Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 20 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

The good things thread

After this week's bad news I think it's high time to remember that there are still quite a lot of good things in life.

So, if you find something positive, please post it here. Everything counts: from the first rainbow (we had one last week. YAY!!!) to world peace (*sigh* if only..)

As a starter here's something really good that happened in France:

A final-stadium cancer patient was on board an ambulance that was supposed to take him to an examination when the driver of that ambulance suffered a heart attack. The patient gave him an injection with something that keeps the blood from clotting and drove him to the emergency entrance of the closest hospital.

An article about it can be found here: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/patient-tak...8.html#2u0AUM5

Totally awesome guy!! =)
(and it shows that long-term patients learn a good deal of medicine themselves )
Old April 21 2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: The good things thread

This may not be newsworthy but, today I mowed my lawn. After two surgeries, April 3rd followed by an emergency follow-up April 10th... and complications ensued. I'd say that qualifies as a "good thing". Yes, it was a riding mower and only 2 acres but, to me, it was a big thing.
Old April 21 2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

my pot roast sandwich is a very good thing
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 11:34 AM   #4
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The beer is now COLD.

Part two of a Farscape trilogy awaits!

Also, hummous.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Avon
Fleet Captain

sephiroth, that's one ugly patterned plate

as for good things: it's the weekend, he suns shining, i have a pint of tea and i've just bought a new violin

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:06 PM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

junxon wrote: View Post
sephiroth, that's one ugly patterned plate
AND it has a crack!

:: pats sephiroth gently ::

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Australis
Writer

Not new, but I think this is an awesome pic:

As a mid 50s guy, I shouldn't use the word awesome... but it really is awesome.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:21 PM   #8
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

My husband made a wonderful cheese and veg omelet this morning. And our daffodils are in bloom.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Jespah, may I borrow your hubby? I'd love to have a man who can cook (and do the dishes ) And could we get a pic of those daffodils, please? I hear the Canadians still have snow and I bet they could do with something pretty to cheer them up.

hey Australis! *hugs* Long time no see! Awesome isn't exactly the first word that came to my mind. My first one was "cute!!"

junxon, what kind of a violin is it? For classical music or folk? Professional or hobby quality? (Btw, I think the pattern might not look all that bad at daylight. The yellowish colour of the photo makes it difficult to decide)

teacake, I love Farscape. Are there several trilogies? It's been years since I last saw an epi

Sephiroth, it's a bit difficult to tell with that light - is that half a peach on top of the meat? That would be a yummy combination!

Sector 7, that's cool news! Congratulations at your speedy recovery!! Freshly mowed lawn has such a wonderful scent! I wish they'd find a way to bottle it. Imagine it's winter and you feel depressed and then open a bottle of lawn scent - it'd be like instant summer!

My good thing today: got up very early, had a huge English breakfast (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, toast and excellent tea) and then spent all day on the roof terrace in the sun, reading The Chronicles Of Narnia and listening to wonderful quiet music (Telemann, Gluck, Bach sen., Mozart, Satie, Debussy, Dvorac) - simply a perfect day *sigh* (and my young and handsome neighbour having a sunbath with nothing but a tiny tanga certainly improved the view *smirk* -sadly, he's gay)
Old April 21 2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Avon
Fleet Captain

it's a stentor student violin, so not super amazing, but fairly dependable. but as i won it on ebay for £11, i'm pretty pleased. used to play violin when i was younger and wished i hadn't stopped. i seem to be accumulating musical instruments, though its just hobby level messing around

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Random bits of goodness in my life currently:

For seven years, I have worked the weekends. I have never complained about this to my employer even though it can be frustrating on my social life at times. My personal life is at the point where I really need some semblance of a traditional weekend, so I finally said something to my boss. Within a week, she was able to facilitate a change so that I now have Fridays and Saturdays off (and by mid-summer I may have the opportunity to adjust my schedule again to get Saturdays and Sundays off). This is a huge deal for me and will allow me to more easily spend time with my significant other and my friends.

Yesterday (my first free Saturday), we stayed in bed until 12:30pm and then spent a nice chunk of the afternoon at a beautiful park in the city, frolicking in the sun and taking pictures of the recently-blooming flowers. It was pretty amazing.

In ten days, one of my oldest, best friends is flying into town for his annual vacation/trip back home. Looking forward to spending some time with him.

In less than a month, I'll be embarking on my own vacation - two weeks in the UK. I haven't been back since 2005 so I'm excited to visit again.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 09:33 PM   #12
publiusr
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post

That is very nice.
I fondly remember (Parts of) my first day at school. The smell of sharpened pencils and loose leaf paper...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 11:56 PM   #13
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post

I love the photo! And give you permission to use the word awesome, as long as it's for something truly awesome, not just as a synonym for good or nice.

Which reminds me of a good thing: one of my few pleasant memories from right after my big surgery two years ago is telling a friend that I couldn't believe that the neurosurgery residents were so young, they were describing me (my recovery) as awesome.

And, speaking of that friend -- my former husband, actually -- and recovery of a different kind, today's good thing: I went to his AA meeting w/ him to celebrate his eighth anniversary of sobriety. Yay, Joe!

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; April 22 2013 at 12:21 AM.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

it's a plate from the '70's, belonged to my grandmother hasn't shattered yet so I haven't replaced it
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Snaploud
Admiral

I've fully moved into a beautiful new apartment rental with a short commute to work, and I'm getting married soon.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote