Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Devil's Bargain.
Outstanding 7 13.46%
Above Average 17 32.69%
Average 14 26.92%
Below Average 12 23.08%
Poor 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3 2013, 11:44 PM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: TOS: Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel Review Thread (Spoilers!)

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Speaking of forgotten books, I have this vague memory of a scene involving a graphic description of a Klingon mind-sifter, involving (among other things) heavy leather restraint straps. Anybody have a clue what I could be half-remembering?
It could be "Mind-sifter" from Star Trek: The New Voyages (though your memory of the straps could be from the straitjacket at the 1950s mental institution where Kirk ends up there), or maybe Ishmael, or maybe "Chaotic Response" from Constellations. Those are the only mind-sifter-based stories I can think of.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 06:10 AM   #77
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
(Didn't the book say that "Slider Dan" was the name the Janus VI miners gave him, or am I misremembering that? It would be cool if he was actually Naraht... but I have no idea if Tony Daniel has even heard of Naraht.)
My theory: Margaret Clark was editor for this one, and she certainly knows of Naraht. Only four of the five Star Clan Hortas are named in the novel (Slider Dan, Missile-in-Rock, Hot-John and Crumblecake), and five Hortas are said to be off to the Academy. Naraht was probably the fifth one in the new clan, without spelling it out.

I read it as my returning-home-from-UK novel and enjoyed it a lot. A few things seemed off. The romance stuff was clunky. Is Spock really that much taller than Kirk that only one of them was uncomfortable walking in low caves?

The Horta stuff was great, but then I've also enjoyed Diane Duane's Naraht scenes - and past Horta-centred novels by other authors, such as the novels "Dyson Sphere" and "Devil in the Sky".

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
One thing about Naraht: when I looked him up on Memory Beta, I found given names attached to him that I never saw before. Whence came they?
IIRC, this is from his personnel file in the text-based computer game, "The Kobayashi Alternative", in which he is a featured player. (Ah, CLB has already confirmed it.)

Ktrek wrote: View Post
It was so poorly written it has me even thinking about no longer collecting Star Trek fiction.
That's a bit rough: judging all future ST fiction because you disliked one new book's style. If you're that worried about being exposed to such books, why not wait till some reviews come out before rushing to buy?

Last edited by Therin of Andor; April 21 2013 at 06:24 AM. Reason: more
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:35 PM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Is Spock really that much taller than Kirk that only one of them was uncomfortable walking in low caves?
Nimoy is three and a half inches taller than Shatner (6'1" and 5'9.5").

This is neat... in IMDb's search bar, William Shatner is the first name the autocomplete thingy suggests once you've typed as far as "William S" (whereas "Patrick S" gives Swayze first and Stewart second). And once you get as far as "Leona," Leonard Nimoy's name comes up second after Leonardo DiCaprio. They're still big names after all these years.

Old April 21 2013, 06:28 PM   #79
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

I'm with Ian. I enjoyed this one a lot. Nothing "earth-shattering" but I gave it an "above average."

It was entertaining, breezy, not particularly deep. A good 5-year mission romp. And I always enjoy the Horta.

I wondered about Nahrat too. I sort of imagined he was in there somewhere, and this was how some of the Horta (including him) ended up in Starfleet.

It reminded me of the old numbered novels: fun, exciting, a quick read, a little shallow. But, that's exactly the kind of story I was in the mood for so that's okay. I love the deeper, weightier novels we've tended to get lately but they don't ALL have to be that way.
Old April 21 2013, 08:36 PM   #80
JD
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Ktrek wrote: View Post
It was so poorly written it has me even thinking about no longer collecting Star Trek fiction.
That's a bit rough: judging all future ST fiction because you disliked one new book's style. If you're that worried about being exposed to such books, why not wait till some reviews come out before rushing to buy?
I think it's also worth pointing out that this is also a standalone by a new author, so it wouldn't be hard to just pretend it doesn't exist, if you hate it that much.
Old April 21 2013, 11:55 PM   #81
Relayer1
Commodore

Just about to start this.

I'm not really looking forward to it though. I haven't really enjoyed TOS novels much over the last few years, even the occasional good one - Ive just finished Allegiance in Exile and it was pretty well written.

