Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 20 2013, 10:52 PM   #226
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Kegg wrote: View Post
An odd choice for the MMO is that only humans and Irathients (the species that Irisa, Nolan's daughter, is) are playable. One would have at least assumed the Castihans would also be playable given the attention the pilot gives to Datak Tarr and his family; while Indogene are likewise humanoid enough to work (and the Sensoth and Liberata fit standard MMO body types).
More player races will be added in the DLC. (Not quite full-fledged expansions, as you posit, though I guess if you buy all of it, the price will be the same.)

So far Indogene, Sensoth, and Liberata exist as NPC character races. Castihans could exist too - I may have mistaken them for human. It's also possible the game decided to stay away from them for now because of all the attention being paid in the show proper.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:54 PM   #227
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hmmm?

This game had to have been rushed.

They probably bought the half finished platform to something else, unless the game came first?

It's possible that the further species are planned for expansion packs which the players have to pay for with real money or earn through excessively loyal game play?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 11:59 PM   #228
cylkoth
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Hmmm?

They probably bought the half finished platform to something else, unless the game came first?

It's possible that the further species are planned for expansion packs which the players have to pay for with real money or earn through excessively loyal game play?
There is no ''which one was developed first'' here. Defiance was developed specifically as a cross platform media production. Meaning everything about everything Defiance was developed to be both a tv series and game simultaneously by the same group of creators.
Old April 21 2013, 12:34 AM   #229
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

After the script/pitch is bought by a producer it takes weeks to months to get a show off the ground and running.

How long does it take a few hundred nerds to write the scripts for this game in a code monkey dungeon? A year or two?

The video game side would have needed a huge amount of lead time, or to have cheated some how, or to have produced a significantly inferior project.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:43 AM   #230
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

After the script/pitch is bought by a producer it takes weeks to months to get a show off the ground and running.

How long does it take a few hundred nerds to write the scripts for this game in a code monkey dungeon? A year or two?

The video game side would have needed a huge amount of lead time, or to have cheated some how, or to have produced a significantly inferior project.

My guess is that the engine is the same as rift, the world is random seed with clutter and the story quest stuff dynamic. Look at the website for the game and that is what it sounds like.
Old April 21 2013, 12:49 AM   #231
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

http://gamerlimit.com/2010/01/trion-...nce-one-earth/
http://trionworlds.com/en/news/press...veal-defiance/

The first announcement came in 2010 (different title, sounds like the same project) and Defiance the game was teased at the 2011 E3.

The Defiance TV series went into production April 2012.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 12:52 AM   #232
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

ATimson wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
An odd choice for the MMO is that only humans and Irathients (the species that Irisa, Nolan's daughter, is) are playable. One would have at least assumed the Castihans would also be playable given the attention the pilot gives to Datak Tarr and his family; while Indogene are likewise humanoid enough to work (and the Sensoth and Liberata fit standard MMO body types).
More player races will be added in the DLC. (Not quite full-fledged expansions, as you posit, though I guess if you buy all of it, the price will be the same.)

So far Indogene, Sensoth, and Liberata exist as NPC character races. Castihans could exist too - I may have mistaken them for human. It's also possible the game decided to stay away from them for now because of all the attention being paid in the show proper.
Don't tempt me with this mmo.. is there a trial thingie you can do for free?

I would think the Castihans would be a natural race choice for popularity so perhaps there is something about them that would be too early revealed if they were in the game.

I'm watching gameplay vids on youtube now.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:25 AM   #233
teacake
Admiral

So the Volge.. are those big Evangelion type robots they have with them living? Or did they build them somewhere off in their Volge hide out?

I looked through the website at all the races and couldn't help thinking it works more as an MMO than a show. But early days. I want a female Liberata warrior to play.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 21 2013, 01:37 AM   #234
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
So the Volge.. are those big Evangelion type robots they have with them living? Or did they build them somewhere off in their Volge hide out?

I looked through the website at all the races and couldn't help thinking it works more as an MMO than a show. But early days. I want a female Liberata warrior to play.
The Volge are only in the pilot for 10 minutes, if that. They look to be giant robot type things. The Mayors assistant is/was something else.
Old April 21 2013, 01:56 AM   #235
teacake
Admiral

The Mayor's assistant was an Indogene. The Liberata was the fur servant of the mine boss. I wasn't connecting them to the Volge in any way.

The Volge are listed as a race. We see them climbing and they appear to be creatures/humanoids in shape but they also have big robots with them. Just wondering if there are Volge driving the big robots or if the big robots are some subspecies of bio-mechanoid Volge?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 21 2013, 02:07 AM   #236
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Don't tempt me with this mmo.. is there a trial thingie you can do for free?
Not yet. (There was a series of betas pre-release, which is how I got my "trial" and decided to pick it up.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:24 AM   #237
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Hmmm?

The show and game have been designed together though they would have licensed an engine instead of building it from the ground up. More races will be added as DLCs
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:36 AM   #238
Christopher
Writer

The Volge are listed as a race. We see them climbing and they appear to be creatures/humanoids in shape but they also have big robots with them. Just wondering if there are Volge driving the big robots or if the big robots are some subspecies of bio-mechanoid Volge?
That doesn't seem to have been established yet in the available reference materials.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 04:05 AM   #239
Anwar
Vice Admiral

So, what did everyone think of tonight's episode? Nice seeing them explore the remains of old St Louis and all that.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:26 AM   #240
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Tonight's ep was really good. It had a distinctly different, more intimate feel to it than the pilot, but there's nothing wrong with that. I liked getting to see both Nolan and Irisa 'on the job', as it were, as lawkeepers, and the backstories we got for McCawley, Stahma, and Nolan were neat.

Speaking of Stahma, I love her benign ruthlessness and control over things. It makes her a more dangerous and interesting character than Datak, and it's neat to see that type of HBIC dynamic juxtaposed against what is essentially a classic Western backdrop.

The end of the ep with Datak pulling a 'Believers' and killing that other Castithan was predictable, but it nonetheless worked well and did what it was designed to do.

I said that I got a distinct Tombstone vibe from the pilot, and while those elements were certainly still there, this ep also reminded me very much of the short-lived series Vanished and Wolf Lake.

BTW, for anyone who might be interested, there's a feature on the official show website that outlines/highlights instances of connectivity between the series and the game. The link is http://www.defiance.com/en/series/ne...ame-meets-show

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote