RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,629
Posts: 5,427,217
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 556
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 19 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
gturner
Admiral
 
Location: Kentucky
Huge new battery breakthrough.

Extreme Tech link

"New lithium-ion btatery design that is 2,000 times more powerful, recharges 1,000 times faster."

The chemistry isn't much different (so energy density isn't leapfrogging), but the anode and cathode are on 3-D styrofoam cells instead of 2-D surfaces, so it's like having millions of very tiny batteries with extremely high charge and discharge rates wired in parallel.

Its performance is like a supercapacitor but with the energy density of the best current batteries.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 12:58 AM   #2
farmkid
Commodore
 
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

I saw this earlier today and it seems promising. There are still some significant heat and safety issues that need to be worked out, but I hope to see something come of it. The article I saw, however, said that this technology would make batteries that are 10X more powerful, not 2000X.

BBC link
__________________
Computers are like the God of the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

Eh, another "battery breakthrough". Seems to be a new one every couple of months that makes the news. Still waiting for any of them to reach market.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

Battery power still limits the portability of electronics. It has gotten better, but there's still so much potential waiting to be opened up with extended portable run time. This new approach looks very promising. Thanks for linking it, gturner.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 07:14 PM   #5
JessDD
Lieutenant
 
JessDD's Avatar
 
Location: Florida
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

It's not real to me until it's in my cell phone.
__________________
This is my website!
JessDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 08:22 PM   #6
not
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Eh, another "battery breakthrough". Seems to be a new one every couple of months that makes the news. Still waiting for any of them to reach market.
I often wonder if tech doesn't make it to the market because business doesn’t need buggy whip competition.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
STR
Captain
 
STR's Avatar
 
Location: Out there. Thatta way.
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

not wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Eh, another "battery breakthrough". Seems to be a new one every couple of months that makes the news. Still waiting for any of them to reach market.
I often wonder if tech doesn't make it to the market because business doesn’t need buggy whip competition.
Read up on game theory. No way someone would pass up being first to market with a $100 billion breakthrough in batteries.

The real problem is that these press releases tout the advantages, not the fact that these technologies either:
A) Cost $5000 per cell
B) Last for 5-50 charge cycles
C) Have a 50% chance of exploding on an average day, 90% on a humid or rainy one.
__________________
An egotist is someone more interested in himself than me.
STR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:58 PM   #8
not
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

STR wrote: View Post
not wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Eh, another "battery breakthrough". Seems to be a new one every couple of months that makes the news. Still waiting for any of them to reach market.
I often wonder if tech doesn't make it to the market because business doesn’t need buggy whip competition.
Read up on game theory. No way someone would pass up being first to market with a $100 billion breakthrough in batteries.

The real problem is that these press releases tout the advantages, not the fact that these technologies either:
A) Cost $5000 per cell
B) Last for 5-50 charge cycles
C) Have a 50% chance of exploding on an average day, 90% on a humid or rainy one.

I know nothing on game theory -though I recall hearing about it but I'm know, what I do know, very well
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Icemizer
Fleet Captain
 
Icemizer's Avatar
 
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

Until the engineers start thinking beyond the "battery" solution things will not really change much.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Huge new battery breakthrough.

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Until the engineers start thinking beyond the "battery" solution things will not really change much.
Why should they? They already have a consumer base that regularly purchases replaceable batteries designed to wear out. If batteries became more efficient, it'd effect sales. So you won't see them, or if you do they'll be insanely expensive.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.