I think its just that I find TOS books uninteresting...
Old April 22 2013, 01:59 AM   #82
Therin of Andor
Admiral

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
I wondered about Nahrat too. I sort of imagined he was in there somewhere, and this was how some of the Horta (including him) ended up in Starfleet.
At first I was expecting Slider Dan to be revealed as Naraht at the end, but Naraht's introduction in "My Enemy, My Ally" doesn't suggest such a well-established rapport between Spock, Kirk and Naraht, simply that they "knew" his Mother. So leaving Naraht as the unnamed fifth member of Star Clan provides a bit of distance. A name drop at the end would have been fun, but I'm content that it was left open to fan interpretation.
Old April 22 2013, 06:23 PM   #83
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)

My thoughts on the novel:
http://trekbook.blogspot.com/2013/03...s-bargain.html
Old May 5 2013, 07:25 AM   #84
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

Decent with a lot of hit and miss. But mostly hit.

The characterization of the Horta was fantastic. It was so good that I hope this novel is used as the basis for any new Horta characters going forward. I had this vision of a post-script where Slider Dan arrives at Starfleet Academy and admissions mixes up his application and he's then called Cadet Dan Slider.

Liked the development of Vesbius as well.

The rest was a bit cookie-cutter, especially the relationship between Kirk and the love interest "of the week." Same for the villains.
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 12:58 PM   #85
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
Decent with a lot of hit and miss. But mostly hit.

The characterization of the Horta was fantastic. It was so good that I hope this novel is used as the basis for any new Horta characters going forward. I had this vision of a post-script where Slider Dan arrives at Starfleet Academy and admissions mixes up his application and he's then called Cadet Dan Slider.

Liked the development of Vesbius as well.

The rest was a bit cookie-cutter, especially the relationship between Kirk and the love interest "of the week." Same for the villains.
The only nice thing about the love interest of the week is that Kirk now adays seems to be off the abstinence train that he seemed to be on via Arnoldian fiat back in the 90's.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 02:57 PM   #86
Relayer1
Commodore

As I am not a huge fan of TOS novels I have to say that I enjoyed this novel rather more than I expected to. The characterisation was good, the plot moved along nicely and it really captured that TOS feel.

I have some reservations about the orbital mechanics of an asteroid being weeks away and approaching as slowly as it did whilst still being too close to be diverted. Even a relatively small force acting over a long period has a measurable effect and the Enterprise could apply a lot more than a small force. Also, its weapons have been described as being able to lay waste to a planets surface - it could certainly have carved off chunks small enough to be handled by the tractor beams.

Putting that aside though, an enjoyable read. On to Weight of Worlds next...

Last edited by Relayer1; May 6 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 04:11 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I have some reservations about the orbital mechanics of an asteroid being weeks away and approaching as slowly as it did whilst still being too close to be diverted. Even a relatively small force acting over a long period has a measurable effect and the Enterprise could apply a lot more than a small force. Also, its weapons have been described as being able to lay waste to a planets surface - it could certainly have carved off chunks small enough to be handled by the tractor beams.
Tell that to the folks who wrote "The Paradise Syndrome." There they had two months and weren't able to change the asteroid's course even a little. The best available fudge is that both asteroids were simply too massive. After all, a planet's surface is only a thin veneer, a fraction of its total mass.

Old May 6 2013, 06:39 PM   #88
Paris
Commodore

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Also, its weapons have been described as being able to lay waste to a planets surface - it could certainly have carved off chunks small enough to be handled by the tractor beams.
Christopher wrote: View Post
Tell that to the folks who wrote "The Paradise Syndrome." There they had two months and weren't able to change the asteroid's course even a little. The best available fudge is that both asteroids were simply too massive. After all, a planet's surface is only a thin veneer, a fraction of its total mass.
Exactly! I can burn the hair off an arm with a bic lighter easy enough, but i don't think i could cremate someone with it. In my mind, it's an issue of scale..
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:53 PM   #89
MrPjax
Cadet

This book really pissed me off! It suppose to be a TOS series book yet all the characters are written to sound and act like the "Abramverse" Star Trek characters. The author must have done his research off the 2009 movie! I got to chapter 2 and thought I was going to vomit!!
MrPjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:57 PM   #90
Therin of Andor
Admiral

MrPjax wrote: View Post
This book really pissed me off! It suppose to be a TOS series book yet all the characters are written to sound and act like the "Abramverse" Star Trek characters. The author must have done his research off the 2009 movie! I got to chapter 2 and thought I was going to vomit!!
We definitely read different books.