Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 25 2013, 07:25 PM   #91
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Re: Glee - Season Four

It's a far cry from the brlliance of season 1 and 2. Season 3 made me quit and only when a friend (who was equally turned off and whom i initially turned to Glee) told me that season 4 is actually shaping up to be quite good did i start watching again.

It's ok.. it's not as bad as season 3 with a few exceptions but once in a while i find myself skipping ahead to the next music number to see if it's worth it. Well.. i'm mid 30s and school drama is was beyond me so i don't believe i'm missing much.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 08:42 PM   #92
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

With Blake, Chord, and the new Puckerman, and of course, Darren, the series has its eye candy. Since (after the first 13 episodes) it was never anything seriously more than eye/ear candy to begin with, I suppose that's good enough for me. For now.
Old March 26 2013, 01:55 AM   #93
Mike Farley
Commodore

Next season is really iffy for me. I hate everything that happens in New York. There hasn't been a single interesting thing to come out of that plot thread.

BUT, back in Lima I don't think that-- outside of Unique and Kitty--the 2.0 cast can carry the show.

So once the current senior cast moves on to reoccurring character status, I'm not sure what's going to hold me to the series.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 11:40 PM   #94
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Just curious what did everyone think of Last night's episode of Glee. I've been thinking about the episode quite a bit today, and there's really only one thing that I kept coming back to:

Is there a right time and place to do an episode like this? I mean yes it's based in a High School and school shootings are the topic de jour at the moment, but Glee had just come back from a 3 week hiatus and this was an episode we came back to. I hadn't kept up with Glee promos in those three weeks, so I was racking my brain trying to come up with what the last episode was about. I think it was the guilty pleasures episode but the story is still fuzzy. I just felt for them to bring Glee back with a story that's "ripped from the headlines" instead of continuing the stories that we had (Again, I'm trying to remember those stories) before the break seemed really really surprising to me.

Also, the more I think about this episode the more I find it insulting and exploitive, and one of the reasons for that is they made Becky the one who had the gun. Way to, once again, spit all over the mentally disabled. I almost get this sense that the Mentally disabled have become the new scapegoats like the Muslims became after 9/11. To exploit that in this episode and to extend that thought felt disingenuous and unfortunate.

I did think the scene in the choir room was one of the most gripping scenes in the series though. They really portrayed the subject of losing innocence and that "safety net" really well and the episode would have been a lot better had they continued that part of the story. Instead we are left thinking if Jane Lynch is really leaving the series, and that is, again, unfortunate.
Old April 13 2013, 12:01 AM   #95
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment, but I think this article does have some interesting points to present:

Five Reasons Why This Was The Worst Episode of glee Ever.
Old April 13 2013, 11:56 AM   #96
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I quite enjoyed it. I'd rank it in my top five episodes this season. I thought everyone gave it their all with their performances and Jane Lynch never fails to impress. I didn't miss NYC for once and thought the directing was top notch also. This was the first episode the newbies seemed truly interesting to me and the first time I could see myself enjoying a show focused on just them. Not that I want that of course.

I am enjoying Ryder's catfishing story-line and have no idea who it could be. I look forward to finding out in the season finale. The first third of the episode being so "uneventful" really helped convey how random a huge event can be.

It doesn't matter that it wasn't an actual shooting and I don't consider it a ploy to grab ratings since it wasn't even mentioned in ANY of the promos aired for the show. It was refreshing to see a "shooting" from the viewpoint of the victims and how the event (real or not) has a huge impact on their lives.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 12:29 PM   #97
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

When they did this in Greys Anatomy, they lost 4 supporting characters and gave a couple of the leads sex scars.

Does her breakdown have anything to do with Beckie trying to frakk Artie a couple weeks back?

If he went through with it, or rejected her, either eventuality could be traumatizing.

(I saw this Downs Syndrome Fellah having sex with a prostitute at a wedding on Legit earlier today. His money is as good as anyone elses? Meh?)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 06:21 PM   #98
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

The first half of the episode was amazing and when the gun went off I almost couldn't believe it was happening. I was transfixed. But then the shooting was revealed and I can't help but think it was a bit of a let down. I mean, I like the idea the Sue is being noble and protecting Becky, but I think it would have been more powerful had there been an actual shooting and one or two of the characters had died (I actually thought there were going this way when Tina wasn't in the room).

Also, Sue's last words to Figgins seemed to be in defense of gun ownership, which to me was at odds with what the episode was trying to prevent.

The Catfish storyline is interesting. I thought it would turn out to be Unique.

I liked that Ken Tanaka is Bieste's match

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 06:17 PM   #99
propita
Rear Admiral

Ken Tanaka "cameo"? Great!!

The shooting? Actually not bad, imo. The absence of information was an interesting take. Rarely is it shown what is going on with everyone else--the scared waiting and not-knowing what the hell is going on. Is it clear? Is the killer coming your way? Is the pounding at the door the killer or another innocent trying to hide?

