Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 20 2013, 10:14 PM   #151
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

Seriously, how much "meaningful" SF has there been on film or TV? Very very little.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:30 PM   #152
MacLeod
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
A few comments on the above.
  1. Re the argument that the originals are not gone. For a lot of people they are. Go to syndication or Netflix and watch a TOS episode and you dont have the option to see the originals. So, unless you are willing to shell out money to own bluray discs, you can't watch the originals any more.

But would it be available to watch at all on TV or via streaming, if it hadn't been remastered? We can't really now the answer to that can we?

You know I think one of the reasons Star Trek stood the test of time unlike many other shows is that esp. in the first two seasons it told good stories. The effects whether they be the original or the re-mastered are secondary to the story and for the most part don't really detract from the story.

Are the new effects perfect, no of course not.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:46 PM   #153
Maurice
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
A few comments on the above.
  1. Re the argument that the originals are not gone. For a lot of people they are. Go to syndication or Netflix and watch a TOS episode and you dont have the option to see the originals. So, unless you are willing to shell out money to own bluray discs, you can't watch the originals any more.
But would it be available to watch at all on TV or via streaming, if it hadn't been remastered? We can't really now the answer to that can we?
Given the number of times the show has been resyndicated and sold on various home video formats, and given how many unremastered shows are on Hulu, etc., I'd say the show wasn't in any risk of disappearing utterly.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old April 20 2013, 11:13 PM   #154
MacLeod
Admiral

^There is always a risk no matter how small, even if it's infinitesimal.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old April 21 2013, 03:01 AM   #155
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^Which in no way justifies the what was done in the remastered effects.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old April 21 2013, 03:41 AM   #156
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
I've stated my opinions and I'm sure few if any will agree with them... That's the story of my life... I don't hop on the bandwagon and blindly follow crowds... I like to reason my own course out beforehand... I'm a thinking man in an unpopular world of herd instinct Borg...
Perhaps you're simply overthinking something that has always been entertainment for most of us?

There's enough going on in the real world.
Who says Star Trek ISN'T the real world?

If I've never kissed a girl and have to live in my parents' basement, I've got to get off on Something!
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 11:19 PM   #157
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I put forth The Measure of a Man as the counter-argument as why the final product released to the public shouldn't be the 'final' product. The extended version of the episode on the TNG Season 2 Blu-ray set is awesome. In order to do it, they had to create special effects for thirteen minutes of new footage incorporated into the episode.
Old April 22 2013, 02:57 PM   #158
destructive
Commander

How far? This far:
Star Trek TOS Bridge Replacement
http://vimeo.com/12023417

Last edited by destructive; April 22 2013 at 03:12 PM.
destructive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 04:07 PM   #159
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm tired of this old "FJ was not a fan" bunk... If he wasn't a fan he wouldn't have sunk so much time and effort into what he accomplished! Duh! One brief interview repeated over and over again does nothing for me and in a court of law would be dismissed as hearsay...
It doesn't mean he was a fan, just a professional. If you won't believe his daughter Karen, take it from Franz Joseph Schnaubelt himself, in an interview from 1976:

Franz Joseph Schnaubelt wrote:
I was doing nothing with Star Trek. But my daughter, Karen, has been a trekkie from the first episode. I did look at the first two and decided they weren't so hot. I enjoyed Lost in Space, which was running at the same time, because it was a space-age soap opera. Then it got to be way too wild so I started to watch Star Trek with Karen, but I've never been a fan of the show.

I've never bothered with science fiction, and I've never bothered with Star Trek.

As I told you at the beginning, I'm not an avid fan. Sure, it's great--the kids are having fun and everybody enjoys it and more power to them.
http://www.trekplace.com/fj-fjwilliamsint01.html

I love FJ's contributions to Trek. He set the standard and his contributions formed integral parts of the Trekverse. But like Harve Bennett, Nicholas Meyer and even J.J. Abrams, he was not a Trek fan.
Old April 22 2013, 05:31 PM   #160
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

That interview's getting kinda old, don'tya think?
I just think that you and your pals are trying to make a statement here about something...

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine who ran into Leonard Nimoy during lunch, said that Lenny N proclaimed Star Trek and its fans to be trash (that's paraphrasing it, of course)... Since my friend of a friend of a friend heard That from The Leonard Nimoy, he denounced fandom and never watched another Trek episode ever again...

But my bottom line is that I'm not paying to see Into Darkness... I'll see it free through my own unspeakable means, but TPTB won't make a cent off of me in a theater... Having endured the 2009 movie, its bad taste still lingers in my mouth and I have a pretty good idea of what's in store this time around... Like they say, "It's not your father's Star Trek"... It's not mine, either...
Old April 22 2013, 05:59 PM   #161
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

That interview's getting kinda old, don'tya think?
I just think that you and your pals are trying to make a statement here about something...
Not the same interview. That was FJ himself in 1976. The prior one was his daughter Karen in 1999.

