To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 22 2013, 09:58 PM   #166
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
Oh, King Daniel... Oooh, "the truth behind it" and only "official" interviews...

Tell you what, I wont see the new Trek movie if you don't read any of Franz Joseph's stuff or that nasty, dirty, filthy, "illegal" Tech Fandom stuff that I love... Deal? We'll both be happy then and be able to cope better with the real world...
But I like FJ's stuff and tech fandom! I wish you'd not see everything in such all or nothing terms.
And a note on piracy: who said anything about piracy? I'll see a copy when it comes around... Emphasis on the word c-o-p-y... Nobody's talking about "theft of property" here... No more than I'd take a copy of your avatar, print it out, frame it, and hang it up on my wall next to one of my heroes... Don't worry about all your money you have invested in Paramound...I know the type, oh how I know the type...
Perhaps I jumped the gun.
Old April 22 2013, 10:02 PM   #167
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Marsden wrote: View Post
...there's plenty of sheeple to do that for me.
Why are we 'sheeple' because we spend our money on things we enjoy? I'm sure you spend money on things that others would consider frivolous or unworthy of the expenditure. Do you expect to be called 'sheeple' (or worse) when that happens?
Old April 22 2013, 10:15 PM   #168
Gojira
Commodore

I saw the 09 debacle on a copied dvd my brother in law gave me because his buddy burned it for him and he didn't like it. I expect to see this new one in the same way, I will not spend a penny on it, there's plenty of sheeple to do that for me.
So people who like the new Star Trek are Sheep? Can you provide a better argument without resolving to name calling?
Old April 22 2013, 10:31 PM   #169
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I saw the 09 debacle on a copied dvd my brother in law gave me because his buddy burned it for him and he didn't like it. I expect to see this new one in the same way, I will not spend a penny on it, there's plenty of sheeple to do that for me.
So you consider DVD piracy to be a legitimate way to fight back?
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:33 PM   #170
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Oh, King Daniel... Oooh, "the truth behind it" and only "official" interviews...

Tell you what, I wont see the new Trek movie if you don't read any of Franz Joseph's stuff or that nasty, dirty, filthy, "illegal" Tech Fandom stuff that I love... Deal? We'll both be happy then and be able to cope better with the real world...
But I like FJ's stuff and tech fandom! I wish you'd not see everything in such all or nothing terms.
I don't... But having analyzed certain aspects many times, from many different angles, seeing how things fit together, I eventually come to certain conclusions which become IMHO's...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:40 PM   #171
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Wow, I can see This thread blowing itself out of proportion by a few light years...

All I'm going to say is that stealing is theft of property not copy of property, especially in light of NOBODY IS SELLING A COPY FOR A PROFIT...

I've taped All the Trek episodes off the air, ending with, well that horrible ending in a holodeck... Got 'em all on tape that way for my own private use... I'm no pirate, I'm not selling them, there's this thing about freedom of the airwaves, and nobody's gonna lock up Jamny Nurdbol for being a Crook for doing what everyone else is doing...
A copy is a copy, big hairy deal...like a tribble...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:50 AM   #172
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Wow, I can see This thread blowing itself out of proportion by a few light years...

All I'm going to say is that stealing is theft of property not copy of property, especially in light of NOBODY IS SELLING A COPY FOR A PROFIT...

I've taped All the Trek episodes off the air, ending with, well that horrible ending in a holodeck... Got 'em all on tape that way for my own private use... I'm no pirate, I'm not selling them, there's this thing about freedom of the airwaves, and nobody's gonna lock up Jamny Nurdbol for being a Crook for doing what everyone else is doing...
A copy is a copy, big hairy deal...like a tribble...
You are completely wrong.

Anyway, we've gone way off the rails from "How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?"

So everyone please relax, get back on the subject, or I will have to close this.

Thanks.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 04:47 AM   #173
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

In that case, back on topic, I would love to see a full out and out refit of TOS. Not to replace, but because I want to see what we can really do with it.
Old April 23 2013, 04:57 AM   #174
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Why don't you try working your way up to a full-out messover of TOS?

Maybe start by giving us colorized versions of Ken Adam's charcoal artwork for the Bond movies first?

Or editing BIRTH OF A NATION so that the KKK aren't the heroes of the piece? Yeah, now that's a piece of revisionism that should go very well with how folks prefer to see history on their own terms instead of for what it was.

With the latter in mind, why do you even want to see TOS again at all?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:20 AM   #175
J. Allen
Best Pony™

trevanian wrote: View Post

Maybe start by giving us colorized versions of Ken Adam's charcoal artwork for the Bond movies first?

Or editing BIRTH OF A NATION so that the KKK aren't the heroes of the piece? Yeah, now that's a piece of revisionism that should go very well with how folks prefer to see history on their own terms instead of for what it was.

Repeat after me:

"It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Keep on saying that to yourself. Now, breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth.

There we go.
There we go. That's good.
That's a good boy. Good.
Relax. Yes.

Just say to yourself, "It's just a TV show, there's no need for me to be angry or hyperbolic. I still have my unaltered Blu-rays, DVDs, Laserdiscs, and VHS tapes. This man has not broken into my home, and stolen my precious TV show. He has not harmed me in any way. I am free to unclench."

Just keep repeating that over and over.
Old April 23 2013, 12:09 PM   #176
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Why not? They're not holy relics and I don't have to like the end result. As long as the original prints/films are preserved, I don't care what someone does with copies of them.

It's fun that technology allows our imaginations run wild. But I still revisit TOS about once a year.
Old April 23 2013, 09:48 PM   #177
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

P.S. I assume it was burned from HBO, is that piracy? I didn't pay for it, that was my point. I thought piracy included selling things.
Selling/buying an illeagal copy would be piracy (often called bootlegging of the item in question isn't legally available (yet).

Getting a copy of something without paying for it is simply theft.

For the record, I'm not judging anybody or trying to tell anybody what they can or cannot do, I'm just defining a few terms.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:05 AM   #178
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Repeat after me:

Keep on saying that to yourself. Now, breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth.

There we go.
That's a good boy. Good.
Relax. Yes.

Just say to yourself, "It's just a TV show, there's no need for me to be angry or hyperbolic. I still have my unaltered Blu-rays, DVDs, Laserdiscs, and VHS tapes. This man has not broken into my home, and stolen my precious TV show. He has not harmed me in any way. I am free to unclench."

Gotta love it. Dissenting views are treated like lone nuts, and I'm sure this post will be considered sour grapes. So much for the art of conversation. Good goin', grape nuts.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:18 AM   #179
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Gotta love it. Dissenting views are treated like lone nuts, and I'm sure this post will be considered sour grapes. So much for the art of conversation. Good goin', grape nuts.
The art of conversation? Honey, I'm not the one invoking the KKK because someone likes nice special effects on a science fiction television show. If what you passed off in the previous post was your idea of the "art of conversation", it's a bleedin' Picasso. You're not conversing, you're yelling. You're posting a diatribe and calling it conversation. "Art of conversation," my ass.
Old April 24 2013, 01:34 AM   #180
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Repeat after me:

There we go.
That's a good boy. Good.
Relax. Yes.

Relax.