As for Sue, I'm hoping she's gone. I really like Jane Lynch, but Sue was written WAY more schizo than even Janeway! She's bad, she's bad, she's awful, her actions are criminal...and then she redeems herself. Repeat for a few more episodes. Repeat for the next season, too. While it may have been fun to portray, Lynch is too good of an actress to not have gotten tired or frustrated or something with the inconsistencies. Hopefully, she has other good roles lined up.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:28 PM   #100
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Jane Lynch is still on the show, she is just not in the school, she is under contract and can't have other roles most likely.
Old April 21 2013, 01:04 PM   #101
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

And Glee has been renewed for TWO more seasons.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/19/gl...d-two-seasons/

While I haven't watched all of the current season, I'm still honestly surprised. Are YOU?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:41 PM   #102
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If you spend you life watching reruns of Teen Mom 2 and And the real House Wives of Atlanta, then this would seem like quality programming for children coming down from the highs of watching American Idol.

I have a clear as crystal memory of watching the Muppet Show when I was three years old disappointed that they kept interrupting all the lovely singing with the tedious impassioned ultradrama going on behind stage at the Muppet Theatre.

We were all young and stupid once.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:23 PM   #103
ialfan
Fleet Captain

It was a pleasant surprise. Not that Fox has much else going for it these days.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:56 PM   #104
mswood
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment, but I think this article does have some interesting points to present:

Five Reasons Why This Was The Worst Episode of glee Ever.
Not really, nor even close.

IF you seriously read this and think the poster has legitimate points then you need to pay more attention to the show. Because pretty much wrong on every single count, with one exception.

For example, Becky has shown strength of character and empowerment by mimicking Sue, and when she has been cut off from Sue we see how vulnerable she actually is. It's also been shown concerning how she realizes the world see's her on at least 3 other episodes, including one the poster mentions and seems to forget those character fears were displayed for the audience to see. And its been shown that she uses her "sue" behavior to masks how she really feels. And its been done on more then one occasion.

The only legitimate point the poster makes here is why would she bring the gun to school. That's the one place Becky does manage to thrive (for the most part), its outside the school that terrifies her.

Poster found the kids behavior, locked in the choir room repulsive. Well might I suggest the poster do some actual research on how people, specifically teens behave under pressure. As for the kids taping messages to their loved ones, that's literally based on several real life events, involving school aged kids, not to mention adults in situations where they fear for their lives. It's not exploitive, its actual somewhat normal behavior under massive life threatening stress.

Comments about Beiste and Will. Whats so hard to understand about a character developing feelings towards basically the only adult male who's ever treated her with any sort of real respect? There was only one thing (besides the cooking in the hot tube background elements) and that was having Tanaka being a match for her, as Tanaka was portrayed as an utter waste and failure on so many levels.

THen their comments about Will be just a little bit of a nicer person then her ax who beat her. And how Will is a terrible person. Seriously? Well for the most part the male adult characters make Will look a huge catch. Only Burt has been portrayed as a better adult male on Glee.

Really the only elements of this episode that were bad, was Brittany/ Sam and that stupid fucking cat. AS opposed to the Brittany in the bathroom which was quite a nice little performance. In fact the material about Brittany/ Tubington was some of the worst material Glee has put out, not the elements that poster spoke of?
Old April 21 2013, 09:17 PM   #105
mswood
Rear Admiral

Glee has huge issues. Single biggest character issue is Sue. One of the biggest mistakes the writers made was Making Sue's behavior's larger and larger. Lynch is absolutely wasted in the ole as its no longer funny in any real way.

2nd is Will, when the show started we got to see much more coverage on the adult storyline that was centered on the character of Will. But by the half point of the 1st season it was dropped, and then focused solely on Emma, Sue and the students. The character has always had issues (why do you think he stayed with Terri for so long). But now to show that side of his character its getting to the school and not just with Sue or Emma but his actions with his students (this is fairly new) and is massively harmful for the character. An episode here or there OK, I can understand, but that behavior can't remain with the students. Part of me wishes to see him and Emma and Sue completely removed from the show.

Two many characters. The show has tried to have its cake and eat it too. Clearly the show is going to feature Rachel, Kurt, Finn, probably Santana until its end. They remain (with a couple of other exceptions) the stars of the show. But the show didn't just include those characters this year, they also tried to include every single cast member who graduated last fall. That was a huge, huge mistake.

And while I have liked a couple of episodes that have focused on the new students, I still over all prefer the New York characters.

They really need to cut the dead weight on this cast. Actress who played Brittany is pregnant, so I am hoping they drop her character (really, really wish this as I think for the most part Brittany is a one note joke that stopped being funny in season two).

It appears that the show is now setting up three locations for stories. New York, Lima High and the university of Lima.

All I can say is they better really focus on characters, because with this large of cast it does no good for anyone.