
Old April 22 2013, 10:54 PM   #81
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I just think audiences are vastly different now, too short attention spans, I agree with an above poster in that networks will resort to sleaze television, (Ghetto Drama Talk shows, Lets get some douchebags drunk in a house and see what happens shows, and American Idol type shows) but like I said, this is all my opinion, I could very easily be wrong. If a new trek series comes out and it is successful, I will happily live with my wrongness.
I don't know. We were just debating this in another thread the other day. Sure, there's plenty of reality shows these days, but there's no shortage of quality dramas as well, more than any one person can have time to watch. Tonight alone we have LOST GIRL, CASTLE, BATES MOTEL, and possibly DEFIANCE (which I haven't sampled yet.) Last night you had ONCE UPON A TIME and VIKINGS. Wednesday is THE AMERICANS, which is probably my favorite new series. (Seriously, check it out. It's really good.)

I don't think audiences have gotten dumber, or that there's nothing but "sleaze" anymore. There's as much quality TV today as there's ever been. You just need to know where to look.

Last edited by Greg Cox; April 22 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:05 PM   #82
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps it's not so much there isn't as much quality TV on these days, but that there is just more reality/makeover etc.. shows. Which gives the perception that there is less quality.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 11:12 PM   #83
Dream
Admiral

I agree with an above poster in that networks will resort to sleaze television
You talking about all the sleazy decon chamber scenes on ENT?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 02:20 PM   #84
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

I'm fine without a TV series. I don't think we need Star Trek permeating all media again (even all of the fan films are getting to be a bit much). Let the current movies go on without competition from seeing Star Trek for free on TV.

Besides, it would just be one more thing to bitch about.
Old April 23 2013, 02:38 PM   #85
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I'm fine without a TV series. I don't think we need Star Trek permeating all media again (even all of the fan films are getting to be a bit much). Let the current movies go on without competition from seeing Star Trek for free on TV.

Besides, it would just be one more thing to bitch about.
People will bitch with or without a new TV series, so that doesn't matter. Every Trek series and movie has its detractors.

But I do think a new Trek series has to be something different from the movies, in the same way (if not more so) than the upcoming Agents of SHIELD TV series will be different from The Avengers movies. Heck, it might be better if a new Trek series is in a totally different era (or universe) than the movies. There was a time when we did have new TOS movies while TNG was on.
Old April 23 2013, 04:10 PM   #86
The Overlord
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Perhaps it's not so much there isn't as much quality TV on these days, but that there is just more reality/makeover etc.. shows. Which gives the perception that there is less quality.
That is only on the Networks, on the cable channels we have had some of the best TV shows ever:

The Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Justified, etc.

We even have online series that have great TV shows, like Netflix with House of Cards.

Anyone who says TV is worse now then it has been the past, is clearly not looking in the right places. If anything we in are in a golden age of television.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 04:40 PM   #87
Harvey
Admiral

The "problem," I suppose, is the proliferation of content because of cable. Cable, of course, has led to a number of great shows, but Sturgeon's Law still applies. And since there is a lot, LOT more television now than in the three network era, ther is a lot of crap.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:32 PM   #88
The Overlord
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
The "problem," I suppose, is the proliferation of content because of cable. Cable, of course, has led to a number of great shows, but Sturgeon's Law still applies. And since there is a lot, LOT more television now than in the three network era, ther is a lot of crap.
Sure, but that has always been the case, even back in the 60s and 70s, a lot of the shows were garbage and there were a few good ones. But the fact is there is quality TV content now, then in the past, one has just has be discriminating. TV is way better now then it was in any past decade.

With so many more outlets, we have more avenues for good shows to be created, then in the past. TV can get away with things that you could only do in movies in terms of mature content and all the cable channels have produced a wider variety and diversity of shows, that would not have been possible in the past.

I think anyone who says TV is worse now, then in the past, is mistaken and is not looking in the right places.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:46 PM   #89
Harvey
Admiral

That's exactly my point; sorry it wasn't clearer. With a bigger pie of television, Sturgeon's Law means there is more quality TV being made, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 08:06 PM   #90
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't know. We were just debating this in another thread the other day. Sure, there's plenty of reality shows these days, but there's no shortage of quality dramas as well, more than any one person can have time to watch. Tonight alone we have LOST GIRL, CASTLE, BATES MOTEL, and possibly DEFIANCE (which I haven't sampled yet.) Last night you had ONCE UPON A TIME and VIKINGS. Wednesday is THE AMERICANS, which is probably my favorite new series. (Seriously, check it out. It's really good.)

I don't think audiences have gotten dumber, or that there's nothing but "sleaze" anymore. There's as much quality TV today as there's ever been. You just need to know where to look.
That's what I've been saying for quite a long while to the idiots at the forums of this website (in particular this thread) and they don't or won't get it, at all. People just want to spend time trapped in The Golden Oldies Zone and won't ever leave. And they expect the home video divisions of the major studios to put every old TV show of the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s on DVD in fully remastered sets, regardless of if they will even sell enough units to justify making more. That, and resistance to the 2009 Star Trek movie and the current one make me wonder if people even know what decade or century this is.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 23 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote