RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 772
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Rate episode 7x09 Hide
Ghost hunts are cool! 52 46.85%
Somewhat spirited 43 38.74%
A night like any other 9 8.11%
Best left hidden 4 3.60%
If not for those meddling kids... 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21 2013, 03:09 PM   #61
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Re: 7x09 Hide - rating and discussion thread

It reminded me, somewhat, of Sapphire & Steel as well.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:55 PM   #62
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

4 out of 5. Almost a 5. Both Smith and Coleman did a great job. The guest characters felt like real people. High marks for the creepy atmosphere.

I loved the theme that things aren't as scary once you have more information. We saw that with the "ghost", which was really just a lost relative. We also saw that with the beast, which just wanted to be with its loved one. When the Doctor said, what's the opposite of "ignorance is bliss", my first thought was "fear".

It wasn't perfect. I was skeptical of the voice operated TARDIS or the fact that it could save the Doctor herself. He'd never be in danger then! Also, the whole love thing tying the universes together was a bit too emo for me.

Nice shoutout to Metebelis III, just wish that Smith would've pronounced it correctly!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 04:01 PM   #63
sonak
Vice Admiral

like much of this season, I thought it was okay, nothing special.

the plot reminded me a little of the STTNG episode "remember me."

The discussion about people being like "ghosts" to the Doctor was the best part of the episode.
Old April 21 2013, 04:23 PM   #64
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I thought it was a fantastic episode, possibly the best in the season so far.

But...

...the "love story" bit at the end kind of killed it a little, why couldn't the monster have just been that? A malevolent monster the created the pocket universe to eat people or something? The boogeyman! It just felt sort of tacked on at the last minute.
Old April 21 2013, 05:00 PM   #65
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't have a problem with the idea of the monster but I agree that it did come off as a tacked-on afterthought in execution.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:08 PM   #66
Slugboy
Commodore

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
...the "love story" bit at the end kind of killed it a little, why couldn't the monster have just been that? A malevolent monster the created the pocket universe to eat people or something? The boogeyman! It just felt sort of tacked on at the last minute.
I admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the monster love story either. But I figured the writer needed to provide some explanation and/or justification for the monster that was actually in the house (not the pocket universe). The only choices I can think of are:

1. There is a single monster that can freely transport between the pocket universe and our world. But then why wouldn't it simply attack people in the house?
  2. There are two monsters with no love interest, one in the pocket universe and one in the house. But again, why would one be violent and the other not?
  3. There is only one violent monster, in the pocket universe. But then the episode would have been less scary (no handholding gag, no quick cuts of a shifting figure)
  4. Maybe the house monster just happens to be a pacifist or something.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:15 PM   #67
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I might be mis-remembering this but the only 'violent' action the creature takes is to save the Doctor from going over the cliff?

The idea that it is violent seems to exist purely in the head of the Doctor and the others, it is a being rather than a monster.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:37 PM   #68
Slugboy
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I might be mis-remembering this but the only 'violent' action the creature takes is to save the Doctor from going over the cliff?

The idea that it is violent seems to exist purely in the head of the Doctor and the others, it is a being rather than a monster.
Yes, you're right (although I don't know about the cliff thing....I think the monster tackles the Doctor to prevent the Doctor from escaping without him---I could be wrong, though). I was merely responding to the wish of a previous poster that the love story be jettisoned and replaced with a "violent monster who traps and eats people in a pocket universe" story, which would be difficult to explain given that another monster of the same species exists in the house (sure, they could be two totally unrelated monsters with different personalities, but that's not really satisfactory from a dramatic perspective). Basically, the writer needed a plausible way to explain why one monster was waiting around and grabbing people's hands in a house, while another monster was desperate to get to our heroes, and an interdimensional love story fits the bill (I suppose it could also have been a parent-child thing...the monster in the house looked a lot smaller than the other one)
Old April 21 2013, 05:41 PM   #69
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Maybe I missed this - since the Time-Traveller couldn't go home did the Doctor simply leave her in 1974?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:46 PM   #70
davejames
Vice Admiral

Enjoyed this much more than Cold War. Unlike that episode, they actually took the time to establish a creepy atmosphere this time, and the professor and assistant characters came across much more like real people.

And I loved that the story veered off in such a strange, unexpected direction as well (if I didn't know better, I'd think Moffat actually wrote this, because that's more his kooky style). The time travel sequence, and Clara's reaction to it, was brilliant, and the stuff in the pocket universe was beautifully directed as well.

And while I understand those who'd prefer the monster be kept a monster, for me the revelation at the end was so nutty and inspired and off the wall that I couldn't help but love it anyway.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:02 PM   #71
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
And while I understand those who'd prefer the monster be kept a monster, for me the revelation at the end was so nutty and inspired and off the wall that I couldn't help but love it anyway.
Probably worth it just for Matt Smith's reaction when he gets face-to-face with it.
Old April 21 2013, 06:03 PM   #72
Slugboy
Commodore

Maybe I missed this - since the Time-Traveller couldn't go home did the Doctor simply leave her in 1974?
There was no further reference to the fate of Hila Tacorian (the time-traveller) beyond the fact that she couldn't go home. The writer simply decided to leave it out, I suppose (much like the writer of "Cold War" never mentioned how the Doctor got to the South Pole )
Old April 21 2013, 06:17 PM   #73
SeerSGB
Admiral

B+ / A

Clara was good in this one. And the stuff with her and the TARDIS was the best parts. I get the feeling that Sexy is a little jealous of the new girl.

When the Doctor said "Every monster needs a companion", was it me or did that feel like a reference towards the Doctor as much as the creature.
Old April 21 2013, 06:17 PM   #74
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Slugboy wrote: View Post
There was no further reference to the fate of Hila Tacorian (the time-traveller) beyond the fact that she couldn't go home. The writer simply decided to leave it out, I suppose (much like the writer of "Cold War" never mentioned how the Doctor got to the South Pole )
In order to get back Clara's ring she's now working as an apprentice to the barking moped salesman.
Old April 21 2013, 06:20 PM   #75
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Slugboy wrote: View Post

1. There is a single monster that can freely transport between the pocket universe and our world. But then why wouldn't it simply attack people in the house?
I prefer this one, the monster in 1974 is kind of like a "ghost" in that one can only catch glimpses of it, and that certain conditions must be met for it to catch somebody.

Hell, we don't exactly know how Tacorian got trapped there, for all we know it feeds off time (Artron?) energy or something and that's how it creates the pocket 'verse and sustains it.

They can give ANYTHING a timey-wimey explanation!