Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 21 2013, 03:31 PM   #121
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Is J.J. Abams "Star Trek" Sustainable?

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I fear J.J. Abrams has rebooted "Star Trek"

Clearly.

Um, I thought that was the whole idea . . . .
Old April 21 2013, 04:16 PM   #122
horatio83
Commodore

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Just read the following: "‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Trailer: Will Kirk’s Mistake Doom the Enterprise?"

It got me wondering, with the frenetic energy of JJ Abrams "Star Trek" (2009) and promises of more-of-the-same in "Star Trek Into Darkness," can it be sustained or will it lead to burn out (the "candle that burns twice as bright but half as long" syndrome)? Can TPTB successfully shift gears (can't always throw fastballs) to prevent this from happening?

Based on past performance, I don't think so. A third-film won't be able to successfully sustain the frenzy. Abrams is playing all his trump cards with no regard for the future health of this franchise. You can only go bigger so much before the ballon pops. And even if this film is it for him before he goes over to "Star Wars" the same problem will exist for whoever takesover - where do you go next?
Financially it is sustainable. Creatively it is already a zombie as both movies are basically copies of TWOK.
Old April 21 2013, 04:36 PM   #123
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Hogwash. One can find parallels between any story now a days. Whoop-de-doo. Let's be honest here, we are NOT story writers or the creative genuises behind Trek or any motion picture franchise, so who are we to judge the creativity of Abrams and Co?

Why do some people think as such?
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 04:46 PM   #124
horatio83
Commodore

You seriously wanna tell me that you have never ever judged the work of anybody involved in Trek? Hogwash indeed.
Old April 21 2013, 04:48 PM   #125
Gojira
Commodore

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Financially it is sustainable. Creatively it is already a zombie as both movies are basically copies of TWOK.
How can you say that when you haven't even seen the second movie yet?
Old April 21 2013, 04:56 PM   #126
horatio83
Commodore

The villain is obviously Khan (and even if he isn't the story plays along the same revenge lines as TWOK 2.0 aka NEM and TWOK 3.0 aka NEM 2.0 aka ST09), there is Carol Marcus, there is at least a visual reference to Spock's death scene and so on.
This isn't particularly surprising. They were able to get away with copying when they did ST09 and they were hugely successful so why shouldn't they be conservative (meaning risk-averse) and stick to what has worked?
Old April 21 2013, 05:03 PM   #127
Gojira
Commodore

The villain is obviously Khan (and even if he isn't the story plays along the same revenge lines as TWOK 2.0 aka NEM and TWOK 3.0 aka NEM 2.0 aka ST09), there is Carol Marcus, there is at least a visual reference to Spock's death scene and so on.
This isn't particularly surprising. They were able to get away with copying when they did ST09 and they were hugely successful so why shouldn't they be conservative (meaning risk-averse) and stick to what has worked?
JJ likes to trick people so I wouldn't put too much stock in the evidence from the trailer. All I know is that it isn't a movie I have seen before. Sure it may have similar elements but any franchise film is going to have that and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Last edited by Gojira; April 21 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:14 PM   #128
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Almost any story can be broken down to such generalities that it becomes comparable to scads of other stories in its genre or within a single series. Every episode of "Columbo" was basically the same type of story, so was "House". Almost all murder mystery and medical shows follow the same basic plot formula (baddie of the week; disease of the week). It's the nature of mass entertainment going back to Shakespeare.
It's interest in the characters and the quality of the production that often sustain rather simple stories and themes. The tried and true themes (vengeance, redemption, forgiveness, justice, whatever) are visited over and over again because they create interesting situations and challenge characters.
Old April 21 2013, 05:31 PM   #129
horatio83
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
JJ likes to trick people so I wouldn't put too much stock in the evidence from the trailer. All I know is that it isn't a movie I have seen before. Sure it may have similar elements but any franchise film is going to have that and it doesn't bother me one bit.
Yeah, I am sure the guy can perform a Jedi mind trick and eliminate all the footage from the trailer in our minds.
Seriously, of course I could be totally wrong and as most fans didn't seem to mind that the last movie used some elements from TWOK (some were also a copy of a copy, NEM; e.g. the bald guy with the giant-ship and a strange motivation to go after a main character or the way the Romulans have been messed up, once as victims from the dark side of the moon and once as Tattoomulans) they will probably not mind it when they get the whole thing again. If you like the taste twice in a row (thrice to be precise) isn't bad.
Old April 21 2013, 05:37 PM   #130
Gojira
Commodore

Gojira wrote: View Post
Yeah, I am sure the guy can perform a Jedi mind trick and eliminate all the footage from the trailer in our minds.
Seriously, of course I could be totally wrong and as most fans didn't seem to mind that the last movie used some elements from TWOK (some were also a copy of a copy, NEM; e.g. the bald guy with the giant-ship and a strange motivation to go after a main character or the way the Romulans have been messed up, once as victims from the dark side of the moon and once as Tattoomulans) they will probably not mind it when they get the whole thing again. If you like the taste twice in a row (thrice to be precise) isn't bad.
Are you going to see the movie?
Old April 21 2013, 05:45 PM   #131
horatio83
Commodore

Only if I am in the mood for an action movie.
Old April 21 2013, 05:48 PM   #132
Gojira
Commodore

Only if I am in the mood for an action movie.
I do hope you enjoy it if you do see it.
Old April 21 2013, 05:55 PM   #133
horatio83
Commodore

Thanks, I also hope that you take the maximum enjoyment out of ST12. I might have a very low opinion about the writers but gee, everything else about STXI, acting, pacing, the visual side and so on, was absolutely perfect and most definitely will also be thus in this movie.
Old April 21 2013, 06:09 PM   #134
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

You seriously wanna tell me that you have never ever judged the work of anybody involved in Trek? Hogwash indeed.
I have, but not as unfairly (or to the extremes) as the "fans" have this time through.

It's very doom and gloom where it should be hope and celebration.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:16 PM   #135
horatio83
Commodore

There, you got me. I am not a fan but only a "fan" (i.e. not a real fan) because I only view everything about ST09 except for the abysmal writing to be top notch. The party requires 100%, everything else is unacceptable.