Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 22 2013, 03:46 AM   #61
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: New Zealand legalises same-sex marriage

and I see that slavery is approved of in the New Testament not just the Old Testament.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 03:46 AM   #62
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Slavery is fine, just treat your slaves humanely and God loves you. Stone your wife because you don't like her and God loves you.

Divorce your wife and you can never marry again. Better to stone her. Widowers can remarry.

I John 4:20 "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?"
Matthew 22:37-40 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
"This is the first and great commandment.
"And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
"On these two commandments hang ALL the law and the prophets."
Your turn, Brent. Please use actual New Testament scripture to support your argument. So far, you have not.
Old April 22 2013, 04:23 AM   #63
Candlelight
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
God is the only one with the authority to judge marriage, he has done so, and he has defined it. I'm going to go with God on this one.
Marriage pre-dates Christianity. It is not yours to "define".
Old April 22 2013, 07:18 AM   #64
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Candlelight wrote: View Post
God is the only one with the authority to judge marriage, he has done so, and he has defined it. I'm going to go with God on this one.
You're right, it's Gods, I never said it was mine to define. He defined it, the creator of you, the one who made all of us, the one who created marriage in the first place, has defined it. I'm certainly not the one that's going to go up against that. He is the only one with the authority to define and judge marriage. He has a plan for marriage, and the Bible describes it quite well. So I'm going with God on this topic.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 07:29 AM   #65
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
You're right, it's Gods, I never said it was mine to define. He defined it, the creator of you, the one who made all of us, the one who created marriage in the first place, has defined it. I'm certainly not the one that's going to go up against that. He is the only one with the authority to define and judge marriage. He has a plan for marriage, and the Bible describes it quite well. So I'm going with God on this topic.
So everyone else should have to live by laws of the god you believe in? Of all the gods in all the history of mankind, yours, and your narrow interpretation of his view on gays (because, face it, not everyone who believes in your god has a problem with them), is the correct one and should be imposed upon all others? That's pretty horrible. And I mean that word in the litteral sense -- that is truly, utterly, horrible.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 07:30 AM   #66
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

And what if I am not a Christian? Or if I belong to a Christian church that reads the bible differently than you? Should I still abide by your rules when I marry?
Old April 22 2013, 07:43 AM   #67
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

So everyone else should have to live by laws of the god you believe in?
Should be changed to: Everyone else should have to live by the laws of God. There is only one.

Of course, we make the choice to follow his laws, or not, that is the choice we must all make. It isn't about religion, or denomination, or any of that crap, it's about faith, it's about your choice to follow Gods laws. I'm not going to make anyone do anything they don't want to do, choice is yours. I'm just telling you where I stand on the topic, and hope others listen with an open mind. I make no judgements, it is not my place to do so. If anyone is seeking God, by all means PM me, I'd be happy to talk about it. There is hope in this life.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 07:44 AM   #68
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I'm not going to make anyone do anything they don't want to do, choice is yours. I'm just telling you where I stand on the topic, and hope others listen with an open mind. I make no judgements, it is not my place to do so.
So God is your rottweiler not the other way around?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 08:01 AM   #69
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Brent;7982140]
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Should be changed to: Everyone else should have to live by the laws of God. There is only one.

Of course, we make the choice to follow his laws, or not, that is the choice we must all make. It isn't about religion, or denomination, or any of that crap, it's about faith, it's about your choice to follow Gods laws. I'm not going to make anyone do anything they don't want to do, choice is yours. I'm just telling you where I stand on the topic, and hope others listen with an open mind. I make no judgements, it is not my place to do so. If anyone is seeking God, by all means PM me, I'd be happy to talk about it. There is hope in this life.
Maybe if you used your judgement you'd see how cruel and wrong it is to call two adults' love for one another "sad." You might see that your bigoted opinions cause real harm to the people at the receiving end of your god's confused morality. That they are very real victims of hate and discrimination, that is not only threatening to their happiness, but also to their lives. Maybe if you used your judgement you would see that there is no logic in your stance, and that many others who believe in the Christian god can reconcile their belief with homosexuality. Maybe if you used your judgement you would see that the Bible is so full of contradictions, that one cannot possibly live by every word, that one must pick and choose, and that perhaps, if one must be a believer, the best thing to do is to pick and choose the path of kindness and goodness, not hate. I suspect you don't think slavery is right? or the stoning of rape victims who refuse to marry their rapists? or that wearing polyester blends is a sin? You've already pruned out many of the most hateful things your religion has historically taught, why not prune out one more? This is the time to use your judgement.

As for faith -- that word has no positive connotation for me. Faith is believing in things without evidence. It is another word for foolishness. The god you have described despises love and equality. It makes me grateful that I was never taught to have faith in such disturbing dogma. However, I do have hope. So much hope! New Zealand gives me hope. The fact that nation after nation is legalizing same-sex marriage, that the majority of Americans now support the right of gays to wed, and that mankind seems to be moving (if very, very slowly) away from primitive superstition and towards humanism and reason gives me great hope.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 08:08 AM   #70
Roger Wilco
Admiral

You're right, it's Gods, I never said it was mine to define. He defined it, the creator of you, the one who made all of us, the one who created marriage in the first place, has defined it.
But why are you ignoring J.Allen's comments that clearly show, "God" not only "defined" marriage as "one man and one woman", but made a whole lot of other stipulations too, such as that a woman has to be a virgin before marriage and re-marrying after divorce is adultery?

I don't recall there being any movement to outlaw divorce and re-marriage, despite those things being undoubtedly a much bigger threat to straight marriage than gays opting in.
Old April 22 2013, 08:13 AM   #71
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

What annoys me is that Christians that oppose gay marriage seem to have no problem with calling my marriage to a violent, controlling man a 'marriage' and yet want to disallow two men, or two women, who love and respect each other from expressing their genuine love.

My ex-husband is onto his fourth marriage and yet no Christian seems to be callling for such marriages not to be allowed to take place.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 08:16 AM   #72
sojourner
Admiral

I make no judgements, it is not my place to do so.
Yet you have, in God's name by pretending to know God's will. You have judged others based on a book written by men that also pretend to know God's will. How do you presume to know what God wants?

The whole concept of the Bible, a book written over centuries by different people, a book touted as "the word of God", is the height of hypocrisy.
Old April 22 2013, 08:50 AM   #73
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

If you want to worship Allah that's your business but don't blunt my mellow by forcing it on me.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:46 AM   #74
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

To J, we live in a new testament world, you know that.
Speak for yourself. I'm a Jewboy.
Old April 22 2013, 12:11 PM   #75
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

brent you have been completely undermined by the bible. seems gods will was to make you look a fool.

if there was one true god. wouldn't there actually be only one god for people to worship?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote