Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 19 2013, 06:09 PM   #331
LtChange
Commander

Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
How do the BDs compare to the PAL DVD release?
That is what I'm comparing with, I say it is better. Not that big difference as with the TNG sets but: live action is much better, CGI is pretty bad in the first few episodes, but by disc 3 it can be seen that is better, today I watched Shadows of P'Jem, and the orbit around the planet is beautiful, and the Vulcan ship is better than the one in Breaking the Ice
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 07:47 PM   #332
Oso Blanco
Commodore

But what about the differences in color? Are they as evident compared to the PAL version as they are to the NTSC version?
Old April 19 2013, 08:17 PM   #333
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

But what about the differences in color? Are they as evident compared to the PAL version as they are to the NTSC version?
Although I am in the UK, I imported all my ENT DVD box sets from the States to avoid PAL speed-up. The new colour timing on the BD's is clearly discernible. Your PAL DVD's will have almost certainly come from the same masters as their US counterparts - just scaled to 576i and sped up! Colours would be the same on both DVD sets. NTSC colour fluctuation was/is only a problem with television broadcasts - but is stable on home video.
Old April 19 2013, 08:17 PM   #334
MacLeod
Admiral

Well both PAL and NTSC both have their pros and cons, but PAL I believe is better for colour stability (as well as having higher resolution) than NTSC. But NTSC due to have its higher framne rate might have less flicker in the image. But PAL runs something like 4% faster than NTSC
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 07:59 AM   #335
Oso Blanco
Commodore

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Although I am in the UK, I imported all my ENT DVD box sets from the States to avoid PAL speed-up. The new colour timing on the BD's is clearly discernible. Your PAL DVD's will have almost certainly come from the same masters as their US counterparts - just scaled to 576i and sped up! Colours would be the same on both DVD sets. NTSC colour fluctuation was/is only a problem with television broadcasts - but is stable on home video.
That's funny, I'm in Germany and got my box sets etc. from the UK because I wanted the writing on the box and the inlays to be in English. I didn't know about the PAL speed up back then, and that two DS9 episodes were cut for the PAL version ...

So, the color difference will be there for me too ... hmm. I think I will wait until it's going to drop in price and think about it again.
Old April 20 2013, 09:28 AM   #336
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I certainly understand the knee-jerk reaction to consider the color-timing "altered", but I can't help but feel like it's actually closer to the truth to call this the intended look for the show. I for one much prefer it to the often yellow skin tones and sometimes over-brightness of the DVD versions.

Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:56 AM   #337
LtChange
Commander

I really don't think that the color correction is annoying or something. You don't even notice it if you don't put the two shots side by side ...
Old April 20 2013, 10:30 AM   #338
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

...and that two DS9 episodes were cut for the PAL version ...
Wow, I didn't know that! Do you know which episodes, what was cut - and why?

Tosk wrote: View Post
I certainly understand the knee-jerk reaction to consider the color-timing "altered", but I can't help but feel like it's actually closer to the truth to call this the intended look for the show. I for one much prefer it to the often yellow skin tones and sometimes over-brightness of the DVD versions.
Honestly, I prefer the new colour timing - it has a far more naturalistic appearance to my eye. Also, the boosted contrast helps alleviate the somewhat drab and washed out visual sheen that permeates the look of the show.
Old April 20 2013, 10:54 AM   #339
Oso Blanco
Commodore

To The Death - The neck snapping shot was replaced by a reaction shot of Worf, and the snapping sound was removed.

Sons And Daughters - About half a minute was cut from the final scene, when Worf, Martok and Alexander mixed their blood together and drank it. It was considered too dangerous because of the whole AIDS thing.

By the way, both cuts were made due to British regulations and were then adopted for the rest of Europe. Probably because it would have been too expansive to produce two different versions for the European market.
Old April 20 2013, 11:03 AM   #340
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

To The Death - The neck snapping shot was replaced by a reaction shot of Worf, and the snapping sound was removed.

Sons And Daughters - About half a minute was cut from the funal scene, when Worf, Martok and Alexander mixed their blood together and drank it. It was considered too dangerous because of the whole AIDS thing.

By the way, both cuts were made due to British regulations and were then adopted for the rest of Europe. Probably because it would have been too expansive to produce two different versions for the European market.
Thirty seconds from Sons And Daughters - that's harsh! Thanks for the info, I am now even more gratified I elected to import all my DVD Trek from the US! Of course, these are things it's worth keeping an eye on if DS9 eventually hits BD. In all probability, the unedited cuts would be used in all territories - but a new submission to the BBFC would be required in the UK, and you just never know.
Old April 20 2013, 11:50 AM   #341
LtChange
Commander

Sons And Daughters - About half a minute was cut from the final scene, when Worf, Martok and Alexander mixed their blood together and drank it. It was considered too dangerous because of the whole AIDS thing.

So you say that I didn't saw to scenes from STS9 (I have the UK DVS's) ... Interesting. I hope that if DS9 will be released on blu they will fix this ...
Old April 22 2013, 06:16 PM   #342
LtChange
Commander

Question about the discs: I have the European version of the blu-ray (UK) and on Disc 5, on episode Vox Sola, around minute 6 of the episode, my PS3 skips almost a full minute, and my PC blu-ray player plays the part but full with digital artifacts. Anybody else having this problem?

The scene: after Porthos barking at the entity, when Malcom, Travis and Hoshi are talking in the mess hall, skips after the few seconds (or plays with artifacts in the case of my PC) until Hoshi is listening to the entity in the corridor.
Old April 22 2013, 07:40 PM   #343
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

LtChange wrote: View Post
Question about the discs: I have the European version of the blu-ray (UK) and on Disc 5, on episode Vox Sola, around minute 6 of the episode, my PS3 skips almost a full minute, and my PC blu-ray player plays the part but full with digital artifacts. Anybody else having this problem?

The scene: after Porthos barking at the entity, when Malcom, Travis and Hoshi are talking in the mess hall, skips after the few seconds (or plays with artifacts in the case of my PC) until Hoshi is listening to the entity in the corridor.
I've already ripped the entire season uncompressed to my media player. I double checked Vox Sola, and it played perfectly - I popped the disc in as well, again, no problem. Check your disc under a bright light for minor debris, give it a gentle wipe, then try again. If you still have no luck, I'd return it for an exchange.
Old April 26 2013, 06:29 AM   #344
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

i can't wait for season three and four to be released on blu ray.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 10:10 AM   #345
LtChange
Commander

First I would like to know when S2 is coming out ...