Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 21 2013, 01:04 AM   #76
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Have we witnessed the death of intelligent TV?

junxon wrote: View Post
no seriously everyone, watch some BBC4. i'm sure you can find it somewhere no matter your location. you'll be like 'i need some dumb tv to cool my brain' afterwards.
Heh. Last night, after watching yet another new (as in "new to us") series on Netflix, hubby turned to me, rather shocked and said, "Do you realize that every new show we've loved in the last two years has been British?"

Ripper Street
Whitechapel
Luther
Wire in the Blood
State Within
Sherlock
Last Enemy
Blue Murder
The Last Detective
Downtown Abbey
Mr. Selfridge

....We've loved all of these, discovered them in the last two years or so, but there aren't many new shows on US TV that we're really enjoying. I think, at best, it's just a lukewarm interest. I think Copper is the only "new" show I really like but it's going into its second year---and it's produced by BBCA. The few US shows that I really care about and appreciate are almost all on cable networks.

So, yeah, I think there's lots of intelligent programming out there, you just have to search for it. But network programming has always been fairly dumb and generally crap, anyway.
Old April 21 2013, 01:15 AM   #77
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

My own impression is that there's enough good stuff out there these days that nobody has to watch "American Hoggers" or "Duck Diaries" unless they want to.

Heck, Monday night alone I had to choose between Bates Motel, Castle, Defiance, and a PBS special on the history of Wonder Woman . . . and I still haven't found time to watch Defiance yet.
Old April 21 2013, 01:18 AM   #78
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
PBS special on the history of Wonder Woman
How'd I miss that?!?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:35 AM   #79
scotpens
Vice Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
There are more good shows, too. There are more shows, full stop.

. . . The proliferation of content may mean you have to wade through more crap to find the good stuff, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Two words: Sturgeon's Law.
Old April 21 2013, 01:55 AM   #80
the G-man
Commodore

okay, forget "Dragnet." What's another old cop show that's doesn't necessarily blow today's cop shows away. "MacMillan and Wife?" "McCloud"? "Starsky & Hutch"?
Easy. "Barney Miller" and "Hill Street Blues," the latter still being on a par with anything on TV today.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 01:56 AM   #81
Avon
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
IndyJones wrote: View Post
There are more good shows, too. There are more shows, full stop.

. . . The proliferation of content may mean you have to wade through more crap to find the good stuff, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Two words: Sturgeon's Law.
is that the british law that like swan, only the queen can eat sturgeon?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:18 AM   #82
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
How'd I miss that?!?
It aired as an episode of Independent Lens, a weekly documentary series. I was keeping an eye out for it, but, yeah, if you weren't looking for it, all you'd see listed was Independent Lens, not "Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines" (which was the full title of the documentary).

FYI: Trek author (and well-known Wonder Woman enthusiast) Andy Mangels was prominently featured in the program.
Old April 21 2013, 02:23 AM   #83
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
How'd I miss that?!?
It aired as an episode of Independent Lens, a weekly documentary series. I was keeping an eye out for it, but, yeah, if you weren't looking for it, all you'd see listed was Independent Lens, not "Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines" (which was the full title of the documentary).

FYI: Trek author (and well-known Wonder Woman enthusiast) Andy Mangels was prominently featured in the program.
Cool, I saw it under "Wonder Women" in OnDemand for $4.99! But now I'm able to record the repeat of Independent Lens instead.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 02:29 AM   #84
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It was an interesting special. The emphasis was on Wonder Woman, but they touched on Xena, Buffy, Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, and the Bionic Woman as well.
Old April 21 2013, 06:36 AM   #85
Ryva Brall
Commander

[QUOTE=auntiehill;7976290]
Heh. Last night, after watching yet another new (as in "new to us") series on Netflix, hubby turned to me, rather shocked and said, "Do you realize that every new show we've loved in the last two years has been British?"

Ripper Street
Whitechapel
Luther
Wire in the Blood
State Within
Sherlock
Last Enemy
Blue Murder
The Last Detective
Downtown Abbey
Mr. Selfridge
How is Mr. Selfridge? I didn't realize it had begun airing on PBS until the second episode, and I'd already missed the first. I suppose they're probably on their website.

Also, did you ever watch Foyle's War? It's about a detective stationed in Hastings during WWII. It's understated, but the writing and acting are both superb. Michael Kitchen is especially wonderful. And it's full of great guest stars, like David Tennant and Emily Blunt and James McAvoy.
Old April 21 2013, 06:53 AM   #86
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I think TV has become more about background noise than straight up focused entertainment. It's on while you're texting, tweeting, and facebooking. There's no strict narrative on most reality shows, so you can catch something to bring out the lulz or the omg, and then go back to your 3.5" backlit social life without missing anything noteworthy.

Just a hypothesis.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:38 AM   #87
Kegg
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I think the OP was referring more to educational material on channels like Discovery and History giving way to fiction based shows. Not that fiction based shows are "getting dumber". That's a different topic.
This is true, but he also suggested that 'network decay' was something that was happening on every network.

Since 'network decay' can mean networks drifting away from their stated niche (like American Movie Classics going from the channel that airs old movies to the channel behind Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead) I'd submit it's not that bad a thing.

Intelligent documentaries still get made, and with streaming services you can watch them at your leisure. We have more flexibility in how we consume TV content then we ever have before. Even if you prefer say older shows, I don't think anyone can fault the evolution of the distribution system that much, even if this means among other things a shift away from networks.
Old April 21 2013, 06:29 PM   #88
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

[QUOTE=Ryva Brall;7977466]
auntiehill wrote: View Post

Ripper Street
Whitechapel
Luther
Wire in the Blood
State Within
Sherlock
Last Enemy
Blue Murder
The Last Detective
Downtown Abbey
Mr. Selfridge
How is Mr. Selfridge? I didn't realize it had begun airing on PBS until the second episode, and I'd already missed the first. I suppose they're probably on their website.

Also, did you ever watch Foyle's War? It's about a detective stationed in Hastings during WWII. It's understated, but the writing and acting are both superb. Michael Kitchen is especially wonderful. And it's full of great guest stars, like David Tennant and Emily Blunt and James McAvoy.
I really like Selfridge; I enjoy the history and the characters a great deal. Having worked retail for years, I find it very interesting how the small things were considered "shocking" back then. Just selling lipstick out in the open was considered obscene back then, so something like Selfridge putting a make-up counter in the store--and then putting up by the door, just freaked people out. I love those kinds of stories. Plus, oddly enough, this is the most subtle performance I've ever seen Piven give---which is funny, because Selfridge is a PT Barnum kind of character. Subtle he was NOT. But by modern standards, he kind of is.

I have only seen a little of Folyle's War. One of these days, I will have to make an effort to actually watch the whole thing.
Old April 21 2013, 07:55 PM   #89
marksound
Fleet Captain

"I wish there was a knob on the TV so you could turn up the intelligence. There's one marked 'Brightness' but it don't work." -Gallagher
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 08:54 PM   #90
not
Lieutenant Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I think TV has become more about background noise than straight up focused entertainment. It's on while you're texting, tweeting, and facebooking. There's no strict narrative on most reality shows, so you can catch something to bring out the lulz or the omg, and then go back to your 3.5" backlit social life without missing anything noteworthy.

Just a hypothesis.
It definitely is just background noise for me despite not texting, tweeting, or facebooking but the cycle of TV entertainment is over and people just don't sit around and listen to the wireless...I mean tv anymore
not is offline   Reply With Quote