I just think you should know the truth behind that which you hold so dear, rather than repeat incorrect statements, such as FJ being a big Trek fan, and blaming everyone but Roddenberry and Franz Joseph for FJ's work being contradicted, as if Mike Okuda went rogue and took over the franchise or something.
A friend of a friend of a friend of mine who ran into Leonard Nimoy during lunch, said that Lenny N proclaimed Star Trek and its fans to be trash (that's paraphrasing it, of course)... Since my friend of a friend of a friend heard That from The Leonard Nimoy, he denounced fandom and never watched another Trek episode ever again...
Even of those were Nimoy's feelings about Trekkies, he has not (to the best of my knowledge) said as much in an official interview.
Besides, it's again an unfair comparison - FJ never intentionally disrespected a Trek fan or spoke ill of fandom. He didn't consider the show trash - just not his thing. Which is fair enough, IMO.
But my bottom line is that I'm not paying to see Into Darkness... I'll see it free through my own unspeakable means, but TPTB won't make a cent off of me in a theater... Having endured the 2009 movie, its bad taste still lingers in my mouth and I have a pretty good idea of what's in store this time around... Like they say, "It's not your father's Star Trek"... It's not mine, either...
I wouldn't brag about pirating movies here. Perhaps it would be best if you simply didn't see it, or waited for it to air on television? It's only gonna upset and anger you anyway. Unless that's all part of the fun in your eyes...
Old April 22 2013, 06:46 PM   #162
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^As much as I hate to say this, it's his right to see it as a download if he doesn't want to pay any of his money to see it in a theater. It's what I do sometimes myself when I don't care for a movie that much to pay for it physically or as a rental (case in point; this abominable 1968 movie starring Jackie Gleason and directed by Otto Preminger that was an attempt to be 'with it' back during that year.)

Of course, as I've suggested, I wish that Lenny would see a good shrink, or just stick to the original shows and movies on DVD. But like most classic fans, he'll continue to be an obnoxious Trekkie.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 08:43 PM   #163
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Oh, King Daniel... Oooh, "the truth behind it" and only "official" interviews...

Tell you what, I wont see the new Trek movie if you don't read any of Franz Joseph's stuff or that nasty, dirty, filthy, "illegal" Tech Fandom stuff that I love... Deal? We'll both be happy then and be able to cope better with the real world...

And a note on piracy: who said anything about piracy? I'll see a copy when it comes around... Emphasis on the word c-o-p-y... Nobody's talking about "theft of property" here... No more than I'd take a copy of your avatar, print it out, frame it, and hang it up on my wall next to one of my heroes... Don't worry about all your money you have invested in Paramound...I know the type, oh how I know the type...

As for Shaka Zulu, that was kinda below the belt and uncalled for...but I expected as such in a place like this... Especially in light of not knowing the facts... Like having seen shrinks in the past when I was young (why? because of social phobia, anxiety, and just being, you know, a little Different because I preferred to Read Books rather than hang out in bars and get drunk on Friday nights)... I had a nervous disposition so Mr. Shrink gave me prescription drugs... Know what they did? They either made me super-tired that I couldn't function, or they placed me in a zomboid state which, again, meant that I couldn't function...
Result: I lost jobs and my career went down the drain.. All because society wanted me to be "normal" like them... But, hey, Mr. Shrink got very rich off of me...

And I'm not an "obnoxious Trekkie" because I don't run around with a Star Fleet uniform on, rubber Spock ears, or act like an asshole at cons... I dress and behave quite normally, if a bit aloofly, and I've learned the hard way Not to display one's love for Trek in public...
Old April 22 2013, 08:57 PM   #164
MacLeod
Admiral

There is no difference between wearing a T-Shirt of your favourite TV programme/film to that of your favourite sports team.

I don't go around critising people for wearing a top from their favourite sports team, all I ask is that you do the same.
Old April 22 2013, 09:02 PM   #165
Marsden
Captain

I saw the 09 debacle on a copied dvd my brother in law gave me because his buddy burned it for him and he didn't like it. I expect to see this new one in the same way, I will not spend a penny on it, there's plenty of sheeple to do that for me.

P.S. I assume it was burned from HBO, is that piracy? I didn't pay for it, that was my point. I thought piracy included selling things.

Also, I'm expecting the new movie to be another blockbuster. That means a lot more people than "Star Trek fans" are going to see it. Those people that see a movie because it's the latest movie with action in it were the ones to whom I was refering. I'd been classified as a sheeple because I did something other people were doing and I didn't like it either. I apologize if my choice of words was unfortunate. I'm not making another post because Calculon said get back to topic and he's right, so I edited in here. Other people looking just to see any movie because it's something to do will be the majority of the ticket sales, just because of numbers.

Last edited by Marsden; April 23 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: attempted explanation of poor posting.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote