RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,232
Posts: 5,406,068
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 639
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 22 2013, 09:16 AM   #16
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

Language may indeed be a democracy, but it isn't anarchy. There have to be authoritative sources on usage, grammar, and orthography, or else we all become like Humpty-Dumpty.

And this source, along with every other writing guide on the web, says "alot" isn't a word.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:18 AM   #17
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

teacake wrote: View Post
tsq's moxie in this thread is all copacetic to me. Everything's coming up milhouse!
Coming up milhous? Is that rhyming slang? I love rhyming slang, though, being American, I hardly understand a word of it. On an episode of QI Stephen Fry gave an example of second generation rhyming slang: somehow Listerine meant anti-American -- something to do with antiseptic...so brilliant, but I forget how it worked.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:23 AM   #18
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

scotpens wrote: View Post
Language may indeed be a democracy, but it isn't anarchy. There have to be authoritative sources on usage, grammar, and orthography, or else we all become like Humpty-Dumpty.

And this source, along with every other writing guide on the web, says "alot" isn't a word.
That's not true at all. That's like saying music doesn't exist unless you know how to read and write the notes. As someone pointed out already, you've got it backwards. The language evolves before the rules. Instead of reading guides on grammer why not read about the development of language and linguistics? It's way more interesting and might correct some of the misconceptions you seem to have. Try Steven Pinker, he's always a fun read, and a member of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
tsq's moxie in this thread is all copacetic to me. Everything's coming up milhouse!
Coming up milhous? Is that rhyming slang? I love rhyming slang, though, being American, I hardly understand a word of it. On an episode of QI Stephen Fry gave an example of second generation rhyming slang: somehow Listerine meant anti-American -- something to do with antiseptic...so brilliant, but I forget how it worked.
It's a bit convoluted, but it may have to do with the fact that "seppo" is Australian slang for an American -- from "septic tank," which rhymes with "Yank."

As for the Milhouse thing, all I know is that he's a character on The Simpsons.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:26 AM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

scotpens wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
tsq's moxie in this thread is all copacetic to me. Everything's coming up milhouse!
Coming up milhous? Is that rhyming slang? I love rhyming slang, though, being American, I hardly understand a word of it. On an episode of QI Stephen Fry gave an example of second generation rhyming slang: somehow Listerine meant anti-American -- something to do with antiseptic...so brilliant, but I forget how it worked.
It's a bit convoluted, but it may have to do with the fact that "seppo" is Australian slang for an American -- from "septic tank," which rhymes with "Yank."

As for the Milhouse thing, all I know is that he's a character on The Simpsons.
That was it! It was septic tank -> yank, anti-septic ->anti-American, Listerine=antiseptic. Freaking brilliant!

Yeah, I knew the Simpsons Milhous, of course, named after Richard Milhous Nixon. I was trying to think of rhymes for dicky, dick, etc.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:28 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
tsq's moxie in this thread is all copacetic to me. Everything's coming up milhouse!
Coming up milhous? Is that rhyming slang? I love rhyming slang, though, being American, I hardly understand a word of it. On an episode of QI Stephen Fry gave an example of second generation rhyming slang: somehow Listerine meant anti-American -- something to do with antiseptic...so brilliant, but I forget how it worked.


Oh dear best laugh I've had all day!

Australians generally only use rhyming slang when overseas or faced with a mob of english speakers from another country when they have to desperately dredge up any distinctiveness and parade it around the place, the more cryptic the better. It's very old school stuff.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:30 AM   #22
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

^I'm baffled! What's milhous?!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:37 AM   #23
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral
 
Flux Capacitor's Avatar
 
Location: SPACESHIP!
Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^I'm baffled! What's milhous?!


__________________
"I'm a fan of good sci-fi. Star Trek. Battlestar. That Joss Whedon show." - Nathan Fillion, Castle
Flux Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:38 AM   #24
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

Milhouse is a dweeby fellow from the Simpsons who when things finally went his way one episode declared, "everything's coming up milhouse!"

I'm just using words invented this century to prove my point without banging on and frakking with your patience.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:38 AM   #25
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^I'm baffled! What's milhous?!


I forgot that scene! Awwwww. That was adorable.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:41 AM   #26
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

teacake wrote: View Post
Milhouse is a dweeby fellow from the Simpsons who when things finally went his way one episode declared, "everything's coming up milhouse!"

I'm just using words invented this century to prove my point without banging on and frakking with your patience.
Bitch, for ten minutes I was trying to get "everything's coming up roses" to rhyme with Nixon!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:52 AM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

I think I confused people in the Voyager forum when I made reference to Neelix being on the 'intergalactic nonce jotter'

Nonce = Pedophile

Jotter = Register/notebook
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:53 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

You can't do that tsq, only Nixon can go to China.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 09:54 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I think I confused people in the Voyager forum when I made reference to Neelix being on the 'intergalactic nonce jotter'

Nonce = Pedophile

Jotter = Register/notebook
We probably just thought you were Guy.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:05 AM   #30
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

teacake wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I think I confused people in the Voyager forum when I made reference to Neelix being on the 'intergalactic nonce jotter'

Nonce = Pedophile

Jotter = Register/notebook
We probably just thought you were Guy.
I can see the confusion, Guy is a Kiwi and comes from a place with lots of sheep, I am a sheep-shagger (Welsh*).




* when it suits me.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.